Options

Peter is a massive step up from Matt

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Obviously

He just needs a more interesting companion than bland Clara.

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Isn't he just? in one episode he is now completely the Doctor, the 11 cameo was not needed.
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Rubbish. Your talking out of your backsides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All we need now is for Moffat to actually write good story and it will be perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Isn't he just? in one episode he is now completely the Doctor, the 11 cameo was not needed.

Absolutely why did Steven feel that necessary
  • Options
    dirtybobdirtybob Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Not for me.

I had huge reservations about Matt Smith, but I thought he was brilliant.

Peter Capaldi is/was superb as Malcolm Tucker, he needs to be given something more than confused and needy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Rubbish. Your talking out of your backsides.

Welcome to a world with different opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dirtybob wrote: »
    Not for me.

I had huge reservations about Matt Smith, but I thought he was brilliant.

Peter Capaldi is/was superb as Malcolm Tucker, he needs to be given something more than confused and needy.

Have you not seen a regen before, sometimes they are dazed and confused, towards the end his regen was done and he was wonderful.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. Not for me. So far not impressed.

I was hoping he would be a Doctor I Instantly loved. Like David.

Matt grew on me massively. I hope Peter will be do the same. But right now. No thanks.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I much preferred Matt's first ep, and it will forever be my favourite post-regeneration episode.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew to love Matt.

Take a few episodes for me to get Peter.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Doctor I like.

BUT about 20 minutes before the end I started to fidget and got a little bored, solely because there was too much Clara.
    And I failed to understand why she was uncertain about him - after all, we had been led to understand that she had known all the previous Doctors.

PS the new broom, having renewed each part over time, was Trigger's in OFAH
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    I agree, but I did like the cameo, it reminded us that a regeneration is a big deal for a companion who has for very attached to their doctor.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Matt from his first episode. I'm loving Peter, too.

I guess I'm just weird.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me. Matt grabbed me from his first episode. He's very dynamic and naturally very charming. I loved his meeting with Amy Pond in the garden and by the confrontation on the rooftop I was hooked.

Similarly I was really behind 9 and 10 by the end of their first episodes. 10's who section with the Sycorax was superb.

12? He's okay. I'm ambivalent towards him and because they want to go with the mysterious and moody and dark and 'did he kill him?'. I don't care about that character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Matt and think it's too early to judge. But... Whilst the episode was shit (clockwork robots was bad enough the first time and the whole Missy character took an instant dislike to) but I liked the dynamic they brought to the Dr and Clara - seems like might become a more equal companionship. I liked the slightly manic dark side he's brought so maybe with some better story lines... I hold hope.

But they do need to do away with that music they play when Clara is in a scene. Meh.
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Peter was brilliant. He's already the doctor for me
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt' s Doctor asking Clara to recognise and help Peter' s gave me what I felt was missing from the regeneration, some closure for Clara and for us. I loved Matt' s portrayal and I have high hopes for Peter's.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Peter fine thus far, but no I don't agree with the thrust of the OP that it's "obviously" a massive step up. Matt Smith deserves enormous credit for overturning a pretty mixed response to his casting in his first episode and to wind up being acclaimed by the end of his first series.

Always slightly sad that some elements of fandom are incapable of praising one person or thing without it being at the expense of someone or thing else.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt is a step above Peter from that initial first episode if you ask me. Matt was whizz, bam, bang. He was full of energy and we saw several sides to his Doctor all inside 60 minutes.

With Peter, he seemed pretty much the same throughout, quite one-note acting. He wasn't believable in the role and the key problem for me is that all I can see is Malcolm Tucker, not the Doctor, not even Peter Capaldi. I just see Malcolm. It's a testament to how he played that character, but I've struggled with him in everything else I've seen him in.

He's just not the Doctor for me at all...
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Absolutely why did Steven feel that necessary

I disagree.

I understand Clara's difficulties with a new doctor/new personality to a degree, even if she did know about Regeneration, and having 11's phone call was a lovely touch and after that, it seemed like the perfect time to say, this is it, transition over, it's Capaldi's time now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit early to judge him a "massive step up", but he gets a thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Matt' s Doctor asking Clara to recognise and help Peter' s gave me what I felt was missing from the regeneration, some closure for Clara and for us. I loved Matt' s portrayal and I have high hopes for Peter's.

Also it does seem like something Matt's Doctor would do.
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Any new doctor takes time to get into the role. I personally take at least 2 - 3 episodes to adapt to a new doctor.
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member

I agree, don't know why they felt that was neccessary. Maybe so little kids wouldn't be confused or something. It just sort of showed how Capaldi is twice the actor MS is though imo.

The episode could have done with a bit more Doctor and a lot less Clara though.
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I much preferred Matt's first ep, and it will forever be my favourite post-regeneration episode.

Me too but I know Peter will be brilliant.