BBC 10pm News - Alberto Salazar doping allegations

2»

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    You misunderstand me. History programmes are great, it's the obsession with commemorations and celebrations of 40, 50, 60, 70,75, 100 years since this that or the other event on news bulletins that I, and perhaps northantsgirl have a problem with - when they are rammed down the collective throats.

If anything, that is an issue with how society wishes to celebrate/commemorate events. The fact that a commemoration is taking place is then a news event, whether it interests you or not.,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding breaking away from the Diamond League coverage - not that surprising that a programme concerning an athletics event has a current report regarding an athletics coach and doping allegations within athletics.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Not that surprising that a programme concerning an athletics event has a current report regarding an athletics coach and doping allegations within athletics.

Really?

First time I've noticed such a thing happening for decades and I watch a lot of athletics.

Err,,,
    That's why I mentioned it.

When was the last time, oh yes, Munich.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't recall too many high-profile coaches who have had allegations of doping thrown at them as well as those same coaches being linked (in a sporting sense) with a very popular and high-profile British athlete.

So maybe it's not that surprising that, as the story continues to develop even now, it gets a mention on an athletics programme.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    You misunderstand me. History programmes are great, it's the obsession with commemorations and celebrations of 40, 50, 60, 70,75, 100 years since this that or the other event on news bulletins that I, and perhaps northantsgirl have a problem with - when they are rammed down the collective throats.

By forward looking, I mean, for example, that the UK remains obsessed with fighting WW2 (defeating "the Germans") rather than looking forward.

One factor with WWII anniversaries is that these are probably the last ones that many of those who served (or close family) will get chance to attend. The BBC always cover major public events whilst more tabloid style news organisations perhaps do not bother. If people do not want to watch then there are other news organisations that can be watched or read.

WWII had a major effect on the UK and many families, so seems quite reasonable that these anniversaries are commemorated. It is a fact that the war was started by the Germans and they lost so I don't see why there should be a Basil Fawlty style "Don't mention the war".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Today is the 71st anniversary of D Day and I saw a brief mention on BBC Breakfast although the BBC did go big on it last year.

I think it originally it was not planned to have any major commemorations for the 70th anniversary but, as I noted above, it was realised many people will not be around for the 75th anniversary.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    One factor with WWII anniversaries is that these are probably the last ones that many of those who served (or close family) will get chance to attend. The BBC always cover major public events whilst more tabloid style news organisations perhaps do not bother. If people do not want to watch then there are other news organisations that can be watched or read.

WWII had a major effect on the UK and many families, so seems quite reasonable that these anniversaries are commemorated. It is a fact that the war was started by the Germans and they lost so I don't see why there should be a Basil Fawlty style "Don't mention the war".

As far as I'm aware ITV have never covered either the Cenotaph ceremony or the Festival of Remembrance, they don't really do the big public events.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

First time I've noticed such a thing happening for decades and I watch a lot of athletics.

Err,,,
    That's why I mentioned it.

When was the last time, oh yes, Munich.

Have you watched the other Diamond League Highlights programmes this year on the BBC? In each show in between showing the action they have also had little snippets of athletics news from elsewhere so nothing new here. Would have been more odd if they didn't mention it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Exclusive this morning: How Jack Warner embezzled $10 million of FIFA money.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    Investigative journalism is a key differentiator for the BBC and deserves pride of place in its news bulletins.

It's one organisation - why shouldn't the work done by one journalistic team be featured elsewhere? The story was picked up by many other news organisations.

The Andy Coulsen story was huge too - the end of a long running saga.

As for the poor girl who was found hanged and her family - that should be down the running order. There are rules about reporting suicides and usually they're not reported at all to prevent copycat incidents. However this story had to be covered in brief as a conclusion to the missing girl story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    As for the poor girl who was found hanged and her family - that should be down the running order. There are rules about reporting suicides and usually they're not reported at all to prevent copycat incidents. However this story had to be covered in brief as a conclusion to the missing girl story.

Did the BBC speculate on suicide before it was officially announced, I did not hear them doing so? They always stick to what the police have said in their statement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the BBC speculate on suicide before it was officially announced, I did not hear them doing so? They always stick to what the police have said in their statement.

It was a tragic story which had to be covered sensitively and I didn't see any speculation at all on the BBC.Normally they do not give details of the exact method of suicide and I believe it was in the police statement that she she had hanged herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a tragic story which had to be covered sensitively and I didn't see any speculation at all on the BBC.Normally they do not give details of the exact method of suicide and I believe it was in the police statement that she she had hanged herself.
    That only came at least a day later, possibly two days. On the day after she was found it was the standard 'no suspicious circumstances' or similar.

I think also the police just tend to later say something like died by hanging and not believed anyone else involved. It is up to the coroner to say that a death was suicide.
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Very alternative.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That only came at least a day later, possibly two days. On the day after she was found it was the standard 'no suspicious circumstances' or similar.

The police confirmed it was a hanging when they announced they'd found the body

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32996179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police confirmed it was a hanging when they announced they'd found the body

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32996179

They first reports I heard just said they had found a body, as in this report. Unfortunately the 'improved' BBC News website does not seem to put the time on reports.

This is the initial statement from the police, no cause of death given
    UPDATED: Body found in search for missing Amber Peat
    Tue, 02/06/2015 - 20:59

Then an update which does give cause of death, a day later
    AMBER PEAT: STATEMENT UPDATE
    Wed, 03/06/2015 - 17:50

Nottinghamshire Police can confirm that the body discovered in Mansfield on Tuesday evening (2 June 2015) has been identified as that of missing t
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    This was covered in this week's Newswatch; from around 9m46s.

Described variously by one clueless, self-absorbed viewers as "an 8 minute trailer" and telling the BBC to "report the news rather than ... pseudo-investigative items... that must be certain editors' pet project."

No, you moron, it's a highly-important news story, broken by the BBC about corruption surrounding one of, if not the world's most popular sport.

And I say that as one who has absolutely zero interest in the game!

I love Newswatch. It's the best comedy on TV :D