Comments

• MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a chance, its only morning in the US
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloads of iOS and new OSx's usually appear from 6pm UK time.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine who owns 4 macs is not sure about this, she did not like the last two and went back to the older version. I think she will look into this carefully before she install it. Like how much more integrated is it to apple cloud service and are they going to do a Microsoft and try to force you to use it.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more keen to get my mitts on the new Garageband. They didn't say how much it would be for those not buying a new Mac or iOS device though. Can't see it on the App Store yet either.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mavericks is available in the Mac App Store now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Must.....resist.....urge.....:D

Apparently Apple are stating that the new Garageband is available to Mavericks users only. Means I'm going to have to be patient. I need to make sure my software all works first.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    A friend of mine who owns 4 macs is not sure about this, she did not like the last two and went back to the older version. I think she will look into this carefully before she install it. Like how much more integrated is it to apple cloud service and are they going to do a Microsoft and try to force you to use it.

I've been using the beta for ages. You're not 'forced' into using the cloud services. However if she has 4 Macs it makes sense to use it as it will make it far easier to keep things in sync between her different machines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oooh so it is. I couldn't see it on the front page but just entered Mavericks into the search box :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.29GB download. Thank heaven for fibre !
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    5.29GB download. Thank heaven for fibre !

It's crawling though! I'm only getting about 14Mbps on a significantly faster connection. I guess there's a lot of people downloading it at the moment…

edit: Eesh, just realised I described 14Mbps as crawling! It seems I've become very used to fast broadband!
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finder with tabs, that's probably the only decent feature that otherwise awful has
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crawling though! I'm only getting about 14Mbps on a significantly faster connection. I guess there's a lot of people downloading it at the moment…

edit: Eesh, just realised I described 14Mbps as crawling! It seems I've become very used to fast broadband!

At least it's easy to copy the installer once it's downloaded, so you don't need to download again to upgrade other machines. Microsoft take note! (remember to quit the install once it's downloaded to make a backup though - if it's like the previous releases it deletes the installer after the upgrade.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Finder with tabs, that's probably the only decent feature that otherwise awful has
    Erm....it's free FFS :p

This is an upgrade for laptop users really. Not much in there for iMac owners.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded. Now installing :)
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Erm....it's free FFS :p

This is an upgrade for laptop users really. Not much in there for iMac owners.

I missed a word, I meant Finder. Finder is shockingly bad.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    downloading has we speak to my rMBP
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Latest model Haswell and Crystalwell Macbook Pros have had price cuts. Still expensive though :cry:

price cut but the base model only gets integrated GPU
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    price cut but the base model only gets integrated GPU

It's not even a 5200 either, you need to spend £1699 for that and an insane £2199 for dedicated graphics :eek:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It's not even a 5200 either, you need to spend £1699 for that and an insane £2199 for dedicated graphics :eek:

Looks like you would have to take out an Ocean Finance loan before buying one of those shiny Macs :D
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MacBook Air is now running Mavericks and its working perfectly not a single hiccup and everything is working just as it was. Really pleased with the extra support for multiple monitors as I always have my Air plugged into my 23" monitor when working at my desk.

The upgrade is certainly a lot smoother and quicker than when I once tried to upgrade my Windows PC, which turned out to be a complete disaster.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's free I might consider it if there are no known problems.

'Free' might make it even more important to wait a month or so.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't touching it until at least 10.9.1. And even then a full HD clone beforehand so I can roll back if there's any compatibility issues.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike iOS 7, Mavericks installed with no problems at all. I started the download then done the washing up, came back and it was just finishing the download and moving onto installation. About 20 minutes later my 2013 MBA was running 10.9.

Not really overwhelmed so far, but using Apple TV as an extra monitor is nice. I will have more of a play tomorrow.

One thing I'm still disappointed about is that videos in Safari and other programs can't be played full screen on the Apple TV, unless the video is blown up to full screen on the computer first and then mirrored. I hope this is eventually made to function similar to the iOS devices.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As predicted, I see they've culled the 'full featured' MacBook Pro. The ones with wired interfaces, DVD drive and big HD, all built in. And the only one with a gaming capable GPU is now the top of the range one.

Glad I got mine when I did.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MBP (June 2013) is telling me I can't install to my disk. Don't know why and it's too late to tinker with now. Annoying.