Options

PSN/XBOX Live on Sky Broadband

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will PSN & XBOX Live work on Sky Broadband?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why not? I know loads of people who have both on Sky.
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PSN works fine on Sky Broadband, no problems at all in 3yrs for me.
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both work fine for me!
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PSN works fine on my sjy broadband
  • Options
    xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DXRulz wrote: »

Should do :)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes. Why wouldn't they? :confused:

I've had Sky BB for 3 years now, & not had any problems with XBL or PSN.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both work.

XBox360 even has Sky Player built in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yes. Why wouldn't they? :confused:

I've had Sky BB for 3 years now, & not had any problems with XBL or PSN.

I do remember quite a few people have had issues in the past, thats what made me ask :)
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Whilst it may "work fine" from personal experience with the way Sky now manages it's platform on the SBVN (merged voice and broadband network), ping times are often far from ideal. My pings often averaged in the 80-90ms due to the way they use dynamic line management and the various profiles they would set. They are a good provider and one of the few true unlimited options available. General internet usage and some online play is ok, but for time critical stuff like COD and the like I often experienced heavy lag. Cheap they are but perfect they aint. But I suppose thats what you get for cheap broadband. I noticed when I was with them I could only achieve speeds of just under 6 meg not with Be* I get speeds well over 9 meg.... make of that what you will.

Point remains however ok for general broadband, but online gaming is a pain in the rear on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm currently on Sky Broadband (11mb speed on last speed test) after switching from the frankly horrible BT Broadband, and i've not had a single problem with XBL or PSN online. I don't think i've ever experienced any lag now i come to think of it, and i've played over 50 hours on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Xbox 360).

In terms of PC play, i generally seem to get a ping of around 10-15 when playing Counter Strike: Source on a UK server (other people on the server seem to average around 40-50 by comparison).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky broadband here (11.47mbps) and no lag issues. Ping result on speedtest.net via the PS3s browser gives me a consistant 36ms, same as on the PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Called up Sky today and they talked us through changing and said ring BT to get a MAC code. Did so and BT said no on the grounds of they sent us a new router the week before christmas last year and we could not leave until November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Called up Sky today and they talked us through changing and said ring BT to get a MAC code. Did so and BT said no on the grounds of they sent us a new router the week before christmas last year and we could not leave until November.

Did the old router break? Or did you request an upgrade?

When they sent the new router, did they make it clear they were tying you into a new 12 month contract? If not, you might be able to wriggle out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the old router break? Or did you request an upgrade?

When they sent the new router, did they make it clear they were tying you into a new 12 month contract? If not, you might be able to wriggle out of it.

Yes the old one was BT Voyager 2110 which was years old and kept dropping the broadband line, they replaced it with a HomeHub2 and no they didn't tell us that. We were not aware of that until today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the old one was BT Voyager 2110 which was years old and kept dropping the broadband line, they replaced it with a HomeHub2 and no they didn't tell us that. We were not aware of that until today?

I'd phone them back and escalate it to a senior manager. It's not your fault that the old router broke. They HAD to give you new equipment to continue providing the service. Ask them to prove that you were told you were entering a new contract. If they can't, then they'll have to let you go.

It's worth a shot, nothing to lose.
  • Options
    minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xbox live work fine for me on SKY and I am on unlimited offering, but only get about 3/3.5mb down due to distance from the exchange and experience no ill effect, infact I say I suffer less lag than I did on the PC!