My dad didn't even visit us this Christmas

ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
Forum Member
✭✭
He's seperated from my mum and this year is the first year he hasn't even bothered to come and visit. I got him a present and everything and .. nothing. I feel so dissapointed and my mum is upset espicially since I have a 10 year old brother. Was anyone else let down by family this year? :cry:

Also, he lives 10 minutes away.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didnt you go visit him?
  • ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didnt you go visit him?

Because he lives with his girlfriend who we don't get along with.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need him. Forget it. He's not worth your time. My dad came on Christmas Eve and was shocked to find that I have a car and a job. He was on the garage forecourt when I tried to show him the car I was buying (IN JUNE), but he brushed it off and didn't even notice I was talking to him.

I simply rolled my eyes, reminded myself that he is a class A prick, and moved on. You should do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is, if he doesnt care about seeing me, fine (I'm 22) but godammit he should see his son. Fair enough, Christmas days can be hard to do, what about Boxing day? The 27th? 28th? 29th? 30th?:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    You don't need him. Forget it. He's not worth your time. My dad came on Christmas Eve and was shocked to find that I have a car and a job. He was on the garage forecourt when I tried to show him the car I was buying (IN JUNE), but he brushed it off and didn't even notice I was talking to him.

I simply rolled my eyes, reminded myself that he is a class A prick, and moved on. You should do the same.

That would be so easy if it wasn't for my brother, honestly, if my brother didn't exist I doubt I would've seen him at all these past 10 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChibiCandi wrote: »
    That would be so easy if it wasn't for my brother, honestly, if my brother didn't exist I doubt I would've seen him at all these past 10 years.

Your brother doesn't need him, either. He doesn't automatically need contact with his father just because society says so, especially if he'd be better off without him.

In cases like these, everyone tends to feel sorry for the youngest person, without questioning whether the youngest actually cares. My family are furious for what my dad has "done to me", but I haven't needed him for a single second in my life.

Except for a lift to Oxford when I was 17 :o But that was just me using him, LOL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    hello, please try not to get so upset, i know it is difficult, but theres nothing you can do if he decides not to see you and your brother, it's his loss, not yours and he isn't doing hiimself any favours at all in the long run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your brother doesn't need him, either. He doesn't automatically need contact with his father just because society says so, especially if he'd be better off without him.

In cases like these, everyone tends to feel sorry for the youngest person, without questioning whether the youngest actually cares. My family are furious for what my dad has "done to me", but I haven't needed him for a single second in my life.

Except for a lift to Oxford when I was 17 :o But that was just me using him, LOL.
    I could just cry reading that and im trying to hold it back :( my brother needs some toughening up and with me and mun were not helping. I take after my dads personality in alot of ways, except the selfishness ... So ive tried to help him by being more hard but i dont know how much it helps , oy :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feejo wrote: »
    hello, please try not to get so upset, i know it is difficult, but theres nothing you can do if he decides not to see you and your brother, it's his loss, not yours and he isn't doing hiimself any favours at all in the long run.

Thank you for taking the time to say that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could just cry reading that and im trying to hold it back :( my brother needs some toughening up and with me and mun were not helping. I take after my dads personality in alot of ways, except the selfishness ... So ive tried to help him by being more hard but i dont know how much it helps , oy :(

Needs some toughening up how? Is he upset by your dad's absence? actually upset, and has said so/implied so? Is he sensitive in general? Or is it his behaviour you mean/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needs some toughening up how? Is he upset by your dad's absence? actually upset, and has said so/implied so? Is he sensitive in general? Or is it his behaviour you mean/

Hes had trouble with some kids at school and can be a bit sensitive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Hes had trouble with some kids at school and can be a bit sensitive.

If he is sensitive, then its in his nature and no amount of you trying to 'toughen' him up will change the way he is. (I have a daughter like this).However, he will soon toughen up where his father is concerned on his own accord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say you don't get on with your dad's o/h, have you made a big issue over that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant explain it atm. Long story short he took her on holiday and secregley went to see her. I get it. None of this dounds that bad bim lucky i havre what i have but when i deal with a heartbroken mother who never recovered from it i honestly wish some days i would go to sleep and never wake up. Everything is just collapsing in on me and i csnt cope with all of this sadnesd. The only colds i get are usually caused by me crying so much Excuse tje typos im replying ony touch :(

I know things can always get worse but that can be said only so many times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant explain it atm. Long story short he took her on holiday and secregley went to see her. I get it. None of this dounds that bad bim lucky i havre what i have but when i deal with a heartbroken mother who never recovered from it i honestly wish some days i would go to sleep and never wake up. Everything is just collapsing in on me and i csnt cope with all of this sadnesd. The only colds i get are usually caused by me crying so much Excuse tje typos im replying ony touch :(

I know things can always get worse but that can be said only so many times.

Sorry for what you're going through, it maybe that he's just selfish or the situation with your mum keeps him away.

Don't give up though, i've not gone through the situation of parents splitting up but I have gone through a lot of messed up experiences over the past that have almost pushed me over the edge but things can turn around for the better eventually. I hope they work out for you and your family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for what you're going through, it maybe that he's just selfish or the situation with your mum keeps him away.

Don't give up though, i've not gone through the situation of parents splitting up but I have gone through a lot of messed up experiences over the past that have almost pushed me over the edge but things can turn around for the better eventually. I hope they work out for you and your family.

Thank you. I hope so too :(
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say you don't get on with your dad's o/h, have you made a big issue over that?

I was wondering the same thing. If there is bad blood between your mum and his his g/f for example it could make things really awkward for him.

Did he visit/planning on visiting any other time during the holiday ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. If there is bad blood between your mum and his his g/f for example it could make things really awkward for him.

Did he visit/planning on visiting any other time during the holiday ?

She will never get on with her and that hasnt stopped him from seeing us and helping out with my mother is working. I dont know why if he couldn't come Christmas day he could've come on any of the days after. We've never expected him to stay for a day, maybe a couple of hours, is that so much to ask?

Also we havent even heard from him planning on coming over at all. He's supposed to come round tomorow to take my brother for the weekend but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't show up.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also we havent even heard from him planning on coming over at all. He's supposed to come round tomorow to take my brother for the weekend but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't show up.

Keep in mind he may be under pressure from his new GF not to visit. I know that is no excuse but it's a possibility.

I would tell him. If he visits tomorrow just say you were sad not to see him on Christmas Day. Can't do any harm to just let him know that. Doesn't have to turn into a row or a bust up. Just let him know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't get upset about it. Like others have said, he's not worth getting upset over. My dad is exactly the same. I, personally, couldn't give a stuff about him as he's never been there for me and never will but I have younger siblings who haven't seen him for months. He never makes the effort to talk to them, see them or even acknowledge that they actually exist. It's like we've been lumped with the invisible man for a father.

Ultimately if he chooses not to see his children then it's him who is going to lose the most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how upsetting your dad not turning up can be, I had this throughout most of my childhood on my birthdays, only mine would say he was coming round then forget about it. :rolleyes: When reminded he'd appear with something stupid like a half bag of toffees that happened to be in his car.

I feel for you and your brother, but if this has been the first year he hasn't come round perhaps there's an explanation for it. You say he sees you and he helps out when your mum is working, so it doesn't sound like this is a normal thing for him to do.

Has something happened that might cause him to think he wouldn't be welcome? Or perhaps he's ill or something as simple as that?

If he doesn't turn up tomorrow why not phone him up and ask him why he hasn't been round. I would ask him even if he does come for your brother. At the moment you have no idea why he didn't come - perhaps after all this time he got fed up always coming to you and having his children never visiting him and continuing to have big problems with his girlfriend.

The thing is you have no idea and the only way to find out is to ask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep in mind he may be under pressure from his new GF not to visit. I know that is no excuse but it's a possibility.

I would tell him. If he visits tomorrow just say you were sad not to see him on Christmas Day. Can't do any harm to just let him know that. Doesn't have to turn into a row or a bust up. Just let him know.

Yeah, I'd love to see someone criticize him, he'd just either go into a rage or just say nothing and leave and not come back. He's always had this attitude and I've hated myself and my mum for standing for it but there's no other way.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Green wrote: »
    I know how upsetting your dad not turning up can be, I had this throughout most of my childhood on my birthdays, only mine would say he was coming round then forget about it. :rolleyes: When reminded he'd appear with something stupid like a half bag of toffees that happened to be in his car.

I feel for you and your brother, but if this has been the first year he hasn't come round perhaps there's an explanation for it. You say he sees you and he helps out when your mum is working, so it doesn't sound like this is a normal thing for him to do.

Has something happened that might cause him to think he wouldn't be welcome? Or perhaps he's ill or something as simple as that?

If he doesn't turn up tomorrow why not phone him up and ask him why he hasn't been round. I would ask him even if he does come for your brother. At the moment you have no idea why he didn't come - perhaps after all this time he got fed up always coming to you and having his children never visiting him and continuing to have big problems with his girlfriend.

The thing is you have no idea and the only way to find out is to ask.

He was ill but said he felt better the last time I saw him (22nd). He didn't even ring up to say he liked his presents that I bought for him. I had to ask my brother whether he liked them and that really hurt as I spent a while looking for what he might like (you know how hard men can be to buy for). I'm guessing his girlfriend was giving him grief but it hasnt stopped him before. Either way I'm really dissapointed and I won't be buying a present next year, just a card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was ill but said he felt better the last time I saw him (22nd). He didn't even ring up to say he liked his presents that I bought for him. I had to ask my brother whether he liked them and that really hurt as I spent a while looking for what he might like (you know how hard men can be to buy for). I'm guessing his girlfriend was giving him grief but it hasnt stopped him before. Either way I'm really dissapointed and I won't be buying a present next year, just a card.

I misunderstood you and thought you hadn't had chance to give him his presents. Did you give them to him on the 22nd then? Presumably he said thank you - I got the impression from your first post that he hadn't come round to collect them. How come your brother saw him after that, did he go round to your dad's place?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd love to see someone criticize him, he'd just either go into a rage or just say nothing and leave and not come back. He's always had this attitude and I've hated myself and my mum for standing for it but there's no other way.:mad:

In which case it sounds like you are better off without him visiting. You brother feels hurt right now but in the long run it is for the best if this is how your dad is going to treat you.