Comments

• StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Probably not CC,especially as they only see fit to broadcast on 'Gold'.I'm assuming if it was any good,a prime-time BBC 2 slot would be a given,or at worst,late-night on BBC 3.It's a shame really as I'd like to see it done well.

I can't say I recall any of the stage-play reviews being particularly good or bad but as it's still running 2 years on,it must be passable.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll certainly give it the benefit of the doubt and at least watch it, cos despite the newspaper critics it might be damn good. We all know that critics have misjudged before.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Ask again in February - to be honest I've tried the Thick of It and found the foul language wearing. It might be nice to have a comedy which does not rely on it for laughs.
    Forum Member
    I'll certainly give it the benefit of the doubt and at least watch it, cos despite the newspaper critics it might be damn good. We all know that critics have misjudged before.

Fair comment Zero and I will be watching it myself in the hope that it is done well. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    please DONT remake it

the reggie perrin remake was abysmal and paul eddington played hacker with a charm that was entirely his own. doesnt matter who they cast, this will suck and if bbc have any sense they will leave well enough alone.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been re-watching Yes (Prime)minister on Gold recently - its shocking how relevent the originals stil are:)
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very much looking forward to the remake -David Haig and Henry Goodman are both class actors -should be fascinating!
  • ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    You watch any of the classic episodes and its only the fact that the hair.clothes and looks date it, the content is still 100% relevant today.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like David Haig in particular, Henry Goodman is a good actor too. However I can't see them matching up to Eddington and Hawthorne in these parts.

But maybe we should give it a chance....
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    Fair comment Zero and I will be watching it myself in the hope that it is done well. :D
    I do like David Haig in particular, Henry Goodman is a good actor too. However I can't see them matching up to Eddington and Hawthorne in these parts.

But maybe we should give it a chance....

Exacty, I mean, what have we got to lose?
    It could turn out to be a cracking series. And don't forget that it will be new for many people, as unlike myself (and many others on here-you know who you are you old farts:p) they didn't see the original when it was first transmitted.:o:D
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old fart here! I watched all the originals, and enjoyed them all, but am very much looking forward to the 2012 version.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,461
    Forum Member
    I recently went to see the touring play of Yes Prime Minister and was pleasantly surprised how relevant, accurate and wince making (as ever) it was. I think it was the two actors named here, so would very much welcome a new TV series.
    My ONLY hesitation would be that that the stage show had added a purely gratuitous female (not sure of her title/role)to the three main protagonists and that I would not like to see transferred.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exacty, I mean, what have we got to lose?
    It could turn out to be a cracking series. And don't forget that it will be new for many people, as unlike myself (and many others on here-you know who you are you old farts:p) they didn't see the original when it was first transmitted.:o:D

Don't forget that you can listen to the radio version of the original series with the original cast on Radio 4 Extra. I don't think it is on at the moment but it is on regularly.
    Forum Member
    I thought I'd just post a review I came upon while looking for something else.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/nov/27/tv-review-yes-prime-minister

I'm quite looking forward to this now :D.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heaven forfend that comedy writers could come up with any NEW ideas, rather than just attempting to breathe new life into old ones.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    I recently went to see the touring play of Yes Prime Minister and was pleasantly surprised how relevant, accurate and wince making (as ever) it was. I think it was the two actors named here, so would very much welcome a new TV series.
    My ONLY hesitation would be that that the stage show had added a purely gratuitous female (not sure of her title/role)to the three main protagonists and that I would not like to see transferred.

There was a female adviser character added to later series of the original TV show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_Prime_Minister
    The first series of Yes, Prime Minister introduced Dorothy Wainwright (played by Deborah Norton) as a highly-able special political adviser to the Prime Minister. Her experience and insight into many civil service tricks ensure a lasting mutual distrust between her and Sir Humphrey and provide an invaluable second opinion for Hacker.[7] Sir Humphrey frequently annoys Dorothy by addressing her as "dear lady.

The play features a new character, Claire Sutton, who is introduced by the Prime Minister as head of the policy unit at Number Ten. She is a 21st century successor to Dorothy Wainwright, but less haughty and seemingly more willing to get her hands dirty. She is described by Jay and Lynn as in her late thirties, attractive and intelligent. She calls Hacker by his first name ("Fiscal mechanics, Jim"), whereas Dorothy addressed him as "Prime Minister". In response to a sarcastic interjection about "starving permanent secretaries", Sir Humphrey patronises her as "dear lady" (as he did "that Wainwright female" in the TV series).[49] Emily Joyce, who played Claire both at Chichester and in London, was forty-one when the play opened.[
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the stage show of Yes Prime Minister a few weeks ago; 'twas ok but nothing special. A bit too much high farce, cliche and theatrics with the rolling news interviews, etc It would have been bette with a sharper script and less obvious gags.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOLD are now running adverts for the new series it starts on January 15th have to say from the advert there using its not funny at all surely they could of found a better clip then the one there using
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    GOLD are now running adverts for the new series it starts on January 15th have to say from the advert there using its not funny at all surely they could of found a better clip then the one there using

It's not a clip, it's just a trailer to set up this series I think. I can't say I'm encouraged to watch.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    Probably not CC,especially as they only see fit to broadcast on 'Gold'.I'm assuming if it was any good,a prime-time BBC 2 slot would be a given,or at worst,late-night on BBC 3.It's a shame really as I'd like to see it done well.

I can't say I recall any of the stage-play reviews being particularly good or bad but as it's still running 2 years on,it must be passable.
    Just on a sidenote it is good to see GOLD and Dave commisioning new shows/series.
    You'd think they can only get better at it with time.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    It's not a clip, it's just a trailer to set up this series I think. I can't say I'm encouraged to watch.

Looks very similar to the stage show which was a bit cliched. I also can't really accept the 2 actors playing the PM and the Chief Secretary. They just don't seem right for the roles.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've been re-watching Yes (Prime)minister on Gold recently - its shocking how relevent the originals stil are:)
    Scary, isn't it?:D
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    I'm very much looking forward to the remake -David Haig and Henry Goodman are both class actors -should be fascinating!
    I've seen a trailer a couple of times and, much as I like David Haig, they both of them look as if they're just saying Hacker and Humphrey's words.
    I'll give it a watch but.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Gavin_D wrote: »

Went to see a recording of one of these episodes of this new series back in September, it was pretty good I thought, trouble is until it's edited together I'm only judging what happened on set.

David Haig's mannerisms are just the same in any show he does it seems, saw him do a pilot sitcom a few months beforehand and you knew it was him, DI Grim out of The Thin Blue Line :D

Paul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think they will ruin it.....:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The co-writer sounds like a total tool with a terrific sense of entitlement. Apparently they took it away from the BBC as the BBC asked for a pilot script.... I would have thought that was not an unreasonable request and sensible policy for a public broadcaster but apparently a laughable idea!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20908049
    When Gold approached him and co-writer Antony Jay about adapting their stage play spin-off back to television, the pair offered the BBC first refusal ‘as a courtesy’.
    ‘And they said we had to write a pilot!’ he laughs incredulously. Lynn responded ‘that there were 38 “pilots” available on DVD, manufactured by the BBC, and a play running in the West End to capacity audiences. They said it was policy. So we said our policy was to not write a pilot for them. I thought it was absolutely extraordinary.’