Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't wait for this to come out, looks like great casting:

http://youtu.be/ZyU213nhrh0

Comments

• WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's frightening how much Obama loves the celebrity part of being president. Just shut up and get on with your job!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I almost took that seriously until Daniel Day Lewis showed up :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It's frightening how much Obama loves the celebrity part of being president. Just shut up and get on with your job!
    It's part of the Correspondent's Dinner, a tradition in which the president will take a comedic look back at the last year. It helps to engage the public, which is actually an important part of being POTUS. And how boring would it have been with a personality less sap like Mitt Romney?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aw. Do you know any POTUS during this century who didn't embrace that side of their job? John F. Kennedy sure did. You know, his times with the Rat Pack and his toesy games with some glamorous Hollywood stars like Marilyn Monroe and Ann Margaret. Reagan embraced that side as well as he had John Wayne, James Stewart, Charlton Heston, etc. on his side, socially or not. Nixon (remember Elvis?), the Bushes, Carter, Clinton, etc. had their own Hollywood gangs, publicity machines and fame games, too. They always had smiles and time ready for cameras, TV interviews, etc.

Seems you didn't pay attention until now. I find that frightening. Where on earth have you been all these years? :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty funny.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!

was that in a tv show or what ?

(surprised they didn't ask Robert Downey jr. to do the role tho )
    Forum Member
    LOL!

was that in a tv show or what ?

(surprised they didn't ask Robert Downey jr. to do the role tho )

It was part of the annual Correspondent's Dinner, an event in which the POTUS gives a funny speech to the media, who invite celebrity guests, and a comedian (this year was Conan) makes some jokes
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's part of the Correspondent's Dinner, a tradition in which the president will take a comedic look back at the last year. It helps to engage the public, which is actually an important part of being POTUS. And how boring would it have been with a personality less sap like Mitt Romney?

It still doesn't take away from my original point. If he's not appearing in some 'skit' or other, he's singing or telling a joke or trying to be a "normal person". I find most of it very cringeworthy. He should just stick to being president and sorting out his country's current mess.
    Forum Member
    It still doesn't take away from my original point. If he's not appearing in some 'skit' or other, he's singing or telling a joke or trying to be a "normal person". I find most of it very cringeworthy. He should just stick to being president and sorting out his country's current mess.

It's a tradition. Him not doing the correspondent's dinner would be rude and disrespectful, it's a way of giving back to journalists.

Is making public appearances and trying to make Washington seem less aloof not part of the President's job? The President is more of a symbolic role, of course he makes decisions, but most of the work is done by other people (that he selects). His job is to be a figurehead and retain overall control, not micromanage every single aspect of the country...