Options

The All Purpose Rugby Union Thread (P2)

Comments

• Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got great success. I applied for £1200 worth of tickets, my housemates applied for £1500 worth and we managed to get in total 4 x tickets to Namibia v Tonga at sandy park.......

The sad bit is my housemates only just won the women's version of the world cup! that didn't get them any tickets though.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I shall be watching the games in my village pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I shall be watching the games in my village pub.

I think this will become the best thing.

I am going to go along to the Exeter game and I am going to watch a lot rugby at my rugby club. Im just looking forward to it. I hope I can still get hold of some in the future.

Anyone doing any volunteering for it?
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't get any RWC games either. A bit disappointed, but like others, I'll be in the pub watching the tournament.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    sensoria wrote: »
    I think this will become the best thing.

I am going to go along to the Exeter game and I am going to watch a lot rugby at my rugby club. Im just looking forward to it. I hope I can still get hold of some in the future.

Anyone doing any volunteering for it?

Huge screen in the back bar, 2 smaller screens in the front bar. Beer brewed on site at £2.85 a pint.
    Seems silly not to take advantage of what's on offer.

We have all but given up going to Cardiff, certainly for the AIs.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    applied for 8 games, didn't get anything at all. Online ticket sites are already asking insane prices, and no doubt will get them. I had high hopes for SA vs Japan but no luck.
    I hope there are dedicated fan venues and I don't have to just watch it at home in front of the TV.

Also had a look at the ticket sites for England vs Springboks. Cheapest I found was 2 tickets for £370! (face value £40 each I think). I don't know why this is legal.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long now until the Autumn Tests. I was pretty hopeful after England acquitted themselves well in the first two tests in NZ that this would set a good marker for next year. However, with arguably 6 of the first team pack missing I fear it's going to be a standard 3 wins and a loss to NZ, particularly as we have NZ first so they're well drilled.

Australia could be anything from great to shambolic but their back line will always give them a chance to put scores on a team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Not long now until the Autumn Tests. I was pretty hopeful after England acquitted themselves well in the first two tests in NZ that this would set a good marker for next year. However, with arguably 6 of the first team pack missing I fear it's going to be a standard 3 wins and a loss to NZ, particularly as we have NZ first so they're well drilled.

Australia could be anything from great to shambolic but their back line will always give them a chance to put scores on a team.

I have my tickets for the New Zealand game. Looking forward to it though I wish it wasn't the first game up. Would rather it was 3rd. Big ask to play New Zealand for your first test of the series.

Austrailia to me look like a dangerous outfit even with what they have been through they will still win most of their games in the northern hemisphere. They have the best 13 in the world right now in Kuridrani and flanker Sean McMahon came out of nowehere to have a stormer on Saturday the second row Sam Carter as well. then you add in Isreal Falau and its a team as dangerous as any and with a proven coach in Michael Cheika come the world cup I am still convinced they will be in the final. I am putting a tenner on them to win 2015 world cup..........this probably guarantees a wales win on Saturday.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I managed to bag a last minute ticket for New Zealand match, so I finally get to see them play live (not expecting much from England).

Coupled with my (now looking) rash decision buy tickets for the other three game, I've got a pretty busy November ahead.

I would hope England can win at least 2 of their matches, at a push 3 (maybe Lancaster will break his Springboks hoodoo).

As for the other teams, it'll be interesting to see if Wales can get a win against SH side (their record is very poor). Scotland should be able to see off Tonga and have a decent chance against Argentina, but it wouldn't surprising if they lost all 3 tests. Shame Ireland don't have a chance of revenge against All Blacks, but they'll be hoping for at least two wins.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Shame Ireland don't have a chance of revenge against All Blacks, but they'll be hoping for at least two wins.

Bad feeling we'll be obliterated this weekend. So many injuries and the Boks have been playing incredible stuff. They've also been playing together for a few months now

Surely there are a few wingers that are a better option than Jonny May for England??

Yarde, Ashton, even Strettle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Bad feeling we'll be obliterated this weekend. So many injuries and the Boks have been playing incredible stuff. They've also been playing together for a few months now

Surely there are a few wingers that are a better option than Jonny May for England??

Yarde, Ashton, even Strettle?

I think Strettle's England days are other, barring an 'exceptional circumstance' (and it's not like he plays overseas)

Ashton maybe has a chance of getting back into EPS, Yarde has been dropped for average form at the start of the season. Jonny May has his plus points, but I'm not sure we'll ever see that for England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Strettle's England days are other, barring an 'exceptional circumstance' (and it's not like he plays overseas)

Ashton maybe has a chance of getting back into EPS, Yarde has been dropped for average form at the start of the season. Jonny May has his plus points, but I'm not sure we'll ever see that for England.

I wonder if they're all fit for RWC (granted a year off) would we see something like

Brown

Ashton Eastmond Burgess Tuilagi

Farrell Care
  • Options
    Forum Member

The main man I'd like to see from an English POV is Armitage on the wing- but obviously they won't pick French based players
  • Options
    Forum Member
    England are also ridiculously unlucky in the front 5

Vunipola/Corbs, Youngs, Cole, parling, Launchbury all out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RWC tickets are going on general sale at the end of the month.

Those that have applied before have early priority on 24th and 25th.

The rest go on sale on 28th, though I doubt there'll be any by that point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they're all fit for RWC (granted a year off) would we see something like

Brown

Ashton Eastmond Burgess Tuilagi

Farrell Care

I'm looking forward to Burgess playing union, but I fear he's being built up too much. Also I hate idea of Manu on the wing, he's a much better centre (if not creative)
    The main man I'd like to see from an English POV is Armitage on the wing- but obviously they won't pick French based players

Do you mean Delon, because I can't picture Steffon playing on the wing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Burgess playing union, but I fear he's being built up too much. Also I hate idea of Manu on the wing, he's a much better centre (if not creative)

Do you mean Delon, because I can't picture Steffon playing on the wing.

Of course he had a great game there v Ulster last week :)

I wouldn't play Manu there either but it wouldn't surprise

Look a lot will change yet
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    RWC tickets are going on general sale at the end of the month.

Those that have applied before have early priority on 24th and 25th.

The rest go on sale on 28th, though I doubt there'll be any by that point.

Saw this list of games that will go on sale elsewhere:

5 D Twickenham France v Italy
    35 A Twickenham Australia v Wales
    14 D Elland Road Italy v Canada
    18 B Elland Road Scotland v USA
    27 C Leicester Argentina v Tonga *
    29 D Leicester Canada v Romania *
    37 C Leicester Argentina v Namibia *
    3 D Millennium Ireland v Canada *
    7 A Millennium Wales v Uruguay *
    10 A Millennium Australia v Fiji *
    21 A Millennium Wales v Fiji *
    23 C Millennium New Zealand v Georgia *
    39 D Millennium France v Ireland
    42 Millennium QF2 W Pool C v RU Pool D
    43 Millennium QF3: W Pool D v RU Pool C
    11 D Olympic France v Romania
    12 C Olympic New Zealand v Namibia
    33 C St James' Park New Zealand v Tonga
    34 B St James' Park Samoa v Scotland *
    22 D Stadium MK France v Canada
    24 B Stadium MK Samoa v Japan
    30 A Stadium MK Fiji v Uruguay
    15 B Villa Park South Africa v Samoa
    17 A Villa Park Australia v Uruguay
    19 D Wembley Ireland v Romania
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTÉ Promo for November Internationals - Tom McGurk sets the scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijACHUOH3Dc

Can't wait for a return to international rugby again - Come on you boys in Green... World Cup only around the corner - time to make a statement to world rugby today!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ Promo for November Internationals - Tom McGurk sets the scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijACHUOH3Dc

Can't wait for a return to international rugby again - Come on you boys in Green... World Cup only around the corner - time to make a statement to world rugby today!

I'd take a loss within ten points right now

Too many injuries and only two weeks in camp compared to South Africa who are well rested again after a great Rugby Championship campaign and have been together since August. They also have more or less a full panel filled with exeprienced campaigners and some exciting prospects and have gained some serious confidence after that wonderful win against the All Blacks

I'd imagine England would take a similar loss given their injury list also. Wouldn't surprise me if the RWC final was a repeat of the match at twickenham today though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very impressed with England. What a start they had. Try of the season by Jonny May, smoked both Dagg and Smith, incredible!

Should be leading by more but have been very impressive.Some workrate. Lawes a big loss, that's their main 3 second rows gone now

I'd agree with Stuart Barnes- looking like a dress rehearsal for RWC final
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Saw this list of games that will go on sale elsewhere:

5 D Twickenham France v Italy
    35 A Twickenham Australia v Wales
    14 D Elland Road Italy v Canada
    18 B Elland Road Scotland v USA
    27 C Leicester Argentina v Tonga *
    29 D Leicester Canada v Romania *
    37 C Leicester Argentina v Namibia *
    3 D Millennium Ireland v Canada *
    7 A Millennium Wales v Uruguay *
    10 A Millennium Australia v Fiji *
    21 A Millennium Wales v Fiji *
    23 C Millennium New Zealand v Georgia *
    39 D Millennium France v Ireland
    42 Millennium QF2 W Pool C v RU Pool D
    43 Millennium QF3: W Pool D v RU Pool C
    11 D Olympic France v Romania
    12 C Olympic New Zealand v Namibia
    33 C St James' Park New Zealand v Tonga
    34 B St James' Park Samoa v Scotland *
    22 D Stadium MK France v Canada
    24 B Stadium MK Samoa v Japan
    30 A Stadium MK Fiji v Uruguay
    15 B Villa Park South Africa v Samoa
    17 A Villa Park Australia v Uruguay
    19 D Wembley Ireland v Romania

Not on this list so assuming games sold out

So all England
    South Africa v Scotland in Newcastle
    Ireland v Italy at Olympic Stadium

and I was worried that the big stadiums would be empty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still plenty of positives for England

When they get their strongest 15 out they'll take some beating

Will be carrying the Northern Hemisphere hopes in the RWC
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland leading South Africa 13-3 in Dublin. Upset on the cards?
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Ireland leading South Africa 13-3 in Dublin. Upset on the cards?

Ireland leading 26 -10......fantastic performance :)