Are SNP left or right?

2»

Comments

• Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    It is more of a socially democratic scandinavian style party, we in the UK would probably say left in our ignorance because everything here has to be black or white.

I agree with that. We (people in this country) are a bit myopic when it comes to left and right. We've lived within a virtual two party system of government for so long that our notion of left wing and right wing is all a bit skewed. For real extreme left and right groups of any power you need to look at other countries.

Economically, I'd say they are centre-left.
    Socially, they are centrist.

As far as nationalist goes they are that by default since their primary policy is independence (i.e. forming a new nation) but they aren't in the sense that some nationalist organisations are. They aren't nationalist supremacists, nor have they any ethnic factor to their nationalism. I think they call themselves civic nationalists? Which is probably why they call themselves Scottish National Party rather than Scottish Nationalist Party.

Andersonson, if you honestly don't know their policies then go and google "SNP manifesto" or "SNP policies" or check their wiki page. It's easy to find.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, whenever I listen to Nicola Sturgeon she makes out she is always right!
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I'm convinced that they wanted the Tories in power at this GE. By saying that they wanted to do a deal with Labour and lock out the Tories they made sure any floating voters in England would vote Tory, because they did not believe Ed on a coalition deal. Any floating voters in Scotland would then vote SNP because they believed there would be a coalition deal with Labour would lock out Cameron. Confused?! Rather clever I think. They need the Tories in power so as to push the second referendum idea.

Now Cameron has to be careful not to fall in a similar trap by giving up more power to Scotland. He will only alienate the English voters if he gives too much.