If Corbyn Wins & and then becames PM?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
this just a thought but if Jeremy Corbyn becomes the next Labour Leader and then goes on to Win the General Election in 2020 how long would Mr Corybn be Prime Mininster for Given his age:confused:

Jeremy Corbyn is 66 now time the Election Comes he will be in his 70s so does he stick it out for 5 years as PM stay for 2 for example and the party have Leadership election with in the 5 years of Corbyn becoming pm:confused:

Comments

• paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    this just a thought but if Jeremy Corbyn becomes the next Labour Leader and then goes on to Win the General Election in 2020 how long would Mr Corybn be Prime Mininster for Given his age:confused:

Jeremy Corbyn is 66 now time the Election Comes he will be in his 70s so does he stick it out for 5 years as PM stay for 2 for example and the party have Leadership election with in the 5 years of Corbyn becoming pm:confused:

Basically until he dies - it would be perfectly possible to survive a full term given the average age that people die in this country which is 81.

Age is not relevant - policies are and for that reason I cannot see the country voting in an avowedly left wing government. Blair was not so you need to go back to 1974 to find the last time one was voted in (and that by a wafer thin majority).
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He is bound to give Denis Skinner a shadow cabinet position and Skinner is eighty three and has had bowel cancer, a heart by-pass and a hip replacement.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who knows...but average male life expectancy in the UK is now 80...indeed it is the increase in life expectancy for men (and a narrowing of the gap between men and women) that is one of the prime drivers in our aging population.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life expectancy is one factor, another is to be in good enough health to be able to fulfil the requirements of a PM (which are much greater than those of a backbencher of course).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he does win and Tom Watson is his deputy then we'll be run by the double act of Tom and Jerry.

That's All Folks!
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If he does win and Tom Watson is his deputy then we'll be run by the double act of Tom and Jerry.

That's All Folks!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

That's All Folks!

LOL. Perhaps Mandy could make return as Dr. Malevolent.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wonder if channel 4 are going to do a program on corbyns first 100 days if he becomes PM, a la their UKIP program earlier this year.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    LOL. Perhaps Mandy could make return as Dr. Malevolent.

We could have Lord Scargill in the Upper House with a responsibility for energy :D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much wil change in practice as the right-wing media has greatly over-exaggerated the dangers of the Red Menace.
  • sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically until he dies - it would be perfectly possible to survive a full term given the average age that people die in this country which is 81.

Age is not relevant - policies are and for that reason I cannot see the country voting in an avowedly left wing government. Blair was not so you need to go back to 1974 to find the last time one was voted in (and that by a wafer thin majority).

He'd have to win twice to do that. Once looks unlikely, but twice?
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jeremy Corbyn becomes Pm then the odds on a donkey jacket making an appearance at the Cenotaph will shorten dramatically.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if Jeremy Corbyn becomes the next Labour Leader and then goes on to Win the General Election in 2020?

He runs the country and we hope for the best:confused:
    i wonder if channel 4 are going to do a program on corbyns first 100 days if he becomes PM, a la their UKIP program earlier this year.

I wonder if they'll do one on Boris's first 100 days, would be a laugh the things they come up with.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone's already had a go: http://www.sunnation.co.uk/what-if-comrade-corbyn-became-labour-leader/

Though it might be a stretch to call the writer a "Top Labour blogger".
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corbyn as PM :D:D:D AS about as much chance of that as I am of becoming the first Atheist Archbishop of Canterbury:D:D:D
    More than likely they will do a 12 part series about him on The Comedy Channel
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He is bound to give Denis Skinner a shadow cabinet position and Skinner is eighty three and has had bowel cancer, a heart by-pass and a hip replacement.

That's a hell of a suggestion :D

Imagine after the 2020 election: Corbyn as PM, Skinner as Chancellor, Diane Abbott as Home Secretary, get Gorgeous George back in the fold and make him Foreign Secretary, and is it too late to get Red Ken back to handle transport? Just think what shape the country will be in come 2025 :)
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't care about age, not everyone goes doolally on their 75th birthday.

I do however have concerns that he is in his mid to late 60's and is still spouting student level politics.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MI5 wouldn't allow it to happen.
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    MI5 wouldn't allow it to happen.

They didn't stop Harold Wilson and they thought he was a Soviet spy
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pigs will fly.
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Pigs will fly.

Don't forget that by 2020 it will be 41 years since we had a Left leaning Labour government which means anyone under their early 50s won't remember how bad it was so could just be foolish enough to fall for it
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Don't forget that by 2020 it will be 41 years since we had a Left leaning Labour government which means anyone under their early 50s won't remember how bad it was so could just be foolish enough to fall for it

:)

Despite the transparent spin being put around by Corbyn's acolytes and others on the far left, we nearly had a left-leaning - as in catastrophically anti-business - Government last time.

Meanwhile, away from fantasies, here's an interesting stat I read today...
    Of 83 seats Labour needs to gain in England, if every single Green and Lib Dem voter in them switched to Labour, Labour would only win 26 of them

Presumably that's before the Boundary Commission get their teeth into them.
  • The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »

and, of course, the 18 years of Tory rule between 1979-97 were marvellous for millions of people in communities in the North, South Wales, East Midlands etc.

Two sides to every story.
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    :)

Despite the transparent spin being put around by Corbyn's acolytes and others on the far left, we nearly had a left-leaning - as in catastrophically anti-business - Government last time.

Meanwhile, away from fantasies, here's an interesting stat I read today...

Presumably that's before the Boundary Commission get their teeth into them.

I don't dispute Blair and Brown were a disaster but they were a different kind of disaster than Callaghan and Wilson

The founding fathers of Labour would be spinning in their graves if they saw what had happened to their party since the fifties
    Forum Member
    and, of course, the 18 years of Tory rule between 1979-97 were marvellous for millions of people in communities in the North, South Wales, East Midlands etc.

Two sides to every story.

They were a hell of a lot better than the 70s believe me I just checked your profile you were 8 when Thatcher came to power so have no clear recollection of how bad it was