Story In the Sun

CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
Forum Member
✭✭
Saw this story in the sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2578242/Pet-cat-eaten-by-giant-snake.html It is quite upsetting reading this. I feel sorry for the owners of the Cat. Can people sign this petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no-to-pythons/

Comments

• xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    um no.
    no i can not.
    fact is, snakes have to eat and exercise too, this cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

granted, the owner should have probably fed the snake before allowing it outside to exercise & bask. however, some people never see cats in their garden so automatically think they won't be there.
    leaving them unattended is a big no-no though. and the owners of this snake, while obviously knowledgeable to be keeping a snake this size and muppets.

i sympathise with the owners of the cat, but banning all pythons - and other snakes being kept without a licence won't do a thing to prevent this.
    it is very, VERY easy to get a licence anyway.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would have happened if a child had been crushed to death by the python then? I bet if that had happened there would have been outrage. Pythons can be dangerous in the wrong hands, people need to be aware if they are keeping these kind of pets.
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celt, do you say the same about dogs? A few dogs bite, we should ban everyone from keeping dogs?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if a cat had killed a pet rabbit? Would there be a petition calling for cats to require a dangerous animal license?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not saying we should ban people from having pythons, I think there is a big difference between a cat and a python as a pet. A cat is not very likely going to kill a human is it? If you actually read the petition it is not about banning these snakes as pets, but requiring people to have more responsibility. I actually don't blame the python, it was only doing what does naturally. The owner shouldn't have let it out unattended. That other person mentioned dogs, there has been cases of dogs killing children in their home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, Celt, that was my point. And the title of your petition is 'no to pythons'. So of course people thought you wanted to ban them.

And to say 'that other person' is a tad rude......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    um no.
    no i can not.
    fact is, snakes have to eat and exercise too, this cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

granted, the owner should have probably fed the snake before allowing it outside to exercise & bask. however, some people never see cats in their garden so automatically think they won't be there.
    leaving them unattended is a big no-no though. and the owners of this snake, while obviously knowledgeable to be keeping a snake this size and muppets.

i sympathise with the owners of the cat, but banning all pythons - and other snakes being kept without a licence won't do a thing to prevent this.
    it is very, VERY easy to get a licence anyway.

Ease and cost depends very much on the individual local authority. Some deliberately interpret the regulations such as to make it impossible for anyone to comply even for something relatively innocuous (sp) , others allow large apes.
    On a more general point if there is a suggestion of not allowing any snake to be kept without a license what could a garter snake actually physically do to harm anyone!!!

Ps I thought this was going to be a story about something happening in Spain or somewhere else sunny :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, I just meant to say the previous post. The petition is not mine anyway, the owners made the petition, I just got it from The Sun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. It can be difficult to tell a 'tone of voice' on a website.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I signed this petition. I don't have an issue with people keeping exotic animals, but surely it's irresponsible to leave such a large reptile unattended.. for it's own safety as well as the safety of others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Just a thought but what if it had been a baby in a bassinet out in the garden and it was left alone for a few minutes and the snake had gotten to it instead of the cat...?

Seems to me like a dangerous pet licence would apply then!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    Just a thought but what if it had been a baby in a bassinet out in the garden and it was left alone for a few minutes and the snake had gotten to it instead of the cat...?

But it wasn't.

Let's ban all cats for killing those little innocent birds, mice etc.

The owner of the python was irresponsible, simple really.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, a child dies every three seconds... at least that one will have gone to good use :D
  • I am NapoleonI am Napoleon Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Pythons can be dangerous in the wrong hands

You could coil it up in your arms and then squeeze it's tail to make it snap at people.
  • WhoreofBabylonWhoreofBabylon Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    What would have happened if a child had been crushed to death by the python then? I bet if that had happened there would have been outrage. Pythons can be dangerous in the wrong hands, people need to be aware if they are keeping these kind of pets.

Surely parents wouldn't allow their child to wander into strangers back gardens?
  • WhoreofBabylonWhoreofBabylon Posts: 296
    Forum Member

How would a baby in a bassinet climb into someone else garden?:rolleyes:

The cat's owners must take full responsibility for allowing their cat to wander where it pleases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would a baby in a bassinet climb into someone else garden?:rolleyes:

The cat's owners must take full responsibility for allowing their cat to wander where it pleases.

I wouldn't even go that far. Two animals exhibiting their own natural behaviour, snake won.

Some blame needs to go to the snake owner if it was left unattended in the back garden (the article says he was given a verbal warning about proper care) and every time a persons cat goes off their property, the cat is at risk (roads, foxes, other cats, dogs, very rarely - snakes)

While I have sympathy for the cat owner's loss, it was an unfourtunate accident.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    The python should not be left loose and unattended in a garden, period.

There is a high probability it will escape, and when it does so a 13ft python is potentially dangerous. Even if it didn't escape, a child could have gone into this garden, unaware of the silent predator, perhaps to retrieve a football when nobody had answered the door.

A friend of mine had a Burmese python of exactly this size, it's a beautiful but formidable animal, able to rear up its head 4 or 5 feet off the ground and look you in the eye. He also had a pet cat, and took great lengths to ensure cat and snake were never in the same area or room because the result would be inevitable. When the snake was outside for some sun it was never alone, and when it showed determination to explore beyond its boundaries it took all your muscles (and his) to control it, and two of us to carry it.

There's been speculation that neighbourhoods which have had lots of cats go missing, to the extent people imagine some anti-cat person must be murdering them, are in fact having cats killed by a python someone lets roam in their garden, or one which has escaped. IMO it's irresponsible pet ownership to leave a snake like this unattended outdoors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    But it wasn't.

Let's ban all cats for killing those little innocent birds, mice etc.

The owner of the python was irresponsible, simple really.

But it could quite easily have been - what if there was a gap in the fencing or all that separated such a snake were bushes it could get through to the next door garden?

And last time I checked cats dont go around killing children whereas snakes like pythons have been known to....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it could quite easily have been - what if there was a gap in the fencing or all that separated such a snake were bushes it could get through to the next door garden?

And last time I checked cats dont go around killing children whereas snakes like pythons have been known to....

Dogs have killed children. Cows have killed people. Horses have killed people. However, these incidents, like the one in the Sun are very, very rare.

Do they warrant a disproportionate response with additional legistration? Would this even work? The DDA has not prevented dog attacks, nor has it eradicated 'Pit Bull Type' dogs.

Or should existing legislation be better enforced and civil action easier to instigate so that too becomes incentive to take proper responsibility for all pets?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member

No.
    What would have happened if a child had been crushed to death by the python then? I bet if that had happened there would have been outrage.

Parents should be teaching their children not to go wandering into other people's gardens. Apart from the danger aspect it's highly rude.
    Pythons can be dangerous in the wrong hands, people need to be aware if they are keeping these kind of pets.

I am sure a lot of people are aware of the dangers of keeping certain types of python; I would not go judging them all by one irresponsible owner, though.