Jamie - the big disappointment

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who is (in theory) a talented musician with his own band, what is he doing in the X-Factor anyway ? Surely anyone with even the remotest amount of song writing ability and experience of the circuit would avoid this type of contest - the end result is a restrictive contract with Cowell and then a dead end career.

Because he's 34 and tried all the usual routes and couldnt get a deal. At this point I think he'd be willing to give anything a go to get a break.
  • pgw71pgw71 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder Cowell would now regret even putting him through.

It's obvious that he has no idea what to do with him, hence the uninspired song choices, cheesy choreography and karaoke feel. I honestly feel there's much more to him than we are seeing - but its not really going to come out in the bear pit of the X Factor

Fair play to the guy for giving it a shot - as is often said 'its his last shot', and presumably he has exhausted other avenues. But its obvious that he doesn't really fit into the X-Factor demographic

It would actually be a bit embarrassing if he won. The Christmas record won't be chosen with him in mind, and I shudder to think what sort of album would put together for him :eek::eek: His best bet would be to get to about 5th or 6th and then get signed up by something else

I hope that happens for him, he seems like a nice bloke
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    The song choice was just atrocious there are so many other great rock songs he could have done such a shame and such a waste this week. Just goes to show SC knows nothing about rock with the songs he chose - if Jamie does get signed lets hope to god its not Syco.

I totally agree, this week should have been the week that Jamie was given a decent rock song that he could have brought the house down with,instead he was given a really boring and unchallenging tune and ended up sounding very similar to week 1 when he was given 'Get it On' . For crying out loud Simon get behind all your acts for a change you are being very unfair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaylah wrote: »
    Jamie is not being given the right Material his version of Hurt is fantastic, Yet last night the rock night he was given a rather watered down IMO rock song , WHY .
    I certainly would buy Jamies stuff for me he is the best performer there and one of the better voices, rarely out of tune and grerat stage presence.

I completely agree with this post.

I think Simon is stitching him up and not giving him the right song choices. Jamie was completely sabotaged on Big Band night by Simon changing the song with 24 hours to go and then on Rock Night when Jamie should have and could have shone, Simon does not give him a really good rock song, which would have shown Jamie at his best.

I seem to remember Ben Mills getting similar treatment and Ray Quinn (who was truly awful) coming second.

They just don't like or seem to want rock voices and performers on the X Factor.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Simo0n knows slightly less than bugger all about rock music it seems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jamie will be out soon. He isn't getting songs that will allow him to shine and I can agree with Louis in that his live show songs have always been old fashioned and don't make him "current" enough. He's also not putting his own spin on the songs. There's no originality in the live shows. This is in comparison to the auditions when he made all the decisions and was much more successful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't aspire to his performance atall last night... There were clearly 3 or 4 ahead of him and this should have been his week...

Very poor song choice from Simon I believe...

Had it been up to me I'd have had him singing the Chris Cornell version of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean... It's amazing and would have easily been the best performance of the night...
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    paula5246 wrote: »
    Jamie is so not meant to win. His 'hurt' was brilliant. But do you remember the judges saying it had not been good in rehearsals? He was meant to fail with that one too, but he got the better of them there. He will not be given a song like that again. Even last night Danii said he should have been singing something else (Madonna like a prayer? which he could have nailed) but no he is given a smallish rock song, which ends up making him look like a smallish rocker. Look at his face he knows hes being shafted.

Yes, I think his face says it all. I reckon he is truly amazed when he is voted through each week.

Again, I think Jamie knows he is cannon fodder on Simon's set and doesn't like it
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if the reason I've been so disappointed with Jamie is down to the fact that he's been in a covers band for some time. He gets hired to produce music close to the originals and provide a 'party' atmosphere - people at the events he goes to aren't wanting to here a brand new take on a track, they want close to the original so they can have a good backing track to dance/party along to. Completely different from going to see a specific band in concert.

Jamie has a decent voice, but is very used to doing generic covers, and this is, perhaps, spilling over into his XF performances, which are competant, but not really enough to make him stand out? Plus rubbish song choices of course.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    The song choice was just atrocious there are so many other great rock songs he could have done such a shame and such a waste this week. Just goes to show SC knows nothing about rock with the songs he chose - if Jamie does get signed lets hope to god its not Syco.

I love that song, and I liked Jamie's version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    i like him! i agree with what is being said... the song choices are utter crap! and Louis Walsh isn't helping with his biased views..like he would know a decent artist! he after all gave us Jedward who aren't even good enough to be bloody Karaoke! and westlife the crooners of the cover song... You just know after Jamie's performance all of which have been better than most on there that little Irish prick will say something to knock Jamie's confidence... i get so fed up i now put Louis on mute so as i dont put the remote through the TV... Louis even takes credit for JLS..if he was so good a mentor..why didn't they win then!!! arghhh hate him... I really hope Jamie is allowed to do some up to date rock songs..he is a rock singer i dont want to hear him sing Abba or whitney..i just want to hear him sing rock! the themes should be dropped....
  • mashedpotatoesmashedpotatoes Posts: 4,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel completely bored when I watch him for some reason. :confused:

me too - it's the same old same old. Mind you that goes for pretty much all the contestants
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    pau11n3 wrote: »
    i like him! i agree with what is being said... the song choices are utter crap! and Louis Walsh isn't helping with his biased views..like he would know a decent artist! he after all gave us Jedward who aren't even good enough to be bloody Karaoke! and westlife the crooners of the cover song... You just know after Jamie's performance all of which have been better than most on there that little Irish prick will say something to knock Jamie's confidence... i get so fed up i now put Louis on mute so as i dont put the remote through the TV... Louis even takes credit for JLS..if he was so good a mentor..why didn't they win then!!! arghhh hate him... I really hope Jamie is allowed to do some up to date rock songs..he is a rock singer i dont want to hear him sing Abba or whitney..i just want to hear him sing rock! the themes should be dropped....

...and breathe.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else disappointed by the song choice **** me the guys a rock guy is that the best that they could do even that was just pure kareoke - IMO one of the worst of the night. Luckily for him Daryl was sooooooooooooo bad vocally.

Oh. I thought this would be a thread about a groupie who'd slept with him.

Never mind.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Louis right, the world of 'rock' would be laughing their heads off at him. Rock is about bands playing instruments and writing songs. Now maybe jamie can do all of that but, he won't be given an opportunity to anything other than release an album full of covers and weak 'pop' songs if he wins the xfactor.

He did sing Kings of leon well, but IMO it was sung much better by the KOL themselves and it was also written by them. I find it incredibly cringeworthy when Jamie does his get the audience to join in bit, thats what hugw artists do when sing their OWN songs at their OWN concerts not at a glorified Karaoke fest.

Unfortunately thats all X factor is, I love it, but once the show is finished I have zero interest in what the finalists do with themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I think the song choices are definitely the issue here. Everyone, including me, seem really impressed with his version of Hurt. That was my favourite of the night.

The problem with the other weeks is that Simon isn't making Jamie relevant. I thought Jamie would be singing Sex on Fire last night or something a bit more updated or sexy. Instead he got an old pub jukebox rock song. He just looks so old fashioned up there and it's kinda boring... he needs to be updated and fast because he is only a week away or two from being eliminated.
  • lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    Wrong song choice for him.
    Nothing else.

This^

I never thought I'd ever see anyone sing Primal Scream in a singing competition. I mean, seriously, what?! There are so many amazing rock vocalists out there and SC picks some mediocre talk-singing pub anthem? Pathetic.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I like him but could someone explain to me what the tea towel sticking out of his pocket is all about?
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with this post.

I think Simon is stitching him up and not giving him the right song choices. Jamie was completely sabotaged on Big Band night by Simon changing the song with 24 hours to go and then on Rock Night when Jamie should have and could have shone, Simon does not give him a really good rock song, which would have shown Jamie at his best.

I seem to remember Ben Mills getting similar treatment and Ray Quinn (who was truly awful) coming second.

They just don't like or seem to want rock voices and performers on the X Factor.

Of course we think he is being stitched up but I personally think he is not being so.;)

What is happening is a lot more subtle than that. Seemingly SC is again playing with us all. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like him but could someone explain to me what the tea towel sticking out of his pocket is all about?

It is not a tea towel so I won't bother explaining why it is there. ;)

Anyway is winning the X factor the be all and end all of life of course it isn't.;)

We are told that Danyl is going to win or the twins so I don't think we have to worry to much about anything else really.;)

Remember we are being 'told' that Danyl or the Twins will win so I am not too bothered by anything at all as long as he is well that is all that matters in the end. ;)
    Forum Member
    mitacond wrote: »
    It is not a tea towel so I won't bother explaining why it is there. ;)

Anyway is winning the X factor the be all and end all of life of course it isn't.;)

We are told that Danyl is going to win or the twins so I don't think we have to worry to much about anything else really.;)

Remember we are being 'told' that Danyl or the Twins will win so I am not too bothered by anything at all as long as he is well that is all that matters in the end. ;)

lol what is it then & why is it there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol what is it then & why is it there?

If you go and look at the Diaries of Jamie on the Xf site you will see what he says about them. ;):D:D

Oh he was not wearing one on the Big Band night.:D
    Forum Member
    ugh forget it.

anyone else care to tell me?
  • lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    A tea towel... hahaha <3

He's not a bus boy :p
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    fifilapew wrote: »
    I think Louis right, the world of 'rock' would be laughing their heads off at him. Rock is about bands playing instruments and writing songs. Now maybe jamie can do all of that but, he won't be given an opportunity to anything other than release an album full of covers and weak 'pop' songs if he wins the xfactor.

He did sing Kings of leon well, but IMO it was sung much better by the KOL themselves and it was also written by them. I find it incredibly cringeworthy when Jamie does his get the audience to join in bit, thats what hugw artists do when sing their OWN songs at their OWN concerts not at a glorified Karaoke fest.

Unfortunately thats all X factor is, I love it, but once the show is finished I have zero interest in what the finalists do with themselves.

And I thought Journey did the song better than Joe, and I thought Guns N Roses did the song better than....blah blah blah.