Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed The Office and Extras but I think Derek is awful. Ricky Gervais is a poor actor who is only watchable when he's playing a version of himself (David Brent and Andy Millman). Whenever he tries to play someone very removed from his own persona, he struggles. His portrayal of "Derek" is like a kid in a playground mimicking a person with learning difficulties and it's actually borderline offensive.

A good friend of mine worked with him on the Muppet Movie and says he's an arrogant knob who was universally disliked by cast and crew, I've no reason to disbelieve him.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but they are completely wrong. And so are you.

In your opinion.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Derek is better than The Office and Extras because, occasional lapses into sentimentality apart, it holds a mirror up to life in care homes and the awkwardness of relationships without being arch. He has had to make a number of compromises in his portrayal of Derek but overall it pays off.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    I think Derek is his best work outside of the Office (which is one of the greatest TV achievements of all time IMO). Extras felt rather ill-focused at times and often was just a series of funny scenarios linked together with some filler inbetween.

Derek has real depth to it. Quite brave of Gervais to actually go down that path actually.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I'm sort of looking forward to this. The first series had a lot of good elements, but also many that I found fault with.

I think this has been the weakest series that Ricky Gervais has done - he seems to have lost the subtle touch he brilliantly displayed in both The Office and Extras. Derek, in comparison, was about as unsubtle as comedy/pathos could get.

I'll give the first episode a go to see whether it's improved or not.

Maybe that something lost is Steve Merchant, He could be the writer of the subtleness in the scripts.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more to do with the time he's spent in the U.S. as Derek has that mawkish sentimentality common to their sitcoms but rare over here.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good friend of mine worked with him on the Muppet Movie and says he's an arrogant knob who was universally disliked by cast and crew, I've no reason to disbelieve him.

I can't stand the "my friend" stories when that's clearly all they are, stories.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gervais is an enigma to me, his stand up routine can be cruel & nasty, so I don't know if he's being sincere about his portrayal of Derek or is it one big piss take on special needs people?

watch this does the autograph hunter remind you of anyone??
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    Gervais is an enigma to me, his stand up routine can be cruel & nasty, so I don't know if he's being sincere about his portrayal of Derek or is it one big piss take on special needs people?

There's been 60 pages of this throughout the first series :D
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand the "my friend" stories when that's clearly all they are, stories.

Sigh, does it not occur to you that people who work in the entertainment industry have a social life?

Personally I can't stand people who cannot comprehend that some people live different kinds of lives to them and seem to assume that everyone is "lying" because they're not a sad, friendless article like you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »

He's cruel and nasty if you take everything literally. My own sense of humour is completely separate to my own moral compass, but I'll cross the line to get a laugh and couldn't give a shiny shite what certain people think. RG does exactly the same to a worldwide audience. Who doesn't get a kick out of annoying folks with a pole up their arse?

Derek for me was and is a feel good programme. Choose to be cynical if you want, your loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh, does it not occur to you that people who work in the entertainment industry have a social life?

Personally I can't stand people who cannot comprehend that some people live different kinds of lives to them and seem to assume that everyone is "lying" because they're not a sad, friendless article like you.

Insert devastated face here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Returns tonight at 10.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Channel 4 work with Netflix on this? Netflix seem to brand it up as a "Netflix Original"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Does Channel 4 work with Netflix on this? Netflix seem to brand it up as a "Netflix Original"
    As far as I understood Channel 4 commissioned the series, but they had a deal for it to premiere on Netflix in the US?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On soon....
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening. Bring on the haters. You'd think they wouldn't waste their time watching shows they don't like.....

Takes all sorts, I suppose......
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Karl's last episode tonight...... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A minute in and already again with the constant maudlin piano music ^_^
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like that Vicky is permanent now
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    A minute in and already again with the constant maudlin piano music ^_^

As would be used in such a documentary...
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kev in the background haha
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Who else is on Twitter right now?

That tweet was just sent when Vicky did it on TV. Very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    As would be used in such a documentary...
    Even real documentaries in a similar vein don't lay it on that thick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I find Derek depressing rather than funny. Ricky Gervais doesn't seem able to create a character separate from his others.