The Aviation Thread

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Heathrow wishes it were as cool as Gatwick.

Gatwick has a shuttle! So nyeeer.

So does Heathrow.
    From the car park to Terminal 5.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I hate taking the tube to Heathrow, it's such a drag! :D

Take the Express or the Connect instead then.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    So does Heathrow.

Oookay then. Thanks for that!

I never use the carpark but I'll keep it in mind next time I go there to try it out.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldnt really tell you much about Heathrow.

The fact I live next door to it doesnt matter one iota.

I always seem to have to fly out of Gatwick :mad:
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Heathrow, but only when I'm going somewhere! :D Not when I'm dropping someone off :( It's such an exciting place :):o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Heathrow is just horrendous in peak times, outside of that it's a bit easier to cope with.

I've always thought Birmingham would be a better place to jet off from for many (depends where you live) though not sure many tourists coming in would want to land in Birmingham!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Heathrow has got a fair bit better since Gatwick was sold off to someone else (as has Gatwick improved as well) - competition has improves services here it seems.

Terminal 1 is looking pretty dated now, when is it due to shut, fairly soon I believe, as its replacement is being built at the moment?
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Well, biggest airport in the world, needs a discussion thread.

Then why is the thread entitled 'London Heathrow'? The King Khalid International airport is the largest in the world, and by quite some margin too. Heathrow is a mere 5mi² miles, the King Khalid is nigh on 85mi².
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Then why is the thread entitled 'London Heathrow'? The King Khalid International airport is the largest in the world, and by quite some margin too. Heathrow is a mere 5mi² miles, the King Khalid is nigh on 85mi².

I think the OP meant busiest? Though that appears to be Atlanta?
  • LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does Heathrow.

And the numerous BA internal flights to Manchester,Glasgow,Edinburgh and Aberdeen*

(*Radio callsign is Shuttle)

Heathrow expansion - My take.

The facts are:

The UK needs a hub airport.
    This needs to be in or very near to London.
    It needs it asap
    Any new airport project will take at least 20 years just to start on site.
    Any new airport will cost the taxpayer billions.
    LHR expansion will be paid for by Ferrovial/BAA.
    LHR Expansion can be carried out by Ferrovial who are also one of the biggest civil engineering companies in the world (currently building the new T2)
    Transport connections are already in place to LHR with more in progress (Crossrail, currently being built by Ferrovial coincidentally, who also donated a large chunk of money towards the project).
    2 new world class terminals already on site. Baggage tunnels, fuel pipelines etc. already in place.
    Hotels, cargo distribution centres, airline offices and staff all based around the airport.

There is only one 'no brainer' as far as I can see. The fact that they are going full steam ahead with large scale infrastructure projects at the airport and Crossrail is going there also seems to me like this was decided a long time ago and we are just seeing the political merry go round in practice. Heathrow expansion will happen!
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,538
    Forum Member
    Heathrow is great!. I always fly out of there on purpose because I love how big/busy it is. I love flying and wouldn't fly out of anywhere else. I'd live on the runway if I could :)
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Heathrow is great!. I always fly out of there on purpose because I love how big/busy it is. I love flying and wouldn't fly out of anywhere else. I'd live on the runway if I could :)

Why don't you get a job there, one of them lollipop wavers guiding the planes on the ground?
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    I saw my first real life A380 the other day there. a Qantas one...meh.

I've only flown from Terminals 3 and 5, and 5 is ace.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,538
    Forum Member
    Why don't you get a job there, one of them lollipop wavers guiding the planes on the ground?

I did have a look on the BAA site for jobs at heathrow but most of them seem to be the more high skilled ones. Not the one's that let me watch planes all day
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I think the OP meant busiest? Though that appears to be Atlanta?

Yeah, ATL has been the World's busiest for sometime now, nearly 15 years I believe. That's why I assumed the OP was on about physical size.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    I did have a look on the BAA site for jobs at heathrow but most of them seem to be the more high skilled ones. Not the one's that let me watch planes all day

There is always a row of plane spotters on the perimeter roads at Heathrow.

Grab a thermos and some binoculous and you too could join them and watch planes all day :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the Express or the Connect instead then.

I do on occasion, but from my house it's much easier to jump on the tube when carrying luggage. The journey is tiring but you only have to change once (Central to Piccadilly at Holborn)
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recall having any good experiences of Heathrow, and try to avoid it if I can. Living in South West London I'm greatly opposed to its expansion as the noise would be even worse.
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Yeah, ATL has been the World's busiest for sometime now, nearly 15 years I believe. That's why I assumed the OP was on about physical size.

It's the busiest in Europe, that'll do. :D
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Quick question about heathrow. I'm there 2 weeks today for my flight. Would the airport shops have books out for release that day , Cheryl's autobiography is out that day and I'm relying on it to get through my 11 hour flight
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Quick question about heathrow. I'm there 2 weeks today for my flight. Would the airport shops have books out for release that day , Cheryl's autobiography is out that day and I'm relying on it to get through my 11 hour flight

At WHSmith, I'd have thought so.

(Though why you'd want to buy that book is beyond me. :) )
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever flown out or in to Heathrow. Manchester was my nearest airport but all my long haul flights from there had connections in Gatwick, Schiphol, Frankfurt or a connecting flight within the US only.
    There is a direct flight from Heathrow to Seattle (BA) but as I don't intend to visit the UK there's no reason to use it.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    In terms of international passengers, I believe Heathrow is the biggest.
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    At WHSmith, I'd have thought so.

(Though why you'd want to buy that book is beyond me. :))

It's a good sleeping pill I heard, ideal for an 11 hour flight.:p
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there are any members on this forum who are staff at Heathrow :D