do you think have ones of these in 10 years or lees?

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd55s8505-curved-led-4k-uhd-3d-android-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p2059365 this is A vary Price but it is Stunning I like the Curverd tvs but This First Sony i seen it Is Superb it Will be few years before i by a new TV i got a about 18 mrouths ago i saw this in Southampton the other day but i Think The 4K are the way to go it be like having the iMax in your home ?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like buying a Ferrari and only being able to drive in a 30 mph zone!
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    55" is a little large for our use, but I'd love to have something like a 40" UHD screen, mainly for connecting to the PC for playback and games :)
    For a games player a large UHD curved screen could be awesome as a lot of serious PC gamers are already running at UHD type resolutions, often using multiple monitors to get a similar effect.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about upgrading to a new TV next year.

I have 2 lines of thought.

Get a "good" set, future proof as much as poss, so 4k, hdmi 2.0. Sony, Panasonic, etc etc.

With the reduced anoint of large screen viewing I do now, and the fact there is no 4k as of yet, get a cheaper full-hd set as an interim purchase. But this does seem like a waste of money to me.

Best route?
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    55" is a little large for our use, but I'd love to have something like a 40" UHD screen, mainly for connecting to the PC for playback and games :)
    For a games player a large UHD curved screen could be awesome as a lot of serious PC gamers are already running at UHD type resolutions, often using multiple monitors to get a similar effect.
    i do agree 55 is large Like to see them go 32 or 34 of course the price Come down in Bt /Netflix and Amazon have 4 k uhd Service up to Sky / Vm and network Like BBC and ITV to thither Finger out later this year 4k Bu-ray come out
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a 40 inch UHD TV in John Lewis this week. On demo material you could watch it from a little over a foot away but as the screen was flat it was a vey unpleasant experience particularly if you wear glasses. At a more normal 10 foot or so it was increasingly difficult to see the difference between it and a good quality HD TV of the same size also running demo material. As demo material is hand picked and carefully post produced by the manufacturer to produce the best possible picture on their products, it is unlikely that broadcast pictures will be meaningfully better in a normal home with screens of this size. The introduction of HDR and HFR may change that but the improvements will have to be very noticeable and sustainable to the public on real world pictures not demos.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I saw a 40 inch UHD TV in John Lewis this week. On demo material you could watch it from a little over a foot away but as the screen was flat it was a vey unpleasant experience particularly if you wear glasses. At a more normal 10 foot or so it was increasingly difficult to see the difference between it and a good quality HD TV of the same size also running demo material. As demo material is hand picked and carefully post produced by the manufacturer to produce the best possible picture on their products, it is unlikely that broadcast pictures will be meaningfully better in a normal home with screens of this size. The introduction of HDR and HFR may change that but the improvements will have to be very noticeable and sustainable to the public on real world pictures not demos.

10ft would not be classed as a normal or even a recommended viewing distance on a 40" Full HD let alone UHD, which is why you found it difficult to see any difference.

At 5'-6' on a 40" you should be able to tell the difference between the two formats, I certainly can, though closer viewing to the UHD rewards you with more detail.

Certain 4k on Netflix can be and is equally as good as the demos running in stores - the quality of BT's UHD has been reported as being stunning, whether the quality remains at this level only time will tell, my guess is bitrates and further compression will follow just like it did with HD, leaving the viewer with lower quality pictures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    10ft would not be classed as a normal or even a recommended viewing distance on a 40" Full HD let alone UHD, which is why you found it difficult to see any difference.

At 5'-6' on a 40" you should be able to tell the difference between the two formats, I certainly can, though closer viewing to the UHD rewards you with more detail.

Certain 4k on Netflix can be and is equally as good as the demos running in stores - the quality of BT's UHD has been reported as being stunning, whether the quality remains at this level only time will tell, my guess is bitrates and further compression will follow just like it did with HD, leaving the viewer with lower quality pictures.

I presume you are not married or have children, 5'-6' is out of the question when several people are watching, that distance is for solo viewing only.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a 4k demo on a brand new large screen TV just a few weeks back. Next to it was a large full HD screen showing an HD picture. The 4k not only had a sharper image, but a much better depth to it (this being the thing that stood out to me).
    I was stood close to the displays and I wear glasses as well. If money were no object I would have bought the 4k TV right there snd then, just from the 1 experience.

I think the 4k demo has impressed me more than those early HD demos did.
    Forum Member
    I presume you are not married or have children, 5'-6' is out of the question when several people are watching, that distance is for solo viewing only.

You presume wrong, married with grandkids.

My point was, if you were viewing 4k outside the distance for Full HD you wouldn't have seen a difference. If you had compared the two formats at a suggested/recommend Full HD distance (5-6') you should have seen a difference.

If viewing 40" Full HD at 10ft there would be little point in moving up to 4k.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I saw a 4k demo on a brand new large screen TV just a few weeks back. Next to it was a large full HD screen showing an HD picture. The 4k not only had a sharper image, but a much better depth to it (this being the thing that stood out to me).
    I was stood close to the displays and I wear glasses as well. If money were no object I would have bought the 4k TV right there snd then, just from the 1 experience.

I think the 4k demo has impressed me more than those early HD demos did.
    if money was no object and i had a lager Lodge i wood have to go for this Sony Curved TV it superb i Love my 2 Hd tv my Sony is the one i like the most and total Agree with David but i always had eye for new teq in TVs sic my teens
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    You presume wrong, married with grandkids.

My point was, if you were viewing 4k outside the distance for Full HD you wouldn't have seen a difference. If you had compared the two formats at a suggested/recommend Full HD distance (5-6') you should have seen a difference.

If viewing 40" Full HD at 10ft there would be little point in moving up to 4k.

I think you have just given the main reason why 4K may not become main stream. Most homes are occupied by families and few people want an IMAX screen in their living room, as even modern sets with a minimal screen surround are not things of beauty when switched off, as they are for most of the day. Also SD pictures on a 40 inch are already a bit iffy, never mind on something larger, and as there are still a lot of SD channels, not to mention DVDs larger screens may well be unacceptable to most people.
    Forum Member
    I think you have just given the main reason why 4K may not become main stream. Most homes are occupied by families and few people want an IMAX screen in their living room, as even modern sets with a minimal screen surround are not things of beauty when switched off, as they are for most of the day. Also SD pictures on a 40 inch are already a bit iffy, never mind on something larger, and as there are still a lot of SD channels, not to mention DVDs larger screens may well be unacceptable to most people.

4k content may not become mainstream for decades, but the same can't be said about 4k TV's, they will become mainstream and in the foreseeable future.

The average tv is getting bigger and bigger whilst the audio is getting thinner and thinner, often forcing viewers to look at alternitive sound systems, so I'd have to say home cinema is bigger then ever.

A good set should produce acceptable SD quality, especially on DVD, broadcast quality can be iffy depending on source. A decent upscaler and processing power go along way in producing a good upscaled image, my projector can deliver very good SD pictures and that's on a 120" screen.

The average viewer will not care less about screen size/viewing distance, SD/HD/UHD etc, so long as the pictures are bright and colourful they are happy, it's the enthusiast and those who are particular about quality who will go the extra yard to get the best out of what they have.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have agree that am curve not best 4k view. Many HD inch make deep pixel wall back sharp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

What a pity such clear and precise information is no longer available. Nice to know he has successor though. :)
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bigger the better for me, with these flatscreen tvs. I have a 55" set on the wall at the end of my lounge which is 20ft long. Even crappy itv4 looks ok on it- id like a 74" or so now. Upscaled dvds look fine on it for my eyes,and I just watch freeview hd on it so cinemascreen it is! I should imagine if the 4K ever gets off the ground it'll be pin sharp... But do we really need it for the news, emmerdale, old films etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a666688/4k-tv-is-the-future-as-uhd-1-launches-as-the-worlds-first-24-hour-uhd-tv-channel.html#~pnkkKEDqipqaKX just found out guys on Digital Spy home page The thing is When is Sky /VM & networks Like Itv 4 and 5 Start i understand the beeb have cash flow Problem they wont stat any service
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »

An upscaler cannot magically generate what is not there to begin with. The pictures are still SD.

So you keep saying - so how about explaining the process of how an SD resolution of 720x576 gets upscaled to a HD resolution of 1920x1080, where the difference in pixel count is 1,658,880, what information do these pixels show?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    Okay if after up scaling the picture is still SD why does it look 'better' ?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am not planning to go 4k myself, no doubt i will need a new Tv in the next few years, but it will not be 4K. i doubt there be any 4K content or very little even in ten years.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just get a reasonably good one now. You wouldn't expect to pay much over £500 would you? Good for a few years, until next gen specs get sorted.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i am not planning to go 4k myself, no doubt i will need a new Tv in the next few years, but it will not be 4K. i doubt there be any 4K content or very little even in ten years.

ten years is a lonnnnng time in tech , so no disrespect sir but i have to disagree with you entirely , i think in ten years you will struggle to buy any set without a 4k resolution ( minimum ) ,,,,,, and that there will be very little indeed in the way of sd broadcasts , if any