Options

When will driveless car's be ready?

Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't be bothered doing my driving test and don't want to have to worry about crashing... So are we looking at 5 years? ... I will just get a drivless car and away I go

Comments

• Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    I can't be bothered doing my driving test and don't want to have to worry about crashing... So are we looking at 5 years? ... I will just get a drivless car and away I go

I think we are about ten years away from them being mainstream.

Have you had many lessons so far? I was a nervous learner and worried about being in an accident but the more experience I gained the more confident I became and I became less and less nervous and worried about an accident. Learning to drive is stressful but so worth it when it comes to getting a job and having your independence to go out when you want.

What is it about learning you hate? Maybe an automatic might be an option for you they are much much easier to drive if you are struggling with gears and the biting point carry on.

It is very unlikely you will be in an accident if you drive at the correct speed for the road you are on and you react promptly to the road environment around you. You can even get cars now with auto brake so it is very difficult to bump into the car in front.

Good luck I hope you pass your test one day don't put too much pressure on yourself learn when you are ready.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What you need is a bus
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What you need is a bus
    Or KITT from Knight Rider.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus wept
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that not what public transport is for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you had many lessons so far? I was a nervous learner and worried about being in an accident but the more experience I gained the more confident I became and I became less and less nervous and worried about an accident. Learning to drive is stressful but so worth it when it comes to getting a job and having your independence to go out when you want.

What is it about learning you hate? Maybe an automatic might be an option for you they are much much easier to drive if you are struggling with gears and the biting point carry on.

It is very unlikely you will be in an accident if you drive at the correct speed for the road you are on and you react promptly to the road environment around you. You can even get cars now with auto brake so it is very difficult to bump into the car in front.

Good luck I hope you pass your test one day don't put too much pressure on yourself learn when you are ready.

10 years ...
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driverless car's what?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As James May said on a repeat of a Top Gear programme when they were discussing driverless cars "we already have them, they are called taxis"
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably never, considering the way the world works.

Have an accident on the road today, one of the drivers is at fault. Have an accident on the road in a driverless car, lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit!!
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably never, considering the way the world works.

Have an accident on the road today, one of the drivers is at fault. Have an accident on the road in a driverless car, lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit!!

The various manufacturers do seem to be spending a lot of time and trouble to get one to work..
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=driverless+car&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEYQsARqFQoTCNiPgdmr0ccCFUIW2wodNO0AWA&biw=1024&bih=505
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're ready now

But the makers of Driving Gloves are buying them all up and destroying them
  • Options
    Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes 10 years time but that will be for millionaires and big major companies.
    For the average Joe it will be another 25 years and will not be able to afford it as it will cost as much as a house in London.

For now just stick to public transport, less hassle.

He dosn't to want to learn to drive, that's the whole point of this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 10 years time but that will be for millionaires and big major companies.
    For the average Joe it will be another 25 years and will not be able to afford it as it will cost as much as a house in London.

For now just stick to public transport, less hassle.

He dosn't to want to learn to drive, that's the whole point of this thread.

Yes it's a great thread as well
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Always hard to tell with new technology. Something that's as big a change as this will be adopted at different rates around Europe, never mind the rest of the world. The chances are that as long as the car has a steering wheel you'll need to have a driving licence if you sit in that seat, even if the car is doing the driving.

It's pretty likely that the first generation of driverless cars to be introduced will be hybrids (driverless as an option) until enough people are convinced driverless can work in practice.
  • Options
    Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's a great thread as well

Indeed, I'm in the same situation. :blush:blush::D

I hope it will be afforable, I'll be the best skill driverless in Britain. :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What you need is a bus

The trouble is you have to wait for buses. If you have a car, you can go somewhere the instant you want to.
  • Options
    Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My car is "driveless."

We only have an allocated parking space in the street. :cry:
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The trouble is you have to wait for buses. If you have a car, you can go somewhere the instant you want to.

Yes buses aren't a spur of the moment thing
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top Gear will have to change its name to Go Button.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,555
    Forum Member
    My car is "driveless."

We only have an allocated parking space in the street. :cry:

My car will also be driveless until the transmission is fixed.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually looking forward to automated vehicles becoming mainstream. It will be the next big technoloigcal step in our history, like 3D printing and robotic wives (EDIT: scratch that).

The Google driverless cars being tested across America are showing impressive interim results. Accidents and collisions involving these cars is apparently due to the carelessness of the other motorists.

To be honest, the way modern technology is making our lives at the wheel so much easier nowadays (cruise control, parking sensors, HUD panels, automatic gearboxes and automated braking systems, integrated Wifi and smart technology on the dashboard...), this is the next logical transition.

To people suggesting taxis and public transport, erm, firstly, cost. Secondly, who in their right mind would honestly prefer pubic transport over their own private vehicle? Lunatics, that's who.

In answer to the OP, I hope we will see the first driverless cars available to buy within 3 or 4 years; and for them to become widespread within 10 years from now.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first phase i see will be for those who clock up the miles such as truckers/sales people etc where the car will probably handle 99% of the journey and while you'll still need a license to use one it'll allow a lot more people perhaps to do things that are troublesome today, town parkings a bitch now just imagine you can look at your phone and see how long it will take your car to arrive outside works door and hit a button and it'll be there on time.

The ultimate goal will probably be a fleet of these vehicles working 24x7 getting people to where they want to go so a bit like a robotic taxi service but a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible, go to the garden centre in a little 2 seater but return in a large van with 20 bags of compost and lord knows what else and thats before all the worries of insurance/taxing/maintenance etc
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The ultimate goal will probably be a fleet of these vehicles working 24x7 getting people to where they want to go so a bit like a robotic taxi service but a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible, go to the garden centre in a little 2 seater but return in a large van with 20 bags of compost and lord knows what else and thats before all the worries of insurance/taxing/maintenance etc

Perhaps in a Utopian world, but in reality I think it might be a tad less perfect than that!

Just taking the garden centre example, companies supplying vehicles would be very unlikely to have a big enough fleet of vans to provide immediate service at peak times such as bank holidays. You'd have to sit there on your 20 bags of compost, twiddling your thumbs and waiting your turn. You'd then have to wait for the vehicle to be delivered from the nearest depot. Of course, you might be able to get it a bit quicker if it came from another customer who lived closer, but tough luck if the aforementioned customer left the interior in a bit of a mess! You'd then have to provide evidence regarding the state of the vehicle and either wait for another one, or put up with someone else's trash.

On the way home, you decide to call in at a the pub as it's a nice day. Fine ... but you'd probably still have to pay for the journey you haven't done as that's what you booked it for and why should the vehicle provider put up with you changing your mind?

You enjoy a few glasses of wine, then call for another van ... and again you have to wait your turn!

Oh dear ... you've just noticed that the garden centre overcharged you for the compost! Never mind ... but you can't simply turn round and go back! No sirree! You have to go home and wait for another car (presumably a two-seater) to get you to the garden centre. Now, how long is it going to take to sort out the issue with the receipt? Do you hope it's going to be quick so risk keeping the car at the garden centre, or do you let the car head off to the next customer and then wait for yet another car?

The answer is clearly hover-boards! ;-)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Don't be so stupid. It's obviously Jet-Packs!
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only 51 days left to invent them :)