Broadband telephone services.

Firstly,I hope this is the forum for this as it is a sort of landline phone question.

Has anyone reading this got one of these broadband telephone services? If so how good are they?

I'm not too bothered about the price(though it does come into it)but how it actually works.I saw an advert in today's Metro newspaper for a good deal with Vonage.

I want to know how the actual system works and if you need to have your computer on all the time to use it.I have NTL/Virgin 2MB broadband and often think about using one of these phones but I don't want to leave the computer on 24/7 to use it.Does the box you get work in the same principle as a wireless router and plugs into your cable modem? Can anyone enlighten me please.

Thanks.........................

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    I always start by consulting Wikipedia when I want such answers.

You only have to leave your router switched on BTW.
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    It's called VOIP, Voice over IP (internet protocol), you need a ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) it converts your old analogue phone signal into a digital signal so it can be fed through your router into a server that allows calls to be made.

You can get ATA's built into routers, you can hire the equipment on a monthly rate with a call package from Vonage or you can buy it and sign up with 1 of the many VOIP providers.

You can also buy a SIP phone, which is a digital VOIP phone and just plug to straight into your router, these start from about £25.

Some providers give you inbound numbers, and of course calls are very cheap and monthly rates start from free. There's big savings to be made.

I typed into goodgle 'guide to voip' and this was the first result, should give you some more reading.

http://www.jiwire.com/voip-guide-intro.htm
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a novice, Vonage is a very good option (especially on the £5.99 promotion). It is possible to get cheaper, but Vonage does have everything you need.

Have a look in the VOIP subsection.