Options

Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    That was actually Mr Granger blacked up. Previously they had recreated The Black & White Minstrals as part of a celebration for Mr Grace. Stuff they could never get away with now !

It's going back so long now and I was only a child when I saw it so I didn't remember the rest of the story. Young Mr Grace presumably? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've now watched yesterday's episode.

Mr Grumpy who didn't like, and wasn't liked by children, decided to play the race card when he was de-selected as Father Christmas. How about he just wasn't suitable for the job? Mrs Tembe should never have asked him - she must have known he wasn't the right man.

Apart from anything else, I'll say again, Father Christmas IS white. Sorry to burst any PC bubbles.

He was right about books though. I say the same thing to children at the school library where I help out when I come across a reluctant reader.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It's going back so long now and I was only a child when I saw it so I didn't remember the rest of the story. Young Mr Grace presumably? ;-)

That's right. You've all done very well !
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many Geordies will be offended at the portrayal of Jack's girlfriend in today's episode. Very thick accent none of them could understand !
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niamh. Dun dun duuuhhhh!
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Loved the wedding. Hearing 'Faith' made me smile.

Could Mrs Tembe not just have been a guest instead of having to step in and officiate. Not that I dislike the character, but when theres a nose to be stuck in some place hers is always there front and centre, it seems. I don't know, it just kind of irritated me, I guess.

Lucky Rob and Karen, Acapulco would be a great honeymoon. After everything they've been through it was nice to see them get a happy ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many Geordies will be offended at the portrayal of Jack's girlfriend in today's episode. Very thick accent none of them could understand !

Like Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Oz had such a strong Geordie accent that the other two Geordies had to translate for the others!

I thought today's was very funny in parts. If that was all the ceremony was though I wonder why they had to go to such a lot of trouble? I also don't like 'personalised vows'. They're usually cringeworthy.

I wonder why Niamh couldn't go to the 'wedding' yet Frank, who they've known for five minutes, and Ayesha who they've known about 6 minutes, did go? Also no Daniel :confused: I realise that they needed to have Niamh left behind for this storyline of the dead man, but it's unfair that Ayesha went and the blonde nurse in the background didn't.

I didn't recognise the registrar, but when the name came up at the end I realised she's Lilian Bellamy from The Archers. She's got quite a posh accent in that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    B*witched wrote: »
    Could Mrs Tembe not just have been a guest instead of having to step in and officiate. Not that I dislike the character, but when theres a nose to be stuck in some place hers is always there front and centre, it seems. I don't know, it just kind of irritated me, I guess.

I do see your point, but I just see Mrs Tembe as being a very big-hearted woman who just wants to help out. Sometimes it can be taken the wrong way, but I honestly don't think she ever means anything other thank kindness.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Speaking as a born and bred Newcastle gal I have to say that I thought it was rather funny :D I must say though, I've known very few people talk that broad or that fast and even other Geordies were a bit 'eh?' When 'Come on Eileen' was playing I couldn't understand her either and had to put the subs on :D

I really enjoyed the wedding/vow renewal. I quite liked Mrs Tembe officiating, made it rather personal for them. (I hate cringey self-written vows though, I think I'd die of embarrassment standing in front of all those people saying those things :blush:)

Loved Karen's dress. (she's got a fab figure!)

Niamh. What the .... :o Did she just completely freeze or is she not properly qualified?

Great cliffhanger and lovely feel-good end for the Christmas break :)
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought someone was going to die?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    I thought someone was going to die?

The old man did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Loved Karen's dress. (she's got a fab figure!)

She's lost a lot of weight since she started on Doctors. I'm really jealous :(
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's lost a lot of weight since she started on Doctors. I'm really jealous :(

Me too. I am SO going on a diet in the new year, lol!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see lovely Jack, once again.;-)
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    I do see your point, but I just see Mrs Tembe as being a very big-hearted woman who just wants to help out. Sometimes it can be taken the wrong way, but I honestly don't think she ever means anything other thank kindness.

Yes I didnt mean she was doing anything in a bad way just that sometimes some characters can seem a bit overused when theyre suddenly thrust into certain situations randomly. Just a minor thing, really, in an otherwise enjoyable episode.
  • Options
    andalgandalg Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Like Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Oz had such a strong Geordie accent that the other two Geordies had to translate for the others!

I thought today's was very funny in parts. If that was all the ceremony was though I wonder why they had to go to such a lot of trouble? I also don't like 'personalised vows'. They're usually cringeworthy.

I wonder why Niamh couldn't go to the 'wedding' yet Frank, who they've known for five minutes, and Ayesha who they've known about 6 minutes, did go? Also no Daniel :confused: I realise that they needed to have Niamh left behind for this storyline of the dead man, but it's unfair that Ayesha went and the blonde nurse in the background didn't.

I didn't recognise the registrar, but when the name came up at the end I realised she's Lilian Bellamy from The Archers. She's got quite a posh accent in that!

Ah but the blonde nurse did go and she speaks ! see http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02flknn and hear for yourself
  • Options
    DaveinLeedsDaveinLeeds Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And played by the same actor as well!

Some good humour in today's show: "at least you weren't hit by a car this time", Valerie saying Karen looked like a pirate after the others assured her she didn't and Imogen's comments about Jack's track record with girlfriends.

Does the silent nurse have a name?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andalg wrote: »
    Ah but the blonde nurse did go and she speaks ! see http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02flknn and hear for yourself

So she did! Why can't they give her a bigger role?
  • Options
    The_Time_BeingThe_Time_Being Posts: 434
    Forum Member

Does the silent nurse have a name?:)

I call her "Nurse Sponge" - remember Private Sponge in Dad's Army?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    And didn't he look so bloody sexy. I'd rip that suit off him right away :blush:
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Well that is that :(

What a brilliant episode to end 2014 on. Karen and Rob have had a hell of a year and it wasn't too great for Immie and Jack either to see their mother in such a bad state
    and for them to feel like they didn't have a mother any longer. They have come such a way and it has been a joy to watch he family starting over again.
    Nice of Jack not to bring up the kiss with Karen even for a joke.

I had to laugh at Valarie today. I must admit I found her amusing trying to sing and keep Karen away from Rob.

Jimmi said Rob might feel a prick :o:D

It was so nice to have the whole cast (Minus Daniel and Zara) on screen today

The Wedding scenes are something we rarely get in Doctors and I thought that was such a great way to end the year. Not keen on Jack's Girlfriend though. He can do miles better.

Nice touch at the end with the fake snow :)

Is there anything Mrs Tembe can't do? Santa yesterday and today she performed her first wedding :D

Now what is that Cliffhanger :o Is Niamh not a Doctor then? :o:o Can't wait until the 5th January now :) 9.5/10:)
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Well that is that :(

What a brilliant episode to end 2014 on. Karen and Rob have had a hell of a year and it wasn't too great for Immie and Jack either to see their mother in such a bad state
    and for them to feel like they didn't have a mother any longer. They have come such a way and it has been a joy to watch he family starting over again.
    Nice of Jack not to bring up the kiss with Karen even for a joke.

I had to laugh at Valarie today. I must admit I found her amusing trying to sing and keep Karen away from Rob.

Jimmi said Rob might feel a prick :o:D

It was so nice to have the whole cast (Minus Daniel and Zara) on screen today

The Wedding scenes are something we rarely get in Doctors and I thought that was such a great way to end the year. Not keen on Jack's Girlfriend though. He can do miles better.

Nice touch at the end with the fake snow :)

Is there anything Mrs Tembe can't do? Santa yesterday and today she performed her first wedding :D

Now what is that Cliffhanger :o Is Niamh not a Doctor then? :o:o Can't wait until the 5th January now :) 9.5/10:)

With Niamh, maybe it was some kind of ptsd reaction if thats the right word? I'm guessing she did train as a doctor at some point as the guy from the canteen turned up but maybe she dropped out before qualifying after a similar experience to the episodes? Or maybe she did qualify and it was a relative or friend back home? I don't see how there's anyway back if shes a fraud, but they've really intergrated her into the show (and the actress can actually act). Then again, maybe thats the plan as it would be much more of a shock.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    Oooh Niamh :o. I see the possibilities as

1. She isn't a real doctor and has a twin sister who is the real Niamh and a doctor, explaining the guy who turned up the other week and the fact Niamh couldn't remember him. She's jealous of her sister or some such story similar to Freya's sister where she feels everyone ignores her so has stolen her identity to be like her.

2. She is an ex-medical student but dropped out before qualifying after failing her exams, but still fancied herself as a doctor so is using false qualifications?

3. She is a qualified doctor, but made some terrible mistake in the past which has led to her suffering from anxiety and panic attacks.

Surely the partners would have checked references and that she is a registered GP, or will we have a scenario where Howard forgot to follow it up? I am guessing when Doctors comes back in Jan, the woman will have complained about Niamh's reaction and the partners will have launched an investigation. I can see Al having his heart broken as he will stand up for her and find his loyalties misplaced.

Rob and Karen's wedding was lovely. Was nice to see Jack and Immy too. Thought Jack's gf was funny. Karen was looking very Gabrielle with her eye patch.

Emma is like some randy old sow isn't she? If it has male parts she wants it.
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Emma was telling someone that Daniel went back to Australia to help out Zara with Joe because he`s still recovering from the measles.

I see the next episode in the New Year has 'Vile'arie still in it. Gah she`s just so OTT and cringeworthy. I wish she`d leave for good. If the writers pair her up with Barry I`m going to stop watching.
    >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wavlovr wrote: »
    Emma was telling someone that Daniel went back to Australia to help out Zara with Joe because he`s still recovering from the measles.

Thanks. I missed that bit. It's chicken pox that he's got. He won't be still poorly so I don't know why she would need help. Joe just wouldn't be able to fly because he'll still be infectious to others until the spots have dried up.

My son went down with chicken pox about 10 days after we arrived in South Africa years ago. The incubation period is about 10 days, so I think he must have caught it from another child at the airport. He had it really mildly - just a few spots on his back - so we weren't even sure it was chicken pox, then a few days later our daughter went down with it and you could see the spots emerging. Poor girl was covered from head to toe.
    wavlovr wrote: »
    I see the next episode in the New Year has 'Vile'arie still in it. Gah she`s just so OTT and cringeworthy. I wish she`d leave for good. If the writers pair her up with Barry I`m going to stop watching.
    >:(

I have to make an admission here, and say that I don't mind her quite so much this time around :blush:
This discussion has been closed.