Apple TV? WD Live Hub? etc etc

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone advise on what is best to "turn" my tv into a Smart tv so i can watch online stuff eg Netflix etc.

I've done a bit of research and although it's helped i'm still not sure what to go for in terms of ease and value for money.

Cheers.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a laptop or PC with either a DVI or HDMI output on it? If you do then one thing you can do as a test is to hook up the laptop/PC to the TV and try streaming via that.

It may not be as convenient as an Apple TV or similar device but it will at least let you know if your internet connection is up to the job of streaming, especially HD material. Probably better to test it now rather than spend what could be a substantial wedge only to discover you can't stream content without it constantly breaking up or buffering!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you have a laptop or PC with either a DVI or HDMI output on it? If you do then one thing you can do as a test is to hook up the laptop/PC to the TV and try streaming via that.

It may not be as convenient as an Apple TV or similar device but it will at least let you know if your internet connection is up to the job of streaming, especially HD material. Probably better to test it now rather than spend what could be a substantial wedge only to discover you can't stream content without it constantly breaking up or buffering!

Very easy to check how fast your connection is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on what is best to "turn" my tv into a Smart tv so i can watch online stuff eg Netflix etc.

I've done a bit of research and although it's helped i'm still not sure what to go for in terms of ease and value for money.

Cheers.

I bought a second hand Xbox 360 for a ton last year. Must be some bargains around the place.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very easy to check how fast your connection is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
    But no substitute for actually streaming a few videos though.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connection brilliant. The first in the area to go fibre optic last year - made a massive difference.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would only recommend a Apple TV if you have a iPhone or iPad. As a stand alone device the Apple TV doesn't do much.
    A good way to make your tv smart is a bluray player. I have the LG bd660 and it supports many online streaming services Netflix, lovefilm, iplayer youtube and a few more. And it plays every video format I've thrown at it. Game consoles are good also but have louder fans and can be annoying which is why I prefer my bluray player cos it's as good as silent.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I would only recommend a Apple TV if you have a iPhone or iPad. As a stand alone device the Apple TV doesn't do much.
    A good way to make your tv smart is a bluray player. I have the LG bd660 and it supports many online streaming services Netflix, lovefilm, iplayer youtube and a few more. And it plays every video format I've thrown at it. Game consoles are good also but have louder fans and can be annoying which is why I prefer my bluray player cos it's as good as silent.

Aye, that's a real downside. The Xbox fan is way to loud for the living room, so its relegated to the games room with the noisy kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »

I have LG Blu-ray player HB405SU and I've checked loads of time for Netflix, done updates when they're their but all it has is YouTube, Picasso and AccuWeather.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    I have LG Blu-ray player HB405SU and I've checked loads of time for Netflix, done updates when they're their but all it has is YouTube, Picasso and AccuWeather.

unfortunately that bluray player is a couple of years old and is unlikely to get any new updates to add extra features. Bluray makers rarely add new features to a player once it a few months old.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Did you consider trying the Apple TV 3rd Generation, now with iCloud and some new interesting features. It is a bit expensive but in is on sale in tech stores quite often.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stilian wrote: »
    Did you consider trying the Apple TV 3rd Generation, now with iCloud and some new interesting features. It is a bit expensive but in is on sale in tech stores quite often.

I'll read up on it, cheers
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much you looking to spend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more then maybe £150