What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I read a kindle!

I have Kindle but like the real page turners:)
  • Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven Gerrard's first autobiography, Liverpool FC legend.

Had the book but puppy destroyed it so reading it on my iPhone 5s instead now!
  • FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri it was shortlisted for the booker prize last yr and is up for womens fiction writer this yr.
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/jhumpa+lahiri/the+lowland/9580108/

just read some as i cant sleep;
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and have N0S4R2 by Joe Hill and 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup lined up on my kindle.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None at the moment but I'm about to read Gone Girl. Hope it's good.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I've just finished reading Pet Sematary by Stephen King.

I'll be reading his first novel, Carrie, next.

The man is a genius. That's all I can say.

I'm halfway through Carrie at the moment, for about the 5th time. love Stephen King. My favourite is The Stand.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't this be in the Books forum?
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain - I have never read a bad book by Diane Chamberlain and this one seems as though it's going to be particularly good :)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    I am reading "Mods - The New Religion" the best book ever written on the Mod culture.

I spoke to the author some years ago, and sent him some photo's and talked about what I wore all those years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he included two of my photo's as a Teddy Boy and Mod in the book, as well as my reminiscing about those long gone days when teenagers had real style. :)
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.

Have meant to read it for years - only just got round to it. It's OK.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, follow up to The Shining. Abra is his best character in many years.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Just finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series for the second time and now currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, The Sun Hasn't Fallen From the Sky by Alison Gangel, and listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

The Sun Hasn't Fallen From the Sky is my current favourite and perhaps one of my all time favourites, which is surprising as Sci-Fi is my go to genre and I've always dismissed the "tragic lives" genre as rather morbid.
    Forum Member

I'll be reading his first novel, Carrie, next.

I love Stephen King but I wasn't keen on Carrie. That's perhaps due to the style; if you weren't aware, the narrative is told in the form of newspaper excerpts and the like.

I've had to have a bit of a break from him at the moment as in the last few months I've reread the Dark Tower series along with a few other related novels and stories. I've usually got one of his on the go in one format or another.
    Forum Member
    Pet Sematary is seriously dark! :o There are times when King really goes for it, and that's one of them...

My favourite of his is IT. Never has a book sent such chills... when you have to look up and around the room just to make sure nothing is there, or at the window looking in...:(:o King at his very best.
    That was Salem's Lot for me (though admittedly I've yet to tackle IT).
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Look To Windward by Iain M Banks. His imagination is incredible. Next on the list is Hugh Howey's Wool trilogy.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    The tenant of Wildfell Hall.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Stephen King, except when he does horror.

Which means there aren't that many of his books I can read! (23.11.63 and The Green Mile, for example).
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a modern horror writer you could recommend?

I've not read anything by any of the up-and-coming authors and it would be interesting to compare their styles with the likes of King.

May I suggest Joe Hill? I've read both Heart Shaped Box and Horns and he could definitely be the new SK!! ;-)

chaff wrote: »
    Just finished Look To Windward by Iain M Banks. His imagination is incredible. Next on the list is Hugh Howey's Wool trilogy.

I've only recently discovered Iain Banks/Iain M. Banks, I was aware of him but for some reason never got round to reading any of his books.
    In the last month I've tore my way through Consider Phlebas, The Crow Road, The Player of Games, Use of Weapons and I'm currently about halfway through Excession.
    I feel bad about only realising his greatness after he's gone. :(
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/028307177X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397744187&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Essential reading for anyone who followed the indie music scene from '85 through the nineties. McGee's upbringing is grimly compelling too.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor Will See You Now - Max Pemberton
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Ben Hatch's Are We Nearly There Yet?
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call of the Undertow by Linda Cracknell.
    A cartographer moves from Oxford to the north coast of Scotland. She is determined to lead an isolated life, but gradually forms a friendship with a nine year old boy who has developed an interest in making a map of the village.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    None at the moment but I'm about to read Gone Girl. Hope it's good.

It's a page turner but that's all I'm saying :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I'm re reading the Dark Materials trilogy at the moment. I haven't read them for about 7 years. I am only halfway through Northern Lights currently.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mel Sherratt - Watching over you