New bed/mattress advice please?

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
My bed has come to end of it's natural life so I need a new one, and this weekend there are sales on at Dreams so it's the time to buy.

But looking at their website there are so many different styles of mattress and bed that its quite confusing.
I know I should nip down and lay on a few to test, but first to get an idea I was wondering as to which beds/mattresses you good people own and would recommend?

I think i'd like a divan for storage, but should I have a platform divan or sprung divan? Should the mattress be solely pocket sprung, pocket sprung and memory foamed, or solely memory foamed? :confused:

Confusing? You bet! :eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way is to go into a bed shop and try out the beds for yourself. That way you will get an idea of what you like.

If you ask one hundred different people to recommend a mattress you will get one hundred different answers. Nobody can recommend the right mattress for YOU.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buy what works for you. Just testing a bed does not give a true answer either as over time beds change. Some get more comfortable and some get less comfortable.

I have an orthopedic bed. It is fantastic and promotes a good night's sleep. I have had it 9 years and I have to turn the mattress every half year or it goes strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got a dreams memory foam mattress, it was probably the second or third most expensive in the shop, but it is Sooooo comfy it has made a massive change to my comfort and sleeping. It was clearly comfy the moment i lay on it in the shop.

It has drawers below - but make sure you check how far your bedside table / drawers go in front of the side of the bed - i can't use 2 of the drawers! Should have gone for short drawers at the head end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    We have a pocket sprung mattress, which after 12 years of use is probably also due for renewal (it does have dips in it now, but still looks good other than that). I'm actually thinking of getting mattress topper (something soft and along these lines), rather than a whole new mattress - just to extend it's life by another few years.

Problem is, buying a new mattress is such a big deal as they are so expensive. But I find they all feel pretty comfortable in the shop, but wouldn't know which would actually be best for a whole nights sleep. You do hear horror stories of people spending a fortune and then find they just overheat and sweat buckets in bed, ultimately really regretting the choice they made. I couldn't think of anything worse.

Maybe best to just go with what you are used to!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that trying the mattresses out in the shop is vital, if like us, you like a nice firm mattress. Ours are always orthopaedic. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about whether memory foam mattresses were too hot - may be worth checking that out. It seems that some people find them very hot and some people don't.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    memory foam all the way
  • Bhoy1888Bhoy1888 Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should try and buy a green mattress as they tend to be the most comfortable ones
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My bed has come to end of it's natural life so I need a new one, and this weekend there are sales on at Dreams so it's the time to buy.

But looking at their website there are so many different styles of mattress and bed that its quite confusing.
    I know I should nip down and lay on a few to test, but first to get an idea I was wondering as to which beds/mattresses you good people own and would recommend?

I think i'd like a divan for storage, but should I have a platform divan or sprung divan? Should the mattress be solely pocket sprung, pocket sprung and memory foamed, or solely memory foamed? :confused:

Confusing? You bet! :eek:

The bed is largely irrelevant, the mattress is key.

I would recommend a sturdy wooden frame variety, where you can jam the duvet/covers under the bottom - hate with a passion feet poking out of the bottom.

Mattress - one of the (Silentnight?) memory foam topped ones that they sell in Dreams at about £500 a pop is hignly recommended. They also have a 10 year non-sag warranty on them.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just bought a three layer memory foam mattress, no springs. I'm bed ridden - due to the size of my abode rather than illness :D so they usually don't last that long, even the expensive 'firm' one I bought last time ended up killing my back.

After a couple of days on foam my back has stopped aching, it does feel like you are sleeping on a marshmallow though compared with a sprung mattress but it does seem to support your body's nooks and crannies.

For someone who just uses their bed to sleep in they should be superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get the biggest bed you can fit in your room

we got a superking and it means we can both splay out and have plenty of room

I am a fmmr mattress man, the memory foam was too soft for me. I felt like I was sinking in to the mattress and it was not a nice experience for me. But as someone already said, you need to lie on them to see what is comfortable for you.

I believe dreams have a 14 night return policy so if it doesn't suit you, you can take it back
  • elizadooolittleelizadooolittle Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a memory foam mattress and i love it. it's like sleeping on a cloud. but, like someone else said, you can't pick a mattress without trying them out first. having said that, the first few times i slept on the memory foam i thought it was a bit soft but then i got used to it and now i wouldn't want anything else.
    Forum Member
    get the biggest bed you can fit in your room

we got a superking and it means we can both splay out and have plenty of room

I am a fmmr mattress man, the memory foam was too soft for me. I felt like I was sinking in to the mattress and it was not a nice experience for me. But as someone already said, you need to lie on them to see what is comfortable for you.

I believe dreams have a 14 night return policy so if it doesn't suit you, you can take it back

Our Memory Foam mattress is firmer and less bouncy than a sprung one. Just has a few nights away, and you really notice the difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like being hot in bed (oo-er), avoid memory foam.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be not to rush into buying a bed in order to save a few quid.
    You spend a lot of time in bed. It can be a really enjoyable experience and it can also be a bloody nightmare.

Since I'm relatively tall and suffer from lower back problems I went out years ago and bought the firmest bed I could find. It was fairly expensive, unknown name which I think no longer exists.

I had it for a few years and if anything the back problem became worse to the extent that I could no longer sleep on my back.

It wasn't until I finally ditched it and bought a Seally mattress with an integrated latex topper that I realised what a huge mistake I'd made. The first night was bliss, the mattress supports every part of my body whereas my previous one had created pressure points.
    My back now feels a lot better and I can sleep on my back again.

Furniture Village also have quite a wide range of beds you can try out.

When you know which one you want have a look on the Argos site as they have a wide range and do some good deals.
    Forum Member
    bubbsy wrote: »
    If you don't like being hot in bed (oo-er), avoid memory foam.

No real problem with ours, though in the summer we normally have a large floor-standing fan on overnight, more due to the ambient heat in the room.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, my new memory foam mattress seems to be remembering my fat arse a little too well. :D

Still better than a spring one, enough foam underneath to support me. Backache from the previous one is subsiding nicely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the salesperson has any sense they'll ask you for enough info to be able to narrow the choice down to 3 or 4 beds. Spend as long as you can trying each one & lie down properly, changing position as you would in your sleep. If you're worried about not liking it, order the bed you have chosen online, you have a statutory 14-day period to reject the goods under distance selling regulations.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi, which beds/mattresses you good people own and would recommend?

But you must try them, check the prices etc. to see what suits you

This is like asking people on the forum what sort of trousers you should wear!

ps - actually as an afterthought, scrap my previous comment - one thing you might check up on - when we bought our last but 1 or 2 mattress the current thinking was that an 'orthopaedic' mattress (and they came in varying degrees of hardness) was 'best' for you and although more expensive was the way to go.

Now I hear that thinking has changed and a cheaper softer mattress is just as good.

You might want to research that ?
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    Buy what works for you. Just testing a bed does not give a true answer either as over time beds change. Some get more comfortable and some get less comfortable.

I have an orthopedic bed. It is fantastic and promotes a good night's sleep. I have had it 9 years and I have to turn the mattress every half year or it goes strange.

As you say its an almost impossible thing. Going to a shop and trying them for a few seconds does nothing really other then telling you whether its a firm mattress of a soft one as it will give you no idea at all if it will be comfortable for several hours
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    But you must try them, check the prices etc. to see what suits you

This is like asking people on the forum what sort of trousers you should wear!

ps - actually as an afterthought, scrap my previous comment - one thing you might check up on - when we bought our last but 1 or 2 mattress the current thinking was that an 'orthopaedic' mattress (and they came in varying degrees of hardness) was 'best' for you and although more expensive was the way to go.

Now I hear that thinking has changed and a cheaper softer mattress is just as good.

You might want to research that ?

Depends what they mean by soft. A matress should really support your body which means it should be as hard as it can be whilst still being comfortable for you

I agree that they dont need to be orthopaedic thats usualy just an excuse to charge a lot of money for them.
    Forum Member
    If the salesperson has any sense they'll ask you for enough info to be able to narrow the choice down to 3 or 4 beds. Spend as long as you can trying each one & lie down properly, changing position as you would in your sleep. If you're worried about not liking it, order the bed you have chosen online, you have a statutory 14-day period to reject the goods under distance selling regulations.

7 Day.
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »
    As you say its an almost impossible thing. Going to a shop and trying them for a few seconds does nothing really other then telling you whether its a firm mattress of a soft one as it will give you no idea at all if it will be comfortable for several hours

if you want a dirt cheap option, Netto's are banging oiut Memory foam Mattress toppers from Monday @ £20, £30 and £40 a pop size depending.

http://www.netto.co.uk/internet/nettog/menu/main.nsf