Options

Pet Shop Boys Feat. Dusty Springfield - What Have I Done To Deserve This

LMLM Posts: 63,505
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9E5i7l-Eg

Anyone else like this song?

Such a tune and i am not really a fan of The Pet Shop Boys. It features the late and legendary Dusty who at the time scored a big comeback with this song which would sadly be her last.

Comments

• Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nowhere near her last - she released another album 8 years after WHIDTDT in 1995 and also had a further 3 Top 40 hit singles including the sublime 'Nothing Has Been Proved' which was another PSB song.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    ...and also had a further 3 Top 40 hit singles including the sublime 'Nothing Has Been Proved' which was another PSB song.

...as was the superb 'In Private'.
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PSB and Dusty together were pure gold.

What Have I Done to Deserve This was criminally denied no 1 on both sides of the Atlantic. One of the top songs ever.

Great thread
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great song and I love the lyrics.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    It was nowhere near her last - she released another album 8 years after WHIDTDT in 1995 and also had a further 3 Top 40 hit singles including the sublime 'Nothing Has Been Proved' which was another PSB song.

I am very well aware of what happened afterwards (I am a Dusty fan afterall) but i meant this was her last hit, actually.
  • Options
    AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I am very well aware of what happened afterwards (I am a Dusty fan afterall) but i meant this was her last hit, actually.

But it wasn't her last hit.

Just admit you messed up, don't compound it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably my favourite PSB track, and I love Dusty, such a fantastic voice,
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a travesty that it was denied the UK #1 spot by Rick Astley :(
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is one of the PSB's best. With Dusty's unmistakeable vocals, it's an amazing combination. One of the best songs of the 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKindSoul wrote: »
    But it wasn't her last hit.

Just admit you messed up, don't compound it!

It was

Don't be rude

But then again i don't take people with such low post count too seriously. Come back when your near my figure or higher and then try and give me a gobful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    WHIDTDT is possibly one of my least favourite psb songs from that era and I'm really not sure as to why. :confused:

However I do love the other Dusty psb collaborations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    It was

Don't be rude

But then again i don't take people with such low post count too seriously. Come back when your near my figure or higher and then try and give me a gobful.

Low post count should have nothing to do with it.

After WHIDTDT Dusty had two hits in 1989, with Nothing Has Been Proved (16) and In Private (14). Reputation was also a single in 1990 and reached number 38.
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great song from a great album, aint heard it for a long time though had it in my school years.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PSB and Dusty together were pure gold.

What Have I Done to Deserve This was criminally denied no 1 on both sides of the Atlantic. One of the top songs ever.

Great thread

Agreed 100%:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was

Don't be rude

It was not Dusty's last hit as has already been pointed out to you. "In Private" and "Nothing Has Been Proved" were both Top 20 hits for her in 1989.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Dusty's colloberation with the PSB I thought 'Nothing has been Proved' was a marvellous track...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZip7Y_IDqQ
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    my fave Dusty song
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love this track, I love PSB and I love Dusty :D I saw them live a couple of years back and they performed it with a Dusty backdrop. It was pretty amazing and she got massive cheers.

And yeah, this was not her last hit OP. In Private (another brilliant track!) and Nothing Has Been Proved were both released a couple of years after WHIDTDT - along with the album 'Reputation'. You're wrong :p
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this song,was the 1st cassette single i ever bought and drove my mum mad by playing it over and over the next day.It had the 7 inch version,A New Life and a long disco mix with the voice of an aeroplane landing at the beginning of it.I think this version also appeared on the 2 disc version of Actually a few years later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a icon of the 80s mixing two legendary artists together from two different eras. It shouldn't have worked - 60's soulful diva meets 80's electropop duo - but it did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Top tune and still with-stands the test of time..One of their better tunes.
  • Options
    DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love all he three songs mentioned, yet I never could, and still cant get past that it should be 'Nothing has been PROVEN' - unless she was baking a loaf of course! :-) but grrrr...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

I'd say In Private was the best collaboration with the PSB. Best solo Dusty Springfield song would be Goin' Back.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great song and there other two singles produced by them for her were great too. they have had some amazing collaborations over the years, loved the liza minnelli tracks, losing my mind/love pains especially.

that period in the 80s was their peak for me, i really liked everything up to `so hard`. after that there have been some gems, but generally their 80`s music was the best.