Options

So much gas!

stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..This thread is nothing to do with flatulence.

Earlier today, my flatmate went to put £20 on the card for our Gas meter (we're on a pay as you go type thing).

When we came home and put the card in the meter, there was £268 on it?! No idea how that happened but he has the receipt and was only charged £20!

Obviously pretty chuffed that this had somehow happened as it means not having to buy Gas for a few months.. But I was just wondering if there's any way at all this can somehow be discovered/ traced eventually?

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the Gas company. Either you're taking advantage of Gas you're not entitled to or the company have given you a nice little Christmas present of 3000% extra heating. ;)
  • Options
    adam2904adam2904 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Your house is going to blow up
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be possible, yes. Your meter probably registers how much has gone through it and the card number. In your position I would talk to whoever you bought the card off or the gas company. If you use more than £20 you need to pay for it else it's theft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    It might be possible, yes. Your meter probably registers how much has gone through it and the card number. In your position I would talk to whoever you bought the card off or the gas company. If you use more than £20 you need to pay for it else it's theft.

^^^This - you don't want to start off the new year in a bad way! There's nowt for free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write a letter to the gas company, send recorded delivery.

Continue using the card/gas in your normal manner. Putting away the usual amount of money every month, maybe in a savings account etc. when the card runs out, buy more credit in the usual manner.

You have notified the company and are well within your rights to continue using gas to run your household. It's now upto them to rectify the mistake. Just make sure you don't get tempted to spend the money!