Claiming a tax rebate without a P45

stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,
I'll try and keep this brief...
As you obviously all know we're nearing the end of the tax year and, as such, I am looking to claim back a tax rebate as I'm sure I've been overtaxed at points.
Now I know you need P45s to do this usually but I do a lot of promo work and so have worked for a lot of different companies over the course of the year, with no idea how many P45s i've received, if any at all.
I understand that employers should also supply a P60 at the end of the tax year but I'm not too sure if this will be sent in the post or if I need to contact them about this? I obviously wouldn't be able to do this as I can't remember every single employer I've had through the year.
Does anyone have any experience of getting a rebate without a P45 or P60? Would be a great help.

Comments

• RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all of your employers used PAYE then HMRC should already have all the information they need to assess your total income and tax payments for the year. With PAYE you will automatically get your ongoing tax payments adjusted as the year goes on, with the goal that you have paid the correct amount of tax at the end of the year providing you have provided all of your P45s (or a P46 in its place) to new employers when starting with them.

For example, I started a new job a couple of months ago after a couple of months out of work, and I got my tax adjustment applied this month (I get paid mid-month), meaning I have now paid the correct tax amount for the year and I won't need to claim / wait for a refund.

There's more information here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/refund-reclaim.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont know how it all works, i seem to get a tax rebate automatically whenever im due one, never had any trouble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that companies that hire lots of different staff, often casual staff and only for short periods of time, have a tendency to forget to provide info to HMRC in a timely manner and often need to be chased up.

The best thing to do, OP, is to phone HMRC and actually ask them to go through all of your the employments they have a record of for whichever tax year you are concerned about. Then they can also tell you which employments they received a P45 Part 1 for. That will leave you with a list of employments that they do not have the P45 details for (assuming that there are any). Then it will be up to you to track down these former employers and request the P45 details from them and forward it onto the tax office.

In future I would recommend keeping track of your employers, keep all your payslips and P45's - and request a P45 if you are not given one automatically :) If HMRC ever have an employment that you worked at and they don't have the details from the employer and you are then unable to provide them with those details (in the form of a P45 or a P60) then you may not be able to get a tax rebate because they won't have complete details of your income from that year.
  • NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I phoned up about the same issue earlier this week and was told I must supply a P45 with the relevant form. They wouldn't entertain it otherwise. Although my situation was more straightforward (only claiming from 1 period of employment, with 1 employer!)
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,
    I'll try and keep this brief...
    As you obviously all know we're nearing the end of the tax year and, as such, I am looking to claim back a tax rebate as I'm sure I've been overtaxed at points.
    Now I know you need P45s to do this usually but I do a lot of promo work and so have worked for a lot of different companies over the course of the year, with no idea how many P45s i've received, if any at all.
    I understand that employers should also supply a P60 at the end of the tax year but I'm not too sure if this will be sent in the post or if I need to contact them about this? I obviously wouldn't be able to do this as I can't remember every single employer I've had through the year.
    Does anyone have any experience of getting a rebate without a P45 or P60? Would be a great help.

If you have had so many employers in a year that you can't remember them, it sounds like you ought to be self-employed. Your most recent employer is the one that will send your P60 but you also should get your P45 from them too.