Options

Abercrombie and Fitch CEO says their clothes are not for "Fat" or "unpopular" people

1235»

Comments

• Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Or possibly parents who choose not to buy into the Primark , lets make your teenager look like a ****. Or indeed Nulook. They sell sex to teens like hot potatoes, but it's cheap so ok.

Whereas having half naked staff doesn't sell sex at all :rolleyes:

I've never shopped at A&F, but I've just had a look at the website and they have lots of cropped tops, see-through blouses, corset tops etc - yeah nothing sexy about those at all. Or maybe they're not sexy, if they cost ridiculous prices.

Doesn't matter where you shop, if you choose to look like a tart, then you will, if you choose not to, you won't. Albeit, if you're wearing an A&F corset, you might look like a rich slapper, not a poor one!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    There's so much bilge I can throw at this guy. Like how A&F clothes aren't all that inspiring in of themselves. They are like Tommy Hilfiger... Very bland, very "a weekend at the Hamptons with mama and papa" if you get my drift. But all I have got to say about this guy is this link:

http://www.thestreet.com/gallery/tsc-highest-paid-retail-ceos/2/photo-michael-jeffries.html

Yes that is what he looks like. End of. Good evening all. ;)

He's having a flaming laugh! He's not exactly handsome either. He's giving people loads of ammunition to launch insults at him.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone has probably already said this, but their female clothing actually goes up to a UK size 14.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    UKNikey wrote: »
    You have to be super fit lookin to even get past the interview to work the shop.

Rad idea really unless you have issues. ;)

Think of a few heavy posters on here who wouldn't get the gig ;) Tooooo many Doh-NUts. :D:D

Rad?

I doubt they would even look at you for an interview anyway...
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the clothes as the cut suits me but I do find his comments to be pretty pathetic.. Especially since he has had all that surgery on his face. He looks like a troll doll that's been left near a 3 bar fire. I don't particularly like their attitude when it comes to staffing only beautiful people. I was in Florida the other week and when I went in to the store to buy a top, the sole guy working in there (only 2 staff) walked around like he was God's gift. I hate that arrogance. I think it's awful what they did to the girl who had one arm. I rarely shop in there now. That top in Florida was the first time in 18 months that I bought something there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Rad?

I doubt they would even look at you for an interview anyway...

Blob blob blob.

Bet I would if wanted it. I'm soooooooooooooo HP with my shape right now.

Got a fab portfolio. :cool: Not for your eyes daddy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blob blob blob.

Bet I would if wanted it. I'm soooooooooooooo HP with my shape right now.

Got a fab portfolio. :cool: Not for your eyes daddy.

HP?

Bet your howling in real life :D
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very, very clever man.

The most important thing in a teenager's life is social acceptance and popularity. Rightly or wrongly, the majority crave this.

He is basically selling the idea that you can have this with his clothes. Therefore every kid will crave his clothes.

Very clever fella.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    HP?

Bet your howling in real life :D

You're creepin me out now. :eek:

Alert Alert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're creepin me out now. :eek:

Alert Alert

Yep, i think that went way over your head :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I really dislike elitism and this kind of message is damaging to young teenagers who might already have self esteem issues. And I would hope that a lot of so called cool kids would prefer to shop where people aren't so discriminated against. What kind of message does it send out to the world now, if a young pretty girl is wearing that brand? Basically it appears to say I'm better than you, cooler than you, thinner than you. I can shop there and you can't. I think any girl worth her salt would not want to be branded in that way.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it difficult to get overly worked up about this.

This guy has just given A&F the best media coverage it could ever hope for. I'd say he's put in his day's work, and earned whatever salary that he's getting.

I find his comments to be more amusing that anything else.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I really dislike elitism and this kind of message is damaging to young teenagers who might already have self esteem issues. And I would hope that a lot of so called cool kids would prefer to shop where people aren't so discriminated against. What kind of message does it send out to the world now, if a young pretty girl is wearing that brand? Basically it appears to say I'm better than you, cooler than you, thinner than you. I can shop there and you can't. I think any girl worth her salt would not want to be branded in that way.

I think you might have a lot to learn about teenagers.:p

A lot of them are total brand tarts and look to brands to send out precisely those messages. What is branding if it's not about elitism?
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member

I think you don't really understand marketing as well as teenagers.

They ARE saying "I'm better than you, cooler than you, thinner than you" - that is the exact message they are aiming to put out, and you know what? Whether you like or agree with it or not, it does work. A&F get the kind of people they aim at shopping in their stores, and they employ people they think project those values.

You might not like it personally but it works for them as is evidenced by their stores being continually busy, their expansion around the world, and the amount of people seen carrying their bags and wearing their garments.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I'm finding it difficult to get overly worked up about this.

This guy has just given A&F the best media coverage it could ever hope for. I'd say he's put in his day's work, and earned whatever salary that he's getting.

I find his comments to be more amusing that anything else.

One wonders why they didn't keep Gerald Ratner. After all, he did the same thing (got his company all the media coverage they could have wanted).
    Might be because he wiped half a billion quid off his company's value.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    One wonders why they didn't keep Gerald Ratner. After all, he did the same thing (got his company all the media coverage they could have wanted).
    Might be because he wiped half a billion quid off his company's value.

Because Gerald Ratner said his products were crap.

Whatshisface from Abercrombie & Fitch has not said his products are crap. In fact he has said basically the opposite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    According to this... The CEO is a little bit more kookoo then we thought Lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgRjNwILP00

If not completely kookoo, he's certainly a complete arse
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    I am definitely doing it, making flyers with my dad and granddad on them wearing A&F clothes and sending them out.

:eek::D Do it!!!