Options

Windows xp not loading

Have being removing viruses and spware from a 10 year old XP Dell Latitude and unwanted programs it has decided to give a screen on bootup similar to this.

Nothing to click on, have to hard reset ... same in safe mode.

Ideas please ( apart from its XP so throw it away)

Edit: last known good configuration returns the same xp logo in the centre of the screen.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you thought checking it has a recovery partition and just doing a factory restore?
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately its old and does not have a recovery partition.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Ensure you've removed any USB sticks or external drives. On some machines they can cause various booting hangs and errors.

Fixing an old, slow, cluttered, malware-ridden machine is time consuming enough as it is. Add in a non-booting problem and it turns into a potentially nightmare task. Even if you get XP to boot, the underlying cause might still be there and it could happen again the next time you shut down. So... if you have the COA and XP disk, go for a clean install instead. Any necessary drivers should be available on the Dell site.

Depending on the user and their requirements, a machine like this might be an ideal candidate for a lightweight Linux distro. If everything the user does is within a browser, it's worth considering. But if they expect you to teach them to use Linux and install a bunch of additional software and hardware, it's not worth the hassle. (This is assuming you're fixing the machine for someone else).
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck the drive into a usb caddy and recover anything of importance then just get hold of a dell xp cd and reinstall, the problem is that when its a machine with so many viruses etc its probably too abused to fix unless you fancy it as a pet project for a laugh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks.
    I tried to create an image of the hard drive with Acronis but it failed, possibly due to bad sectors .... even though I had already run chkdsk on it.
    I have copied photos etc and am now half way through installing a fresh copy of XP Pro from a disk I have ...... looks to be going ok just a bit worried about any bad sectors on the hard drive ... fingers crossed.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I tried to create an image of the hard drive with Acronis but it failed, possibly due to bad sectors .... even though I had already run chkdsk on it.
    I have copied photos etc and am now half way through installing a fresh copy of XP Pro from a disk I have ...... looks to be going ok just a bit worried about any bad sectors on the hard drive ... fingers crossed.

Good luck with that and l hope things work out for you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well yes and no ..... XP installed fine, the service tag worked and I downloaded the ethernet driver which got IE6 working .... for a while but now it won't connect or repair. The laptop (Dell Latitude D600) is 20 times faster opening programs than it was, to be expected as its empty and no virus problems.

I've downloaded SP3 put on a flash drive and its now about half way through installing .... the Dell XP Pro disk I had was SP2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SP3 downloaded OK and its now installing 135 updates.

Edit: SP3 fixed the internet problem.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    SP3 downloaded OK and its now installing 135 updates.

Edit: SP3 fixed the internet problem.

As a future precautionary measure, what you could consider doing is downloading the SP3 pack http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=25129 and burning it on to a disc with ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/ which saves a shed load of time and downloads if things need to be reinstalled again (hopefully won't ever be required though).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All went well and the laptop has been handed back up to date (as it will ever be on XP) and it is running nicely enough with just 1GB RAM.
    The most disappointing thing about the laptop is it's wireless card which only runs at 11Mbps, I plugged a wireless adapter in which ran at 72Mbps and effectively gave it two and a half times better a result on a speed test.

Anyway glad to be rid of it, long hours spent.