Dog Attack

TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
Forum Member
I'm hoping some wise person on DS can advise me.

Just got back from the vets with my poor little cat who has been mauled by a neighbour's dog. This guy (and his teenage sons) are in the habit of taking their dog out with no lead.

I heard a commotion by the front door but by the time I got it open the gutless wonder had legged it back to his house, leaving his dog to it and me to get the dog off my cat.

He's had his leg bandaged up, painkilers and antibiotics and been on a drip for an hour.

I've just been round to the neighbour's to have words but no-one would answer the door (I know they were in).

When I catch up with the guy, and I will, I will be offering him the opportunity to pay the vet\s bill. If he refuses, does anyone know if I have any comeback? If the dog had bitten a child the police would be all over it like a rash, but will they do anything as it's a cat? I was under the impression dog owners were obliged to keep their animals under proper control when out, in a residential street at any rate. :mad::mad::mad:

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the dangerous dog act all dog owners are responsible for control of their dog in a public place:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/dangerous/

Have a read at the above, it maybe you could claim the vets bill against these people, give it a try
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have owned several dogs in the past and always kept them under control. I would have been mortified if they'd attacked another animal and would have paid the vet bills at once.

Unfortunately aggression towards other animals is not the same as being aggressive towards people.
  • TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Thanks both, it's not so much the money as this bloke and his family not taking responsibilty for their dog.

I should maybe mention this happened before about 3 tears ago. Same cat of mine, same dog and same irresponsible a-hole of an owner. That was a bit more serious and my cat was in the vet's on a drip for a week, poor little man. At the time I didn't know whose dog it was as the guy did the same disappearing act. I have since seen him with the dog so I know it's his. My cat is quite elderly and can't run as fast / jump as well as he used to.

Thanks for the link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How awful for you and your cat. Is she ok. The next door neighbour does the same with his dog and smirks when the dog runs after my cat. The other day the dog with both his owners not on lead did the same and ran after my neighbours cat my neighbour would have done her nut if she had seen it. Luckly he didnt harm it and i dont know if she would but its not the point the dog should have been on a lead.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Maisey, he's had some strong painkillers but he's just gone in his bed and not interested in any food tonight. I have to take him back tomorrow so they can check his leg again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat kado was attacked by a cross bread dog once. This poor dog had 3 homes in 4 days. He escaped from a friends car and cornered him next to a fence. I screamed the place down. Luckly the downstairs neighbour patio was open so i just grabbed him and threw him in there. The dog was caught and the owner did appoligise. In the process of grabbing Kado he scratched my hand to bits and bit my arm but i didnt care. I had to get my OH to get him from the flat as he wouldnt come too me. He came in and stayed on the top of the units and didnt come down for days. He will be shocked i am sure. A bit of TLC from you will be ok. I should have asked how are you.
    Forum Member
    I'm OK thanks, stopped shaking now. I had to hit the dog hard a lot of times to make it let go which wasn't nice. I like dogs and wouldn't dream of hitting one normally, but you do what you have to, don't you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have done the same.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont stand for it. I put apost on the thread 'Do dogs go for cats' detailing how my friends elderly cat was savaged to death a couple of weeks ago. My friend has had to be supportive of the lady that witnessed the attack, who was in shock. Shes also had to deal with the partner of the owner of the dog, who's gone on the defensive (guilt) and all she wants to do is be left alone to grieve for her cat.
    Forum Member
    That's awful, poor cat and your poor friend. I know dogs are dogs and many of them will chase cats given the chance, but I believe the owners have a duty to control them. I don't blame this dog near me, but I won't let the owners get away with this without a fight.

Mind you, they're a bit, ahem, 'undesirable' so I hope they don't come and put my windows out or key my car or something :eek:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's awful, poor cat and your poor friend. I know dogs are dogs and many of them will chase cats given the chance, but I believe the owners have a duty to control them. I don't blame this dog near me, but I won't let the owners get away with this without a fight.

Mind you, they're a bit, ahem, 'undesirable' so I hope they don't come and put my windows out or key my car or something :eek:

Theres something about aggressive dogs, they tend to go hand in hand with aggressive owners....:confused::eek: Best of luck!