BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    & in other news.. .no fan of Phil Williams at all but he was excellent having a go at that hate preacher/lawyer/leader whatever he is.. on this mornings Sunday breakfast tackling him at each turn & making him sound like the dolt he is refusing to answer if he lived on benefits while raging against the state that's subsidising him....no credit where due he did well on that one
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this article on AVK, the man who said Do as I say, but not as I do....unless you happen to be Victoria Derbyshire. Then you can do what you like.. And the interviewer? :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/20/bbc-victoria-derbyshire-adrian-van-klaveren
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really couldn't make it up.

What a despicable hypocrite she is
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 5 Live schedule implies the strike isn't going to cause any disruption from when breakfast begins.
    There's no pretence, as demonstrated by Lone Drinker's weekly spreadsheet of attendance.

That spreadsheet wouldn't be possible without a webcam, so it's only down to the BBC's approaches to modern technology that we know from where Victoria Derbyshire presents her show.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd listen to the last hour of Nolan, But its some guy talking about bloody opera.:rolleyes::(

has this go something to do with the strike, some people are talking about on this thread ? :confused:
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd listen to the last hour of Nolan, But its some guy talking about bloody opera.:rolleyes::(

has this go something to do with the strike, some people are talking about on this thread ? :confused:
    I've just listened in on the iPlayer and yup, it's still someone signing away. It's definitely down to the strike. The programme is called "Men's Hour: Men Who Sing". And it also sounds awful, it sounds like a bunch of pub singers!

There's one good thing to come out of the strike though, at least Dotun isn't on this morning.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I was referring to those posters who make bitchy personal comments about people, and speculate about the terms of their contracts, without actually knowing any of the facts.

There's no point engaging Mapperley, this thread went overboard a long time ago. There's a psychological study to be had in how a thread that started as a reasonable discussion on a radio station a lot of people enjoy turned into a witch-hunt by people who seem incapable of realising the people they are heaping abuse on are human, just like themselves.

That doesn't apply to everyone on this thread, but it applies to a damn lot of them.

There is a dehumanising aspect to the internet which means people don't realise how hurtful some of their comments are. I used to be fairly outspoken some years back and it embarrases me to like back. So you could easily say I have no right to tell others what to do or think. But it frustrates me to see others make the same mistake.
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the change in schedule due to the strike, does that mean that those that are still broadcasting are not sympathetic to the strike or part of a different union ?
    Mickey Clarke managed to do Wake up to the Money on his own. Never understood why they have co- presenters on what is essentially a 20 minute show especially when they always seem to have a studio guest/expert as well
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    With the change in schedule due to the strike, does that mean that those that are still broadcasting are not sympathetic to the strike or part of a different union ?

Ian Payne is not a journalist, he is a freelance, mainly sports presenter, so I guess he isn't really walking over any picket line. I would have though Micky Clark is a journalist, but I don't know the full ins and out of this strike.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5live is absolutely brilliant today !

No pathetic overly loud jingles and trailers and best of all it just shows listeners and licence fee payers ,that there is no need for all these rude, overpaid left wing ego maniac 5live presenters, on a power trip and with their own agenda and their use of a public organisation for propaganda..

Lets them strike more often or better still ...sack the lot of them.

Derbyshire,Campbell,Nolan,Bacon all on the picket line, I presume ? Keep them there full time,it wouldn't bother me.
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5live is absolutely brilliant today !

No pathetic overly loud jingles and trailers and best of all it just shows listeners and licence fee payers ,that there is no need for all these overpaid left wing ego maniac 5live presenters, on a power trip and with an agenda.

Lets them strike more often or better still ...sack the lot of them.

Derbyshire,Campbell,Nolan,Bacon all on the picket line, I presume ? Keep them there full time,it wouldn't bother me.

So the jingle out of the 1004 sport into Rachel Hodges reading more news wasn't "overly loud"? The trail for Bacon at the Brits at 915 wasn't played?

I understand you are probably rejoying that people are losing their jobs, and detest that anyone nowadays dare support a union, but get real. 5 Live is today just a shell service, and you'd the the 1st to moan when they don't/can't react to the next huge news story.

Or do you really not have a heart? You condone job losses? You condone people losing their livelyhoods?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the jingle out of the 1004 sport into Rachel Hodges reading more news wasn't "overly loud"? The trail for Bacon at the Brits at 915 wasn't played?

I understand you are probably rejoying that people are losing their jobs, and detest that anyone nowadays dare support a union, but get real. 5 Live is today just a shell service, and you'd the the 1st to moan when they don't/can't react to the next huge news story.

Or do you really not have a heart? You condone job losses? You condone people losing their livelyhoods?

Oh dear a typical over reaction of someone trying in vain to twist my comments.

Thousands, if not millions of people have lost their jobs through compulsory redundancies in other industries ( I have myself twice) you just get on with life and get another job! Restructuring of a company is part of any business,always has been and always will be. Why do BBC ego maniac journo's/presenters think they are so special ?

As I say i am really enjoying 5live today.Keep up the great work.....Rachel Hodges, Ian Payne and all.I'm not in the least bit complaining .......I am praising the station for its output today.Well done to all concerned.Don't worry your precious egotistical presenters will be back on Tuesday for your own personal enjoyment.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Surprised Mickey Clark is on being a former Evening Standard Journalist.

Curious to see if Shelagh Fogarty is on today as she has crossed picket lines in the past.

You would think the BBC would accept calls by the NUJ to extend consultation on redundancies by six months especially with a new DG starting, a new Director of News to be appointed, a new 5 live controller and the weaknesses in news highlighted by Savile / Newsnight.

Surely the quality of news output is one of the most important justifications for the existence of the BBC and the level of cuts should be reviewed by the the incoming management.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear a typical over reaction of someone trying in vain to twist my comments.

Thousands, if not millions of people have lost their jobs through compulsory redundancies in other industries ( I have myself twice) you just get on with life and get another job! Restructuring of a company is part of any business,always has been and always will be. Why do BBC ego maniac journo's/presenters think they are so special ?

As I say i am really enjoying 5live today.Keep up the great work.....Rachel Hodges, Ian Payne and all.I'm not in the least bit complaining .......I am praising the station for its output today.Well done to all concerned.Don't worry your precious egotistical presenters will be back on Tuesday for your own personal enjoyment.

Oh dear. Showing yourself up here Cyril.

Anyone losing their job is a tragedy. And I'm sorry you have suffered it twice. But, and I'm not twisting your comments, it is coming across that you are condoning sackings, and have no time for unions or union strength. Come back at me any way you like, but that is how you're portraying yourself.

And if you are happy with that, then fine. But I strongly support the right for worker strength and action.

As for 5 Live, whatever my views, your comments are still ludicrous. Will you still be as joyous when they start hitting the recorded programmes later on? How about if this was a 2 day strike? The semi rolling news service they're running this morning wouldn't carry on forever.

And Hodges herself isn't doing herself any favours with the people she will be working with tomorrow. Silly move Rachel. Really really silly.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying Radio 5 today, none of those massive egos around. No Nicky Campbell repeating some crap joke over and over because no one laughed.

Rachel Hodges speaking nicely unlike the wicked witch who shrieks every 30 seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for 5 Live, whatever my views, your comments are still ludicrous. Will you still be as joyous when they start hitting the recorded programmes later on? How about if this was a 2 day strike? The semi rolling news service they're running this morning wouldn't carry on forever.

And Hodges herself isn't doing herself any favours with the people she will be working with tomorrow. Silly move Rachel. Really really silly.

I think you will find that Rachel Hodges has worked on 5live before when the ' ego's ' have gone on strike.Rather than being ' silly ' as always she is doing a superb job.What do you intend to do burn an effigy of her and Ian Payne for working or threaten them with being sent to Coventry ? You sound like you are living in the dark ages or at least the 1970's . Times change mate, you sound rather angry and unstable because others have a different point of view and choose to work through their own democratic choice.Grow up......... please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find that Rachel Hodges has worked on 5live before when the ' ego's ' have gone on strike.Rather than being ' silly ' as always she is doing a superb job.What do you intend to do burn an effigy of her and Ian Payne for working or threaten them with being sent to Coventry ? You sound like you are living in the dark ages or at least the 1970's . Times change mate, you sound rather angry and unstable because others have a different point of view and choose to work.

And where has it got her? She's still reading news. She will never get her own show. The best she can hope for is cover, perhaps.

Same goes for Chris Rogers, or Gavin Grey, who have covered the BBC news channel. Yes, they pop up now and again in off peak late night slots, but neither will get a regular prime gig.

Those who piss on their colleagues, don't get rewarded. Remember that. As has been shown by Hodges, rogers, grey. And don't get me started on Ian Payne. He has been incredibly lucky.

I've listened to 5 Live between 10 and 11 today, and its been nothing but repeats of interviews from Double Take and Sports week, and a few easy hit interviews from organisations that have put out press releases today. If you're happy with that as a news service, good luck to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you suggesting Rachel will be the subject of a "witch hunt" - or maybe the recipient of "abuse" or even "vile bile"?

Surely not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suggesting Rachel will be the subject of a "witch hunt" - or maybe the recipient of "abuse" or even "vile bile"?

Surely not.

Not at all.

But history shows that presenters who break strikes generally don't get the push they might have been hoping for.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the most idiotic report I've ever heard. Rachel talking to another reporter about how the strikes are effecting schedules - Radio 4 mentioned, BBC News mentioned. But no mention at all that the Five Live schedules are all over the place. And there is Rachel hosting for Queen Vic!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Not at all.

But history shows that presenters who break strikes generally don't get the push they might have been hoping for.

How do you know she's a "strike breaker?" She may be self employed on on a totally different contract to other staff. She may not even be in the union.

It's the NUJ that called the strike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those who piss on their colleagues, don't get rewarded. Remember that. As has been shown by Hodges, rogers, grey. And don't get me started on Ian Payne. He has been incredibly lucky.

If you're happy with that as a news service, good luck to you.

Yes I am more than happy with the service today.

Rather worried than you have added even more names you hate to your effigy burning mentality and which no doubt will be taking to the streets later on and I take it the bonfire ( as in the film The Wicker Man ) is at present being built by your good self ?...........charming person that you are .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am more than happy with the service today.

Rather worried than you have added even more names you hate to your effigy burning mentality and which no doubt will be taking to the streets later on and I take it the bonfire ( as in the film The Wicker Man ) is at present being built by your good self ?...........charming person that you are .

Haha. Love it. Only on DS can someone be branded like that.

Not even gonna rise to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know she's a "strike breaker?" She may be self employed on on a totally different contract to other staff. She may not even be in the union.

It's the NUJ that called the strike.

Staff, contract, freelance. Doesn't matter. Union or not. You support your colleagues.

Just my view.

No idea what deal Hodges has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staff, contract, freelance. Doesn't matter. Union or not. You support your colleagues.
    /QUOTE]

..and if you don't we'll send the boys around.
This discussion has been closed.