BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    On the bright side a new presenter with a nice approach and a personality that comes over well on Drive this week - Charlie Charlton! A real pleasure to listen to her and her jovial approach. Good combination with Tony. 5 Live have done something right to day time listening at at last!
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    On the bright side a new presenter with a nice approach and a personality that comes over well on Drive this week - Charlie Charlton! A real pleasure to listen to her and her jovial approach. Good combination with Tony. 5 Live have done something right to day time listening at at last!

All we need now for perfection, is for her to replace Anna "hahaha" Foster.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest quarter's data now included in www.radiotoday.co.uk/rajar

Lots of red... Five Live needs root and branch treatment to survive. Tinkering is not enough.

(And despite fellow DS contributors' assertions, new "national" LBC is getting lots of green).
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest quarter's data now included in www.radiotoday.co.uk/rajar

Lots of red... Five Live needs root and branch treatment to survive. Tinkering is not enough.

(And despite fellow DS contributors' assertions, new "national" LBC is getting lots of green).
    Looks like 5 Live has never been less listened to, with almost a 50% drop in listeners in the most recent quarter compared to the final quarter of 2010 just 4 and a half years ago. A frequent listener, especially late at night, my listening has almost entirely dried up now. I've certainly found LBC more attractive in the evenings since it became national, along with podcasts which at least guarantee that I have something to listen to that will interest me if the radio doesn't late in the evenings and while lying in bed.

Rhod Sharp remains the one constant worth a listen overnight, and in the coming year his enthusiasm for the US Presidential election will be worth tuning in for. Might not appeal to everyone I guess! Dotun should be fully removed from the overnights permanently as his shows are stale beyond belief and insanely repetitive at weekends. I simply wouldn't waste any of my time on 5 Live in daytime hours whatsoever, unless there was no other news source available and something big had happened.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The istening figures were expected to be worse due to the end of the football season.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The istening figures were expected to be worse due to the end of the football season.

I thought this was quite interesting: http://talksport.com/press/talksport-closes-gap-bbc-5-live-150806161633

To sum things up, while BBC Radio 5 Live still has a considerably larger audience than talkSPORT, the gap between the two stations has almost halved in the space of five years - 5 Live had four million more listeners than talkSPORT in 2010, now that deficit is 2.3 million. Obviously talkSPORT's capture of exclusive national radio rights to Saturday 5.30pm and Sunday 1.30pm Premier League fixtures will have played a significant part in narrowing this deficit, but even then the gap was three million two years ago, so there must be more to it than simply that.

I spotted Kelvin MacKenzie highlighting this in his column in The Sun today (it was knocking about at work, honest guv!), with him making sure to take credit for "launching" talkSPORT of course, and he spun it as though the reason for this is that 5 Live are turning people off due to their "PC" and misery-based agenda. That's his argument, not mine, although it does chime in with the sort of sentiments that many of the regular posters express on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is not the quarter you refer to (July to Sept.) covering the football close season (incl. July and some of August?) yet to complete and be reported?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance of an evening sports show without the vacuity of kellie bloody cates.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    All we need now for perfection, is for her to replace Anna "hahaha" Foster.

Yes give me Barker or Charlton anytime over Foster and Brett.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Any chance of an evening sports show without the vacuity of kellie bloody cates.

She really is quite useless.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disapointed that, according to the schedules at least on the Iplayer radio app, 5Live are having a football (premiership I should say) preview show tonight instead of covering the opening game of the championship season. I'm normally fairly posetive about 5Live's sport coverage but poor calls like this make it hard! Happy to be proved wrong if they do decide to go with the live sport instead of yet another discussion show about the big 4...
    Must admit now that the live sport is about the only thing I listen to on 5Live these days-- infact, I haven't listened for more than about 5 minutes since the last round of the Open golf 3 weeks ago. I used to have it on nearly all day. that said, I'm not sure I find LBC much better, the same subjects done to death with ignorant callers and, in some cases, even more ignorant presenters.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I have been enjoying the recent posts and wanted to add a few thoughts.

I look forward to Rachel Burden returning on Monday. I have enjoyed Claire McDonnell and she's a great stand in, but I also like Rachel particuarly between 6-7. I know she has her critics, I am not one of them. I enjoy her insights into homespun life.

I also enjoy the relationship between Tony Livesey and Anna Foster. I think they gell well together. I think all the above broadcasters have a good grasp of listeners' lives and how to relate to them. So far, I haven't warmed to Charlie Charlton who seems very professional, but a bit posh and too old school BBC for me.

Nicky Campbell appears to have mellowed and I am in danger of beginning to like him!

I think the main problem is in the middle of the day. Adrian Chiles is clearly not suited to the programme. He sounds a really likeable person who would be great to have a pint with, but his style leaves him appearing to fumble and to be disinterested. It is clearly not his forte. Peter Allen is statesman like. Just simply awesome!

As for Dan and Sarah, they are warm, they get on well, they engage listeners but it is clear you don't need two of them. It is really hard for two people to interview one person because each interviewer pulls in different directions and the end product is a less than satisfying discussion. Also the items are too long. I also think anyone who does afternoons on Five Live sits down under the shadow of Simon Mayo who was, like Peter Allen, awesome.

I have no problem with Kelly Cates, I'm happy for there to be more Oldroyd, Barker (though not that far too in Non league Football Show) and Walker. I know the non league show is coming back but it has to improve...it is just a rabble of voices enthusing about a league system that needs explaining every week. I love football but the league's so complicated at that level that we need as bit of a pointer why some of the stories are so important.

Dislikes include The Science Show, rarely do I understand it and the sainted Film programme which are not Simon Mayo's finest hours (see above) and is really one item stretched to two hours. Why is it the News Channell crams as much into 15 minutes?

Finally, the weekend UAN is threadbare rubbish! Though I do like Dotun, I would like to assemble his virtual jukebox asnd his virtual bookshelf and shove it...I think you know the rest!

As Five Live's listening figures slowly decline, they need to consider Adrian Chiles role and whether they need presenters in the afternoons
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Rachel Burden has definitely grown on me since she started and I find her very down to earth. I don't notice the croakiness so much and wonder if it has improved. I really like Chris Warburton and wish he could replace Nicky Campbell or Adrian Chiles. I just have to switch off when Chiles starts on a Monday. He is so dull and has such a poor presentation style. I don't know however he got into broadcasting. Peter Allen is a bit laid back in style but brilliant and the best when it comes to discussing politics.

I don't mind Anna Foster but have enjoyed Charlie Charlton this week. She has a good broadcasting voice and I can't agree she is posh. She has a slight Geordie/North East accent and normally works for BBC Newcastle.

I wonder if the listening figures have declined due to LBC going national. I can finally receive DAB and listen more to LBC than 5 Live. I prefer Ian Collins to Phil Williams at 10 p.m. and Darren Adam is far and away superior to stumbling Doton during the night, although also clashes with Rhod. Shame about Phil Williams as I like him, but not the format of the programme and that silly quiz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the listening figures have declined due to LBC going national. I can finally receive DAB and listen more to LBC than 5 Live. .[/QUOTE]

The bbc apologists on DS won't have it though...
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple way to find out is to study the data for the amount of listeners 5 Live has lost on DAB, then compare it to the data that shows the amount of listeners LBC has gained on DAB over the same period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple way to find out is to study the data for the amount of listeners 5 Live has lost on DAB, then compare it to the data that shows the amount of listeners LBC has gained on DAB over the same period.

Does that include the people like me who listen via Freeview/Sky though?
  • ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member

Couldn't agree more, lovely voice and GSOH. While I'm here, Clare McDonnell. Goddess. When will she get her own gig? She's miles too good to be a super-sub.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Charlie Charlton as well.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great songs on the Virtual Jukebox tonight. Even Radio 6 music does not play Little Axe or Linda Lewis too often!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I like Charlie Charlton as well.

Used to listen to her on Radio Newcastle, I do like her myself.
    tahiti wrote: »
    Great songs on the Virtual Jukebox tonight. Even Radio 6 music does not play Little Axe or Linda Lewis too often!

Listened to the VJ last night for the first time in a while, I must admit I enjoyed the music selection.

It was obvious it was going to be a Cilla track last night though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the actual Virtual Jukebox 5 Live thread. ;-)

Call me cynical but if somebody last weekend had called up wanting to talk about Cilla and her music I reckon they'd have been given the dismissive sneery treatment on the VJ by Adebayo and guest. She wouldn't have got the 2 or 3 or however few caller or text votes to win.

I no longer listen. "Does it deserve to be on the Virtual Jukebox?" is a meaningless question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Call me cynical but if somebody last weekend had called up wanting to talk about Cilla and her music I reckon they'd have been given the dismissive sneery treatment on the VJ by Adebayo and guest.

It was a coincidence because she was actually nominated last week, and the news broke a few hours after the end of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    It was a coincidence because she was actually nominated last week, and the news broke a few hours after the end of the show.
    Fair enough. I presume it wasn't the obvious track?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Fair enough. I presume it wasn't the obvious track?

"You're my world". Those violin strokes are courageous !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good feature on reporting child abuse in Notts children's homes presented by Clare Mcdonald. Showed how it should be done. No faux empathy etc.
This discussion has been closed.