The Tennis Thread (Part 22)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,750
Administrator
abby103 wrote: »
Baltacha has made the Nottingham final which is good. Hopefully she's getting some match practice in so will be ready for Wimbledon.

Agree about Donna Vekic. I still can't believe she is only 16! I'm guessing it will be her first WTA title if she wins tomorrow? A really strong prospect. Not to hype her up too much, but I wouldn't want to be near her in the Wimbly draw. She could be dangerous for some players if they aren't use to the grass.

Petkovic got a WC into Wimbledon didn't she? Would be nice to have a good run there :)

Continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo! New Thread! :D
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All ready for tomorrow :D
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aye must be a bit of a nuisance for the mods :p
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great timing.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh new thread. Wasn't online while the matches were on so may as well post now.

Jo was serving better early on...especially the slice serve out wide on the deuce court. Muzza was living on the edge at 3-3 in the second set, fended off a BP by reading Jo's pass and making the pressure volley. Turning point of the match.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm liking Muzzas new second serve with the huge kick on it. It gave Jo a lot of problems yesterday. Let's hope it bounces even higher at Wimby.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last, a new thread.
    Final on at 12 today.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irishguy123.

Surprised to see nobody mention the fact that 16 year-old Donna Vekic is in the Birmingham final, what an incredible achievement. She'll play either Alison Riske or Daniela Hantuchova, certainly a winnable match. When's the last time a 16 year-old won a title?

Tamira Paszek won the Slovenian Open in 2006. She was 15 years, 9 months and 18 days old at the time, the 7th youngest in tour history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    At last, a new thread.
    Final on at 12 today.

Are they playing at 12 or 1 because BBC coverage doesn't start until 12.20?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they playing at 12 or 1 because BBC coverage doesn't start until 12.20?

Says 12.15 on the website. I think it's earlier because of dodgy weather forecast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Says 12.15 on the website. I think it's earlier because of dodgy weather forecast.

Hopefully they'll have the start of the match on the red button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10122371/Venus-and-Serena-Williams-hard-wired-for-glory-the-moment-they-were-born.html

Hope this link works. This is showing BBC2 next Sunday 7pm.

Yay it did. Not bad for a technophobe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Covers back on. Here we go again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rain go away! :(
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking Muzzas new second serve with the huge kick on it. It gave Jo a lot of problems yesterday. Let's hope it bounces even higher at Wimby.

A really good new development.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ES have Jimmy Carr on at the moment. :D

I think him and a few other comedians are also taking part in the charity match....if the rain ever stops!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And Eddie Redmayne from Lays Mis as Sue put it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they made the right decision yesterday. Murray could have never played on court 1 - he's world no.2 and British! The crowd came to see him!

In Australia, they would probably do the same for Hewitt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they made the right decision yesterday. Murray could have never played on court 1 - he's world no.2 and British! The crowd came to see him!

There weren't that many spectators watching on No. 1 court anyway. If people wanted to see Hewitts match that badly they could have easily got into to that court.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be really handy in the second week when the courts are brown and knackered.

In Basel, they would do the same for Federer. Likewise for Nadal in Madrid. No shame in that.

Tricky situation yesterday as the rain was neverending and they only had a small window to get both semis done. Ideally once they'd clocked the weather forecast they wouldn't have even started the Rusty-Cilic match on Centre and just moved it to C1 from the off, but eh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judy Murray looks frighteningly thin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This documentary looks great. They got so many people to appear in it!

The Man Behind the Racquet: 10:25, BBC 1 next Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That documentary about the Williams sisters on BBC next week looks good also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This documentary looks great. They got so many people to appear in it!

The Man Behind the Racquet: 10:25, BBC 1 next Sunday.
    Waiting impatiently for my EPG to update so I can add it to my planner.

They're out on court now...Muzza senses more rain is imminent. Head groundsman looks like Antony Worrall Thompson and I've seen him too often this week :p

Ump is Cedric Mourier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elena Baltacha has won Nottingham.
This discussion has been closed.