DAB in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    sparknet wrote: »
    it would be good 2 hear a new local station on the local mux.

Probably get U105 and maybe Radio Foyle as a part time opt-out of Radio Ulster?
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume Kiss at 128 kbps on the local multiplex will be switched off, or will we have duplicates ?

It would be nice if we got Heart and Capital as well.

I would imagine Kerrang is also a possibility as it's on the other Bauer multiplexes in Scotland.

Sadly, they've just removed Gold so I doubt it'll appear unless they specifically apply. The new space on the local multiplex was advertised a few months ago so hopefully the new stations will appear soon.
    Forum Member
    Yeah hopefully won't be too long. Its quite possible though that Bauer might keep Kiss on the local mux at 128kbps because I think they have done this with a few in England, unless that has changed?
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bauer have only kept KISS on Severn Estuary and London 1. On these muxes the DAB is a simulcast of the FM service in these areas. There's no KISS service on FM in Northern Ireland. Curiously, there is no DAB carriage on Peterborough/Cambridge/Norwich even though there is an FM KISS service in Anglia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see if the local multiplex moves from Black Mountain and Colinward on Friday.

This is supposed to happen at some stage, but not at the moment. Currently, the duplicates of Classic, Talksport, and UCB are still from Colinward, judging by the signal strength in this area.

It's strange how Kiss hasn't a duplicate.
    Forum Member
    Maybe there isn't a duplicate of Kiss because Bauer plan to switch it to another one of their stations from Friday? Doubt it, but it could be a possibility?

On another note, I don't know if this would be feasible but would there be capacity available to have a second mux for Northern Ireland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there isn't a duplicate of Kiss because Bauer plan to switch it to another one of their stations from Friday? Doubt it, but it could be a possibility?

On another note, I don't know if this would be feasible but would there be capacity available to have a second mux for Northern Ireland?

I'm sure I've read on Ofcom's website somewhere there would be no second local multiplex for NI:

If the second national multiplex ever gets off the ground it seems we'll be included:

http://www.wohnort.org/dab/uknat.html#D1
    National 2

Allotment:
    G__60004 England II
    G__60032 Isle of Man II
    G__60022 Northern Ireland II
    G__60012 Scotland II
    G__60005 Wales II
    Block 11A: 216.928 MHz (TBC)
    Operator: Ofcom awarded the second national commercial DAB licence to 4 Digital Group Limited, a consortium of Channel 4 Radio, Sky News Radio, Emap Digital Radio, UTV Radio (GB), The Carphone Warehouse Group and UBC Media Group. However, the multiplex never made it to air and the licence was formally handed back to Ofcom on January 30th 2009. Ofcom has yet to make an announcement about the future use of the capacity on the multiplex.
  • NorthDown2NorthDown2 Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Hertz wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if the local multiplex moves from Black Mountain and Colinward on Friday.

This is supposed to happen at some stage, but not at the moment. Currently, the duplicates of Classic, Talksport, and UCB are still from Colinward, judging by the signal strength in this area.

It's strange how Kiss hasn't a duplicate.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is the local mix no longer going to be broadcast from black mountain and Colinward? If so where is it going? Is it to be broadcast at a higher power?

Maybe I've picked up the wrong end of the stick.
  • cowmancowman Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Teamrock's twitter feed states that Teamrock will be available in Northern Ireland on DAB from 11am tomorrow
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From radiotoday eradio newsletter
    The big switch-on of the 6 Northern Ireland digital transmitters by Arqiva is being celebrated on Friday at the iconic Ulster Hall in Belfast, with live music performances sponsored by Absolute Radio and Smooth Radio, and featuring radio celebrities and politicians, including Eurovision Song Contest winner-turned-politician Dana
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NorthDown2 wrote: »
    Am I understanding this correctly? Is the local mix no longer going to be broadcast from black mountain and Colinward? If so where is it going? Is it to be broadcast at a higher power?

Maybe I've picked up the wrong end of the stick.

I was told some time back that the local mux will be moved from Black Mountain to Divis. Colinward will be decommissioned and moved to Carnmoney Hill.

Judging by the signal strength at this location, the new versions of Classic FM, Talksport, and UCB are still coming from Colinward Mountain and not Carnoney Hill, so it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow morning.
    Forum Member
    Picking up Digital One on 11D already in Belfast! Didn't expect it until the afternoon!
  • chipmanchipman Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    What stations you picking up?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told some time back that the local mux will be moved from Black Mountain to Divis. Colinward will be decommissioned and moved to Carnmoney Hill.

<snip>

That is what was proposed in Ofcom's DAB consultation: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/AnnexB/DSO_12D_Northern_Ireland_DA1.pdf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I'm picking up, Kiss duplicates one at 128kbps and the D1 at 80kbps and Jazz at 64kbps!
  • spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picking up Digital One on 11D already in Belfast! Didn't expect it until the afternoon!

It started on the dot at mid-night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »

Obviously this was the source of the information. I notice the OLD duplicates are still originating from Colinward and not Carnmoney Hill so I assume the plan hasn't been implemented yet.

Strangely, on doing the first rescan I picked up the RTE multiplex and a very weak/broken up signal for the vey first time, so I'm not sure if something's changed at Clermont Cairn.

Still, 30 odd stations on DAB is far, far, better than 9 on FM in the greater Belfast area (excluding long term community services and RTE/Today FM), even if half of them are in mono. Best thing to happen in radio in NI for years in my opinion..

Notice we've just had a mention on Smooth.

I would imagine U105 would need to be on DAB ASAP, though I wouldn't give up the Freeview slot if I was them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Sinn Féinn and the S.D.L.P will push for RTE to be available on DAB up here ?
    Forum Member
    Wonder how long it will be now until we see new stations on the local mux..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how long it will be now until we see new stations on the local mux..

Maybe mid September when the "OLD" versions of Classic FM, UCB, and Talksport are removed ? I would imagine Kiss will disappear off the local mix as well at that stage.

U105 need to be on sooner rather than later.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine Kiss will disappear off the local mix as well at that stage.
    It's a mux (short for multiplex) - not a mix!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    It's a mux (short for multiplex) - not a mix!

Yes, I know.

Think of the querty keyboard. It's a typo :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of the stations on Digital One have announced the fact they can now be received in Northern Ireland e.g. Smooth, Planet Rock, Team Rock, Premier etc. Premier are doing their breakfast show from Belfast all next week for example.

Strangely, to mark the occasion, Downtown are holding "digital road shows" in Belfast, which is odd since they're already on DAB. Maybe it's more of an awareness campaign.
    Forum Member
    Strangely, to mark the occasion, Downtown are holding "digital road shows" in Belfast, which is odd since they're already on DAB. Maybe it's more of an awareness campaign.

Think I read somewhere that N. Ireland has the lowest uptake of DAB in The UK so maybe Bauer want to bring more awareness like you said?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I read somewhere that N. Ireland has the lowest uptake of DAB in The UK so maybe Bauer want to bring more awareness like you said?

Makes sense because of their previous lack of D1.