Options

Local DAB Build Out

Comments

• Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Shaftesbury has gone live on 11B Bournemouth? I was driving through north Dorset yesterday, and got a pretty solid signal in that area.

As a different thought, should the mux re renamed "Dorset" rather than "Bournemouth" as a fair chunk of the county is now covered?
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    adc82140 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Shaftesbury has gone live on 11B Bournemouth? I was driving through north Dorset yesterday, and got a pretty solid signal in that area.

As a different thought, should the mux re renamed "Dorset" rather than "Bournemouth" as a fair chunk of the county is now covered?
    Probably but there are loads of anomalies like that, but in the case of Exeter & Torbay it's not a mux for the whole county so probably needs to be called East & South Devon (but not Plymouth)!

Maybe they are testing at Shaftesbury?
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Pringle wrote: »
    Probably but there are loads of anomalies like that, but in the case of Exeter & Torbay it's not a mux for the whole county so probably needs to be called East & South Devon (but not Plymouth)!
    North Devon is effectively a relay of Exeter & Torbay, as far as I know. So calling them Devon (but not Plymouth) would be more appropriate!
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that is the plan, in some of the proposals I saw, it was referred to as Bournemouth (Dorset).
  • Options
    jpg23jpg23 Posts: 72
    Forum Member

Apparently not, just Poole and Bincombe for now.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jpg23 wrote: »
    Apparently not, just Poole and Bincombe for now.

I suspect getting the mux fed to Shaftesbury is probably more of an effort, than installing the transmitter there ?
  • Options
    Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Mr Pringle wrote: »

Maybe they are testing at Shaftesbury?

The identifier on a DAB radio on the Exeter and Torbay mux already displays as "South East Devon".
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A516Digital are reporting that Now Norfolk will be changing frequency from 11B to 10B overnight on Tuesday 8th September and suggest that the additional transmitters will be switched on (although it's not clear if this will follow immediately or at a later date).
  • Options
    Cymon HCymon H Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    A516Digital are reporting that Now Norfolk will be changing frequency from 11B to 10B overnight on Tuesday 8th September and suggest that the additional transmitters will be switched on (although it's not clear if this will follow immediately or at a later date).

The Norwich low powered DAB Mux could do with getting on the air testing then , so that lots more people pick it up when they rescan for this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sort of suggests the extra Txs will come on at the same time too ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/item65
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A516Digital are reporting that Now Norfolk will be changing frequency from 11B to 10B overnight on Tuesday 8th September
    This will be first of many retunes, and listeners will have to do a reset and full scan to get 10B. Hope there are many on air notifications otherwise potential for confusion for many listeners.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    This will be first of many retunes, and listeners will have to do a reset and full scan to get 10B. Hope there are many on air notifications otherwise potential for confusion for many listeners.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes as it's the first DAB retune for a while and ahead of others, such as Sussex as you say.
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10B simulcasting 11B in Norwich area but not in Gt Yarmouth yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    10B simulcasting 11B in Norwich area but not in Gt Yarmouth yet.

Interesting, that implies that at Stoke Holy Cross (at least), they are replacing the transmitter, and not simply retuning it ?
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Interesting, that implies that at Stoke Holy Cross (at least), they are replacing the transmitter, and not simply retuning it ?
    Not necessarily.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Mow Cop in Staffs / Cheshire is still waiting for local DAB to be installed and D1 (must be the 2yr target for this now).

It's all a bit naff DAB in n.Staffs.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Well Mow Cop in Staffs / Cheshire is still waiting for local DAB to be installed and D1 (must be the 2yr target for this now).

It's all a bit naff DAB in n.Staffs.
    Interesting site and comments at mb21, seems to be a relay of Alsagers Bank mast and restricted to one direction? Maybe soon a more omnidirectional aerial will be fitted?
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/mow-cop.phpt
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    There have been some coverage improvements in the southern part of the Exeter/Torbay area.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Has the Birmingham trial started?
    I'm receiving idents but no progs
  • Options
    jpg23jpg23 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    vinnielo wrote: »
    There have been some coverage improvements in the southern part of the Exeter/Torbay area.

Probably the addition of Brixham and Kingswear/Dartmouth last month?
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Interesting site and comments at mb21, seems to be a relay of Alsagers Bank mast and restricted to one direction? Maybe soon a more omnidirectional aerial will be fitted?
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/mow-cop.phpt

Well that's the BBC National, but D1 and Stoke local was meant to be appearing - nothing as of yet though.
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Testing has commenced from the Muxco Lincs ensemble on DAB 12A.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBCLincolnshire, Lincs FM, and Compass FM test transmissions have appeared on Muxco Lincs, stronger than MXR Yorkshire was here in South Notts, I.e. I get audio but low signal strength.

Could well be Belmont as Multiplex 1 and 2 of Freeview make regular appearances and Lincs FM on 102.2 only...
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    BBCLincolnshire, Lincs FM, and Compass FM test transmissions have appeared on Muxco Lincs, stronger than MXR Yorkshire was here in South Notts, I.e. I get audio but low signal strength.

Could well be Belmont as Multiplex 1 and 2 of Freeview make regular appearances and Lincs FM on 102.2 only...

It does seem to be reaching a fairly wide area beyond its editorial region. Yes, most probably Belmont. I wouldn't have expected the lower powered Lincoln & Grantham transmitters to have that sort of coverage.

It will be interesting to see how the audio holds out when they switch from test announcements to actual broadcasts.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsilon wrote: »
    It does seem to be reaching a fairly wide area beyond its editorial region. Yes, most probably Belmont. I wouldn't have expected the lower powered Lincoln & Grantham transmitters to have that sort of coverage.

It will be interesting to see how the audio holds out when they switch from test announcements to actual broadcasts.

Looking at the coverage maps I'm just covered (as in the corner shop 2 mins away isn't!) - Belmont basically being directly down the Trent valley between here and Newark helps... (I.e. no hills West of Lincoln)