Live Action Beauty and the Beast

stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starring Emma Watson, as announced on her official FB page.
I'm finally able to tell you... that I will be playing Belle in Disney's new live-action Beauty and the Beast! It was such a big part of my growing up, it almost feels surreal that I'll get to dance to 'Be Our Guest' and sing 'Something There'. My six year old self is on the ceiling - heart bursting. Time to start some singing lessons. I can't wait for you to see it. Emma xx

I can actually very much see this casting working.

Thoughts?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good casting. I could totally see her as Belle.

I wonder who they have lined up for Beast.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that I like this new trend of live-action versions of animated Disney movies. I'll have to see Cinderella before really making a judgement on it though. I wasn't impressed by Maleficent but that wasn't really a live action version of the animated one so much as being inspired by it.

With regards to the casting, very interesting. Emma Watson wouldn't have been someone I'd have considered but I can see that she would do a good job in the role. I'm very interested to see her in the role of Belle - and also intrigued to see who else they cast in the film!
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Why? Why?

She's beautiful, but she's a terrible actress.

As for her 'singing'. Oh dear...
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fuller and more 'womanly appearing' actress would have been nice.

I don't like all these live-action Disney films. The original stories are too short to make into credible films. And, they're mostly about little girls.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems good because it looks like a copy of the original which I am all for.

The difference with Maleficent was that it took big liberties with the original movie from which it was based, and still Jolie's Maleficent is not THE Maleficent from the animation.

The upcoming Cinderella looks good but isn't like the animation either. Different appearance and appeal and no songs for starters.
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if this means its all British accents again. I find it funny Maleficent and Cinderella were both Disney live actions with British accents and now it looks like Beauty & The Beast will be the same! yet all the classic movies had American voice over casts aside from 101 Dalmations which was based in London anyway.

Wonder which movie will be next? I would like to see them attempt a live action The Little Mermaid.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why? Beauty & The Beast is the best Disney film of all time. What, apart from swelling Disney's bank balance, can this possibly add to it?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that this sort of thing tends to happen when a studio runs short of ideas. I daresay we will have a new 'Lion King' before long, starring real lions.

That being said, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The original cartoon was nominated for Best Picture, so it is a tough act to follow, especially as much of the cast will be mo-cap CGI if they are to be faithful to the original.

I disagree with a previous comment that Emma Watson is a terrible actress. At the height of the Harry Potter films, I made comments on these forums that, of the main three, she was the most likely to go on to build a career as a film star, and it looks like I was right. My only real criticism of her at the time was a tendency to gabble her lines on occasion. That is something that she has since ironed out. I have never heard her sing, so I cannot comment on that. Anyway, even if she does turn out to be a terrible singer, they will just dub somebody else's voice over hers. Nobody had ever heard Johnny Depp sing before 'Sweeney Todd', yet he was Oscar-nominated. I had never heard Anne Hathaway sing either, but her performance in 'Les Miserables' actually won an Oscar. Neither was dubbed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like the idea they are making live actions of their classics, even though 101 Dalmations live action came first, I think was probably the success of Enchanted that kick started this new direction for them. Disney were lost in the 00s until Enchanted rebooted them.

I think its only a matter of time before they do a live action Frozen but like I said above, I would like to see The Little Mermaid before that.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really excited about this until I saw the director of Twilight is attached to it... now, not so sure. They should have signed up Tim Burton. But I am looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,961
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this.

I remember her mentioning singing lessons in an interview and wondered what she was taking them for. Now we know. :)
  • mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This version is based on the Broadway show (Disney's best show in my opinion) so I am excited to see how it turns out. I just hope Watson can carry a tune.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    It's the first animated musical into a live action musical adaptation from Disbey, fitting given it was the first Disney show to hit Broadway.

Alan Menken has been discussing this film for a few year; at one point it seemed to have been shelved. Such a shame that once again, Howard Ashman isn't around to see how successful the original film has become.

I wonder if the enchanted objects are CGI, if the original voice actors will return? Angela Lanbury will always be Mrs Potts!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Angela isn't cast as Mrs Potts they should at the very least give her a cameo!
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much looking forward to this. I have enjoyed most of Emma Watson's roles and I think this casting is perfect.

I like that they are doing live action versions of their animations. Cinderella looks fantastic. Maleficent was terrible as they decided to butcher their already established characters. If I didn't know Sleeping Beauty before I went in I probably would have enjoyed it, except for the fairies. They were terrible.

As someone else said I would like to see them attempt a Little Mermaid next.
  • Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    There's a rumor (albeit a small rumor) that a teaser is coming May 15th. If so, it will most likely follow the Cinderella style with the rose or something (like they did with the glass slipper).

Secretly I'm hoping for a quick glance of Belle and the beast but we'll see.

B&TB is one of my favorite movies of all time, I think mainly because of happy times in my childhood (I also love the lion king). I'm hoping this is just as good. Wasn't too keen on Maleficent or Cinderella but I do have high hopes for this.