Options

Should the BBC revert back to it pre-digital business model?

jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
Forum Member
With the freeze imposed on the licence fee since 2010, taking over the funding of the World Service and S4C, and from 2018 having to cover the costs of free TV licences for the over 75's, should the BBC to make up for the losses in its revenue revert back to its pre-digital business model.

BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Live and local radio services, scale back its web services and charge for access to the BBC iPlayer.

With BBC services such as BBC Three, BBC Four, News Channel, Parliament, Radio 1Xtra, 4 Extra, 5 Live Sports Extra, 6 Music and Asian Network all facing the axe.

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It's some miracle they managed to launch so many new services for not much extra money.

Sadly, political interference means they may well have to cut back to What they did before.

So the public will get a lot less for their money
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the extra services add a lot of value at hardly any cost. Radio 4 Extra, for example, costs just a few pence per year per licence fee
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    It's some miracle they managed to launch so many new services for not much extra money.

Sadly, political interference means they may well have to cut back to What they did before.

So the public will get a lot less for their money

I personally knew the lady who set up the digital services and showed how it could be done with little extra expense. She then did a two year contract with Sky before returning tp the USA
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think the BBC can juggle about a bit in order to keep key services afloat.

Come 2020 this is how I see the BBC:

TELEVISION:

BBC 1
    BBC 2
    BBC NEWS
    CBBC and CBeebies (on one channel)
    BBC Parliament and BBC Extra (on one channel)

(BBC Extra replaces BBC4 and is a mixture of BBC4 type programming, BBC 3 type programming and the best bits of BBC1 and BBC2). Airs 7pm - 7am with BBC Parliament airing 7am - 7pm)

RADIO

Radio 1
    Radio 2
    Radio 3
    Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra
    Radio 5 Live

LOCAL RADIO

BBC Radio South West
    BBC Radio South
    BBC Radio South East
    BBC Radio Wales
    BBC Radio West Midlands
    BBC Radio Midlands
    BBC Radio East Midlands
    BBC Radio North East
    BBC Radio Yorkshire
    BBC Radio North West
    BBC Radio North
    BBC Radio Scotland South
    BBC Radio Scotland North

DIGITAL RADIO

None.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I would like to think the BBC can juggle about a bit in order to keep key services afloat.

TELEVISION:

BBC 1
    BBC 2
    BBC NEWS
    CBBC and CBeebies (on one channel)

(BBC Extra replaces BBC4 and is a mixture of BBC4 type programming, BBC 3 type programming and the best bits of BBC1 and BBC2). Airs 7pm - 7am with BBC Parliament airing 7am - 7pm)

RADIO

Radio 1
    Radio 2
    Radio 3
    Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra
    Radio 5 Live

LOCAL RADIO

BBC Radio South West
    BBC Radio South
    BBC Radio South East
    BBC Radio Wales
    BBC Radio West Midlands
    BBC Radio Midlands
    BBC Radio East Midlands
    BBC Radio North East
    BBC Radio Yorkshire
    BBC Radio North West
    BBC Radio North
    BBC Radio Scotland South
    BBC Radio Scotland North

DIGITAL RADIO

None.

I take you have forgot about Northern Ireland when it comes to Radio.

I think they might keep Radio 5 extra as it is just for extra sport which they cant fit on to Radio 5 live
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

TELEVISION:

RADIO

LOCAL RADIO

DIGITAL RADIO

None.

What about the very popular website? I am sure that will continue, including iPlayer and TV/radio channel live streams, though with overall less non-news material.

And UHD? Hmmm... but no, it will not revert to its pre-digital business model, just less of it than now.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TELEVISION:

....... with BBC Parliament airing 7am - 7pm)

DIGITAL RADlO

None.
    Unless the House of Commons changes its hours, 7am - 7pm will be totally unsuitable, missing quite a bit of live coverage on a few days

What are the sitting (meeting) hours of the House of Commons?

2.30-10.30pm on Mondays, 11.30am-7.30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9.30am-5.30pm on Thursdays; and 9.30am-3pm on sitting Fridays.
    http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/

And isn't the BBC supposed to be at the forefront of digital radio so that FM can be switched off and the spectrum sold off?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Unless the House of Commons changes its hours, 7am - 7pm will be totally unsuitable, missing quite a bit of live coverage on a few days

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/

And isn't the BBC supposed to be at the forefront of digital radio so that FM can be switched off and the spectrum sold off?

Yes, you are right. All Radio stations would be digital but the extra digital radio stations such as 1 extra, Asian Network and 6 Music could be axed. That's what I meant. Good point about Parliament. BBC Extra wont exist then in that case.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with most of the OP. . But I do think iplayer should be free for UK licence holders. I would also keep 5LSX as a sort of radio version of the red button for when events clash.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What about the very popular website? I am sure that will continue, including iPlayer and TV/radio channel live streams, though with overall less non-news material.

And UHD? Hmmm... but no, it will not revert to its pre-digital business model, just less of it than now.

In terms of television, I foresee BBC One, BBC Two, Red Button 1, Red Button 2, Red Button 3 and BBC iPlayer (for connected tvs).

In terms of Online, the BBC Website definitely.

In terms of National Radio, Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4 and Radio 5.

In terms of the Nations and Regions Radio, BBC Scotland, BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland. BBC North, BBC South, BBC East, BBC West, BBC Midlands and BBC London. The World Service will be slimmed down too.

We will probably see the Nations and Regions on both radio and television sharing and pooling resources too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of the OP. . But I do think iplayer should be free for UK licence holders. I would also keep 5LSX as a sort of radio version of the red button for when events clash.

I'm not sure they'd be allowed to charge for the iPlayer separately. Competition Law and State Aid etc?
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title of the thread suggests, it would be a step back, and a huge one. If the BBC try to claim to be a major news source they cannot get rid of the news channel. Part of their charter means they would still have to commit very large resources to news information and by restricting its news output to bulletins on its TV and radio channels would probably be seen as a massive waste of those resources.

BBC iPlayer is another issue, how could the BBC justify a paywall for the iPlayer when the whole archive is funded by the license fee? Again a huge outcry.

As has been stated how the BBC has increased its output with the constraints of the license fee is something of a marvel.

Maybe someone, somewhere knew these constraints were coming when this digital age came and they stuck out as much as they could and have looked at just what is worth keeping and now we are getting to see the results of this 'experiment'. Daft I know but I wouldn't put it past someone.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actual number of channels isn't so significant in the digital era as each radio and TV station doesn't need an individual transmitter.

BBC Parliament really costs so little and its public service credentials are so high that there's no reason to axe or share it (unless there's an obvious partner where there would be no clash of hours whatsoever). There's actually a very strong case for a parliament channel funded directly from government coffers. Obviously as we have a strong public service broadcaster there's no need, but that's what would probably happen in extreme circumstances
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is wishful thinking but I would love for the BBC to have a dedicated sports channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I know it is wishful thinking but I would love for the BBC to have a dedicated sports channel.
    Wishful thinking at the best of times, pie in the sky under current conditions and existing government.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you are right. All Radio stations would be digital but the extra digital radio stations such as 1 extra, Asian Network and 6 Music could be axed. That's what I meant. Good point about Parliament. BBC Extra wont exist then in that case.
    I don't think 6Music will be axed. I think it would be more likely that 6Music will be given a "promotion" to FM - where Radio 1 currently is. Radio 1 as it is now will do as BBC Three - move "online" because "young adults listen to music on smartphones, tablets and streaming services such as Spotify and YouTube" before being run down and axed - the additional money going to say, Radio 3 or 4.

Parliament won't be touched, the MPs would be in uproar - they were vocal enough about it not being a full video service on DTT during the early-mid 2000s.

BBC Four is also a sacred cow that Hall won't touch either unless the BBC ends up in dire straits, in which case I'd expect BBC Two to take on the programming and remit of BBC Four.

The biggest casualty of any forthcoming cuts to the BBC will be young adults, who'll have their services axed but will still be expected to continue to pay for the licence fee by having who has to pay it extended.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And show what exactly? Minority sports? If these became popular sure as eggs is eggs Sky and now BT would would snap them up pronto.

Golf? No Open championship from 2017, No Ryder Cup since the nineties, The Masters cut to the 2 final days.

Olympics, not if Eurosport etc. have anything to say about it from 2020.

Even since Sky and the rest got into sport in a big way the amount of sport the BBC has lost makes a sports channel totally u feasible for the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. Two points: I don't think the BBC are allowed to and have they got enough content to fill the hours?
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    In terms of television, I foresee BBC One, BBC Two, Red Button 1, Red Button 2, Red Button 3 and BBC iPlayer (for connected tvs).

In terms of Online, the BBC Website definitely.

In terms of National Radio, Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4 and Radio 5.

In terms of the Nations and Regions Radio, BBC Scotland, BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland. BBC North, BBC South, BBC East, BBC West, BBC Midlands and BBC London. The World Service will be slimmed down too.

We will probably see the Nations and Regions on both radio and television sharing and pooling resources too.

I've often wondered by regional and national programmes aren't networked to fill hours cheaply. The Inside Out programme series could be extended and rotated around the country for example. I think some programmes obviously made by a nation have appeared on BBC4.
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure they'd be allowed to charge for the iPlayer separately. Competition Law and State Aid etc?

AIUI, TV licence holders wouldn't have to pay twice; it's to close the loophole that allows people to access BBC programmes for free via the iPlayer.
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just stop giving pensioners this absurd state benefit, this is a social welfare handout to a group of people who have been protected all through the recession.

What will the BBC be given responsibility for next: child benefit, NHS dental care ?

That opera luvvy of a Director General who is in charge now, is a joke, if he is incapable of defending the BBC from this massive government interference, one of the Murdoch clan may as well take over from him, they would do less damage.

But as long as there is some dull Shakespeare or boring, snoring Proms on the television, that jackass will be happy.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will be axed, not in name anyway. More automation, networking of local radio. More staff cuts. Independent contractors being hired to make studio productions. More use of other studios (London, Maidstone, etc) The BBC will end up a publisher broadcaster outside of News, although there is nothing stopping them outsourcing that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just stop giving pensioners this absurd state benefit, this is a social welfare handout to a group of people who have been protected all through the recession.
    They might have been, but their savings interest has not - it has taken a massive hit whilst those with mortgages have benefited from ultra-low rates.
    That opera luvvy of a Director General who is in charge now, is a joke, if he is incapable of defending the BBC from this massive government interference, one of the Murdoch clan may as well take over from him, they would do less damage.
    But what was he supposed to do? The government held all of the cards, and the comments from Lord Patten seem to suggest that Whittingdale's original package and "negotiating" stance was far more brutal than the later package that Osborne came up with. Yes, he could have said no, but the Government would simply have withdrawn their offer to change the law so that the LF covered catchup services as well as the option to link the LF increase to CPI. A much worse "deal".
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, when we read about news channel going online, it is I imagined carriage fees. I assume using a channel slot costs money.
    Now News is a big thing for the BBC, and also if hours are not used for broadcast, the BBC still pays for the channel air space.
    In effect normally weekdays BBC News runs on 1 and 2 for 7.5 hours, Breakfast, Derbyshire, World News, Daily Politics, Lunch News. So why not just keep this schedule on BBC 1.
    BBC 2, until 2pm should be sport free. So annual events like Snooker, Indoor Athletics are on Red Button.
    IIRC BBC Parliament was the parliament channel before, and no one watched it, but the BBC have expanded it by covering Scottish, Welsh debates etc.

Keep current radio , including digital, except merge Radio 4 extra and Five Extra. So Cricket which is on Radio 4 LW is on 4 Extra, but during say football season, has a match Tues, Weds, Fri (mainly Rugby). Mon and Thurs comedy and drama nights. Not sure if NFL should continue, isn't it the sort of thing for Talksport.

Weekends BBC 2, should show BBC World News progs like Travel Show, Our World, Click.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC Extra could air after 9pm sharing with the kids channels and share with the Parliament channel where possible.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

Easy way to cover iplayer you have to have a TV licence if you have any internet connection, i was thinking about only fast connections but its possible to download content on a very slow one eg sky's on demand service(which includes iplayer) even if it takes a long time.

It would have to be classed as a TV and internet licence or a media licence.
    It would only effect a small number of people, as I'm sure most people already watch live TV.