Options

Turkish soldier shot dead by ISIS cross border fire

ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
Forum Member
And two more injured.

Turkey has responded with tank and artillery fire.

This could spell the end of ISIS. Turkey are part of NATO. If they go in on the ground, more countries might follow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33641315

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey has a modern and powerful army, plus the fighting is right on their doorstep. I think that they are the best people for the job. They should be the first to send in significant numbers of ground troops.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey has a modern and powerful army, plus the fighting is right on their doorstep. I think that they are the best people for the job. They should be the first to send in significant numbers of ground troops.

i think they are quite happy letting isis and the kurds fight it out.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

As the last year has proved you are right. Erdogan may regret allowing ISIS free reign across its borders during the past 18 months.,
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

And all the while that that is happening, the Kurds are gaining a lot of friends in the political world, and they are getting armed.

A well armed and independent Kurdistan is not something Turkey will relish. The Kurds have claims on huge areas of territory in eastern Turkey.

Turkey must decide whether they want to sit back and let the Kurds develop their relationship with the western powers, and potentially end up having a border with an independent Kurdistan, or whether they'll take the initiative and go into Syria to move ISIS out.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe this will change and I hope it does. I'd much rather have Turkey take the lead role, with NATO support, over Saudi. I also think that with the UKs interference in other Muslim nations in recent years, that the ground attack would be better coming from another Muslim majority nation like Turkey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this will change and I hope it does. I'd much rather have Turkey take the lead role, with NATO support, over Saudi. I also think that with the UKs interference in other Muslim nations in recent years, that the ground attack would be better coming from another Muslim majority nation like Turkey.

Well it would be alot better if turkey was the first one to strike them rather than Israel, idk what is actually holding the Israelis back. I would not have thought they would tolerate such a threat so close to their own borders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    And all the while that that is happening, the Kurds are gaining a lot of friends in the political world, and they are getting armed.

A well armed and independent Kurdistan is not something Turkey will relish. The Kurds have claims on huge areas of territory in eastern Turkey.

Turkey must decide whether they want to sit back and let the Kurds develop their relationship with the western powers, and potentially end up having a border with an independent Kurdistan, or whether they'll take the initiative and go into Syria to move ISIS out.

You forget to mention that china is also arming the kurds with various weapons and have alot to lose if isis get a hold of iraqs oil fields. i believe i am correct in saying that isis have declared war on china, but please correct me if i am wrong.
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technical Question.

Now that ISIS ( ISIL etc) have fired across the border upon a NATO member, must NATO as a whole respond?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    Technical Question.

Now that ISIS ( ISIL etc) have fired across the border upon a NATO member, must NATO as a whole respond?

the Syrian government did the same thing and we did nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Syrian government did the same thing and we did nothing

When does a border skirmish become a border attack?

And when does the "one for all and all for one ethos" of NATO kick in?
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turkey will do the minimum it has to please nato partners. A full scale conflict neither benefits turkey or the Islamic state.

Erdogan is full aware of IS cells inside Turkey that he has no desire to see activated.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

But ultimately is it not Turkey who must decide whether to give the Kurds a piece of land of their own? The West may be their friend but the West cannot give them an independent homeland.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does a border skirmish become a border attack?

And when does the "one for all and all for one ethos" of NATO kick in?

THAT is the question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    THAT is the question!

That is a question NATO is trying to answer
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would fully support a Turkish ground offensive against ISIS, but that's where it stops. Any attempt to attack the Assad regime I would consider illegal and a war crime.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Turkey will do the minimum it has to please nato partners. A full scale conflict neither benefits turkey or the Islamic state.

Erdogan is full aware of IS cells inside Turkey that he has no desire to see activated.
    For once I agree with you. No doubt you are well informed.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I would fully support a Turkish ground offensive against ISIS, but that's where it stops. Any attempt to attack the Assad regime I would consider illegal and a war crime.

The Turkish government is considering sending in troops, not to fight IS though, but to stop the possibility of Kurdish state being formed.

They would rather deal with the Kurds than Islamic State.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Turkish government is considering sending in troops, not to fight IS though, but to stop the possibility of Kurdish state being formed.

They would rather deal with the Kurds than Islamic State.

Agreed.

Turkey have only acted because IS acted within its borders, before they were very happy for IS to kill as many militant Kurds as they could as it took pressure off their internal problems.

Even now, its clear they are taking this chance to hoover up as many Kurdish supporters as they can while making it look as though they are dealing with IS.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technical Question.

Nope. See-

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_110496.htm

Turkey could request a response via NATO's Council but NATO members don't automatically have to do anything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Agreed.

Turkey have only acted because IS acted within its borders, before they were very happy for IS to kill as many militant Kurds as they could as it took pressure off their internal problems.

Even now, its clear they are taking this chance to hoover up as many Kurdish supporters as they can while making it look as though they are dealing with IS.

When did IS act within its borders . IS are not ones to not claim responsibility for acts and they say the attack the other day wasn't them.

Erdogan is no different from the other leaders in the region in the sense they only use there military to kill Muslims .

For 4 years erdogan screamed about Assad and did nothing. Now at the behest of America he starts to bomb Muslims in Syria.

You are right though erdogan will use it as an opportunity to hit the PKK terrorists
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    You forget to mention that china is also arming the kurds with various weapons and have alot to lose if isis get a hold of iraqs oil fields. i believe i am correct in saying that isis have declared war on china, but please correct me if i am wrong.

It appears so. Either totally insane or massively ambitious. Most likely the former.
    ISIS terrorist leader ‘Caliphate’ officially declares war with Rome, India, China, Palestine (Israel), Somalia, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt, Iraq, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and Morocco.

http://www.africametro.com/world-news/terrorist-caliphate-declares-war-with-china-india-rome
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It appears so. Either totally insane or massively ambitious. Most likely the former.

http://www.africametro.com/world-news/terrorist-caliphate-declares-war-with-china-india-rome

Why just Rome and not the rest of Italy or is geography not one of his strong points :confused:

I think stark staring bonkers is the best way way to describe him
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Turkey and Isis have clearly come to some sort of arrangement, hence ISIS are on a large part of its border, but never (apart from yesterday) attack it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Turkey and Isis have clearly come to some sort of arrangement, hence ISIS are on a large part of its border, but never (apart from yesterday) attack it.

I disagree but for arguments sake why should of Turkey attacked is? IS were not attacking Turkey .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Why just Rome and not the rest of Italy or is geography not one of his strong points :confused:

I think stark staring bonkers is the best way way to describe him

Perhaps by saying rome he means the catholic or christian west?

One thing i wonder is how much support is isis geting from the saudis and the other gulf states