Nexus 4, cracked screen

2»

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You mind find that its covered in your house insurance, just the excess to pay which will probably be the cheapest method.

already checked. Apparently I needed to take an extension of the policy to cover 'personal possessions'
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good reason not to buy this phone. Not that I've got a clue what a digitizer is!

The digitizer detects the touch input and is part of the glass screen. On an ipad for example this just sits on top of the LCD screen. Trouble is if you have to get it fixed you can get dust between the digitizer and the LCD

If they are bonded like on the Nexus 4 you cannot get dust underneath the glass so its a better design, but with the caveat that if you break the glass you will need to replace the LCD and digitizer making the repair more expensive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good reason not to buy this phone. Not that I've got a clue what a digitizer is!

there are three parts to the screen. The top is glass front (in this case gorilla glass 2), the bottom is LCD panel which produces the image and sandwiched in the middle is the digitiser which recognises when you touch the screen.

The reason for bonding them is to stop dust, moisture, etc getting between the layers. Its quite common on modern phones. It is possible separate them by warm the glue and then using sharp plastic edge but its not recommended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update, I went to CPW today and they looked it up and confirmed it will be £79.99 and it shouldn't effect the warranty. Will take around 7 to 14 days unless I go to one of their stores with a repair centre and they have have the parts in stock which would basically mean going there, getting it checked, them ordering the parts then go back a different day after the parts have arrived and they should be able to do it 'in a couple of hours'. Though I could get to the nearest one (Strafford) I don't want to go there twice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final update, CPW couldn't repair the screen so have shipped me a brand new handset :) Nice at the old handset also had a cracked back glass and scratched bezel. The new phone is safely in a case now and lessen learnt, the nexus 4 breaks very easily !
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Final update, CPW couldn't repair the screen so have shipped me a brand new handset :) Nice at the old handset also had a cracked back glass and scratched bezel. The new phone is safely in a case now and lessen learnt, the nexus 4 breaks very easily !

The days of dropping phones out of windows and still working are long gone all phones break easy these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    The days of dropping phones out of windows and still working are long gone all phones break easy these days.

I have to say that I abused my desire a lot worse and it survived without problems. Just seems like the nexus 4 is a fragile design and really needs a bumper or case.