Options

Neighbour wants to access adjoining property to do work on his house

Comments

• Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think you let yourself down with this comment.

Odd!
    Unless of course, you are getting mixed up with the thread about balloons
  • Options
    red_boots2red_boots2 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    What happens if either house one day suffers from subsidence and requires scaffolding? Or during a storm the roof for example becomes damaged?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Yes I do.when they both retire they will move, and there's nothing major that will be done between now and then

If they both want to stay in that house for the rest of their working lives, they might be better advised to make an effort to get on with their neighbours and not just object to building work next door because Daddy wouldn't stand for it.

And besides, none of us knows what's round the corner for oursleves, never mind our children. So for you to say your daughter and her other half will live there until they retire is very peculiar. You can't know their minds or what life's got in store for them.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My I live in a mid terrace of 6 houses. neighbour was having an extension of a single storey sun lounge that did not require planning permission. We agreed her builder could remove the portion of wooden fence between our houses (my boundary fence) the equivalent length of the sun lounge and so I have a nice brick wall which needs no maintenance. I don't recall her builders ever coming on my property.

I did have a run in with the builder before he even started when he informed me while I put some washing out 'we are going to tap into your downpipe luv so the water off the sun lounge roof drains into it'. 'Oh no you're not' says I, 'don't even go there'. 'Well we'll have all the extra work of digging a soakaway' says builder 'that's right' I replied. He got rather offensive, I used some very offensive words back and he went off.

Checked with my solicitors who rreveiwed my deeds and confirmed I was quite correct. I wrote a letter to him as dictated by my solicitor, all went well and they duly put a soakaway in.

Peace and happiness reign supreme to this day.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I would be accommodating as I would never know when I might have to ask for them to be as accommodating to me. I'm in a terrace so it's always a possibility .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If they both want to stay in that house for the rest of their working lives, they might be better advised to make an effort to get on with their neighbours and not just object to building work next door because Daddy wouldn't stand for it.

And besides, none of us knows what's round the corner for oursleves, never mind our children. So for you to say your daughter and her other half will live there until they retire is very peculiar. You can't know their minds or what life's got in store for them.

Why peculiar? That we know what my daughter and husband want to do?
    We talk to each other!
    True,fate may intervene, but that is their plan
    They got on excellently with the neighbour who has moved out,Why did you say about making an effort? Never been a problem, before and not likely to be in the future.
    This house is not joined to theirs but is a semidetached house with space between
    Any scaffolding required doesn't have to be on the neighbours side in order to work on my daughters house, if there was a problem with roof or subsidence.
    If the new neighbours want to extend right up to the wall between them, they may want to have scaffolding put up.it may never happen, but if they have several children , they may well want to extend.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    How NIMBY do you have to be to already have such a terrible attitude towards a situation like this, where a) nobody has even moved in yet, b) they might not want to do any work, and c) they might not need access to do any work!

OP, your daughter might not be planning an extension but if she's planning on staying there until retirement it's almost guaranteed that at some point she will need to do work that will cause some sort of annoyance or inconvenience to her neighbours. Or perhaps she's not going to bother repairing and maintaining her property? There are places like that, where nobody gives a toss, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in these areas.

Sensible people understand that any good-quality work carried out in their street/estate/neighbourhood can only be beneficial to everybody living there.

I feel bad for the new neighbour actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    How NIMBY do you have to be to already have such a terrible attitude towards a situation like this, where a) nobody has even moved in yet, b) they might not want to do any work, and c) they might not need access to do any work!

OP, your daughter might not be planning an extension but if she's planning on staying there until retirement it's almost guaranteed that at some point she will need to do work that will cause some sort of annoyance or inconvenience to her neighbours. Or perhaps she's not going to bother repairing and maintaining her property? There are places like that, where nobody gives a toss, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in these areas.

Sensible people understand that any good-quality work carried out in their street/estate/neighbourhood can only be beneficial to everybody living there.

I feel bad for the new neighbour actually.

Nothing my daughter does to repair/ maintain her property will impinge on the neighbours , and I can assure you it is very well maintained and in good order.
    Other neighbours can do what they like as long as it isn't to the detriment of her property.
    Who in their right mind would want noise, inconvenience, mess and possible damage to her car, as there is nowhere to park it where it wouldn't be affected.
    If she had a huge garden then it wouldn't be so bad, but in her case it would cause huge disruption and stress.
    This sort of work can go on for weeks, possibly months- not very beneficial to her.
    An extension on the neighbours house would not really benefit the neighbourhood either
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    ... Personally, I would not give access to a neighbour for anything other than essential works - equally, I would not expect a neighbour to allow me access to their property purely to make cosmetic changes to my property. .
    ... Who on earth wants someone on their property with all that entails ...

I'm amazed at this attitude on what seems to be a point of principle as much as any specific concern. Why make life difficult for others?. I share boundaries with 6 neighbours and I think, with their permission of course, I have been on the property of 5 of them to carry out maintenance
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Nothing my daughter does to repair/ maintain her property will impinge on the neighbours , and I can assure you it is very well maintained and in good order.
    Other neighbours can do what they like as long as it isn't to the detriment of her property.
    Who in their right mind would want noise, inconvenience, mess and possible damage to her car, as there is nowhere to park it where it wouldn't be affected.
    If she had a huge garden then it wouldn't be so bad, but in her case it would cause huge disruption and stress.
    This sort of work can go on for weeks, possibly months- not very beneficial to her.
    An extension on the neighbours house would not really benefit the neighbourhood either

An extension is not meant to benefit the neighbourhood, its about benefiting the people having the extension done, even if they dont go onto your daughters property there will still be noise, home improvement can go on for a long time not all jobs are 5 mins. Just the same as home improvements are part of owning a house getting it how you want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    An extension is not meant to benefit the neighbourhood, its about benefiting the people having the extension done, even if they dont go onto your daughters property there will still be noise, home improvement can go on for a long time not all jobs are 5 mins. Just the same as home improvements are part of owning a house getting it how you want it.

At least they will get the inconvenience in their own garden, and it won't involve potential damage to garden, property and car
    I've already said that it could go on for weeks, maybe months
    I never said about 5 mins.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »

Well planned and well executed extensions and renovations absolutely do benefit the neighbourhood or street by raising demand for properties in that area and thus raising the prices there. Many people who are looking to buy properties, especially for investment, will be looking at the kind of work residents have already done.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless someone needs a house extension due to sudden infirmity/disability, I see no point in it. Use the money to buy/rent a bigger house. Simples.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Unless someone needs a house extension due to sudden infirmity/disability, I see no point in it. Use the money to buy/rent a bigger house. Simples.

We estimated that our "Neighbour from Hell" spent well over £30K building an extra storey on his garage, to give his 3 bed detached house an extra bedroom and an ensuite.

Our house - which was only 3 bed semi - was approx £30 less value than the 4 bed detached houses in the village. We reckon his detached 3 bed was worth about £10-15K less than a 4 bed.
    So he spent £15-20K more than he needed, and could have just moved to a 4 bed in the same village, and saved over 10 grand after allowing for fees etc.

The 4 bed would have had a bigger garden, bigger downstairs as well as the extra room upstairs and still had the garage available to use.

Some people are just bloody minded !!!
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes lets spend more money on rent as opposed to improving your own property and adding value.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    We estimated that our "Neighbour from Hell" spent well over £30K building an extra storey on his garage, to give his 3 bed detached house an extra bedroom and an ensuite.

Our house - which was only 3 bed semi - was approx £30 less value than the 4 bed detached houses in the village. We reckon his detached 3 bed was worth about £10-15K less than a 4 bed.
    So he spent £15-20K more than he needed, and could have just moved to a 4 bed in the same village, and saved over 10 grand after allowing for fees etc.

The 4 bed would have had a bigger garden, bigger downstairs as well as the extra room upstairs and still had the garage available to use.

Its good you are deciding all this from guessing numbers. You have no idea whether he made or lost money.

It is true you very rarely make money on an extension, if it is well planned you can break even though. Any gain is from rising house prices.

What you do get however is the ability to build something that suits your specific requirements. You get to choose exactly what you want. You get to avoid the nightmare that is moving house. And you get the satisfaction of making your property substantially better.

Its not about being bloody minded.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »

Nothing wrong in spending money on your own home, my be that just like the house and the Neighbour they have.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Just more guess work from you and your family, You don't base anything on facts you just say what you assume is right don't you? There is no way you can know this for fact
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like the neighbour from hell. Why deny access? What harm could it do.

If my neighbour denied me access, bad things would happen, which could never be traced to me. Don't put yourself in that position without a really, really good reason.

Surely they wouldn't have to look further than next door .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Just more guess work from you and your family, You don't base anything on facts you just say what you assume is right don't you? There is no way you can know this for fact
    Not guesswork
    Whatever is necessary to maintain or repair on her house does NOT involve going onto their land, or inconveniencing them
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    I'm amazed at this attitude on what seems to be a point of principle as much as any specific concern. Why make life difficult for others?. I share boundaries with 6 neighbours and I think, with their permission of course, I have been on the property of 5 of them to carry out maintenance

The operative words there being 'permission' and 'maintenance.'
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not guesswork
    Whatever is necessary to maintain or repair on her house does NOT involve going onto their land, or inconveniencing them

I am a bit puzzled. If the two houses are snugly connected enough that the neighbours will need access, then how can you be so sure that your daughter NEVER will, in any circumstances?

Plus, how can you - and your daughter - know absolutely with no room for doubt at all, that from now at least until she & her husband retire, they will NEVER require the goodwill of their next door neighbours ?? Take in a parcel. Look after the kids in an emergency. Turn a blind eye to the occasional party/barbecue.
  • Options
    maddie_brundretmaddie_brundret Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    The one I would pity would be the builder, can you imagine what it would be like, I can dreadful.
    The builders are ones who would suffer.
    What a lot of pettyness (sp) there is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit puzzled. If the two houses are snugly connected enough that the neighbours will need access, then how can you be so sure that your daughter NEVER will, in any circumstances?

Plus, how can you - and your daughter - know absolutely with no room for doubt at all, that from now at least until she & her husband retire, they will NEVER require the goodwill of their next door neighbours ?? Take in a parcel. Look after the kids in an emergency. Turn a blind eye to the occasional party/barbecue.
    They are not joined together.
    As I said in a former post, my daughters house is separated from the other semidetached house by both adjoining driveways
    The neighbours will not be asked to take in parcels, there are no children,
    I said she will not need to use their property for any maintenance or repair
    If she needs help she has friends and mother and father in law who live a few doors down.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not joined together.
    As I said in a former post, my daughters house is separated from the other semidetached house by both adjoining driveways
    The neighbours will not be asked to take in parcels, there are no children,
    I said she will not need to use their property for any maintenance or repair
    If she needs help she has friends and mother and father in law who live a few doors down.

OK - You clearly know every nuance of every decision that your daughter and her husband are going to make about every aspect of their life forever. And are assuming that nothing will EVER happen that you or they could not have foreseen.