Options

Getting change in banks

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
I only have a Natwest account and would like to know if I can go into any non-Natwest bank and have, say, £100 in notes exchanged for £100 in £2 coins ?

Comments

• Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    It's possible, but maybe depends where you go. You might either get charged or told you need to go to your own bank. Some banks need you to pay it in to your account first and then withdraw it, for audit purposes. So if you dont have an account they cant/wont do it.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually you need an account with the bank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^that's what I was thinking too, darn it.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just go to your own bank

They will have money....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So just go to your own bank
    .. They will have money....
    Did that today, got a load of £2 coins, am returning most of them tomorrow. If I asked to get more they'd just "give" me those ones back, I'm after DIFFERENT ones, hence the "will other banks do that for me" question. Maybe other branches of Natwest will do it. :)
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Did that today, got a load of £2 coins, am returning most of them tomorrow. If I asked to get more they'd just "give" me those ones back, I'm after DIFFERENT ones

Pay them in then come back later? Pretty unlikely that you'd get the same ones.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Did that today, got a load of £2 coins, am returning most of them tomorrow. If I asked to get more they'd just "give" me those ones back, I'm after DIFFERENT ones, hence the "will other banks do that for me" question. Maybe other branches of Natwest will do it. :)

Why would you get a load today, return them tomorrow. then ask for them to get you more, why are you after different ones ? most confusing
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    This sort of thing could be flagging up something dodgy possibly going on.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you're after certain date or type coins....why not have a word with the staff? they might be happy to have a look through their stock and see if theres anything you want and for a coffee or two at lunch time you get what you want... as if you don't ask you won't get.
  • Options
    meadows76meadows76 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Get the new ones before returning the ones you have.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have a Natwest account and would like to know if I can go into any non-Natwest bank and have, say, £100 in notes exchanged for £100 in £2 coins ?

Most banks would oblige, especially if you'd bagged it up first.

Which ones you after? - the Commonwealth Games ones, perhaps. I know they're scarce + there are other quite rare examples.

You're best off moving from branch to branch so you're no constantly making an appearance at the same bank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Pay them in then come back later? Pretty unlikely that you'd get the same ones.
    She had to go into their safe to get me my bags which made me thinking they don't do much "trade" in those coins, not many people ask for them. And I don't think I have the balls (?) to say "hey, can I swap these bags for different bags". :p
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    So you're after certain date or type coins....why not have a word with the staff? they might be happy to have a look through their stock and see if theres anything you want and for a coffee or two at lunch time you get what you want... as if you don't ask you won't get.
    :o I don't think I could ask her to go through all their bags for me. Sure you don't know until you ask but methinks THAT would be asking too much.
    I'm after the different backings.
    blueblade wrote: »
    Which ones you after? - the Commonwealth Games ones, perhaps. I know they're scarce + there are other quite rare examples.
    Not sure of all the design available, should REALLY print off that page on the Royal Mint site. Got 2 of those Commonwealth ones, Scotland and England flag designs. plus:
    Charles Dickens, United Into One Kingdom, Darwin with his Monkey, Florence Nightingale, Cable across the Atlantic, First World War, The Underground, Abolition of Slavery in 1807, a Steam Engine, Brunel and his Bridge, Irons in the Fire (?), Robert Burns, Trinity House, and one about in victory magnanimity in peace godwill. :cool:

Plus any from 2015, cos they're nice and shiny. :p

(I was also trying to get one from each year - 1998 to 2015 - but kinda think that's going a bit too far.)