The Leftovers - Season 1 - US Pace (spoilers)

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    It is weird. It's feels like a long suicide note. The last episode with nora at the end I was shouting her to hug him. Weird as hell this show.

I didn't want her to hug him. He reminds me of the character in Star Trek V who takes people's pain away but at a price.

She might have held on to her grief too much but she should have allowed it to go away naturally.

I worry that he is either a fraud or is using 'magic'. If the rapture is real then magic (in the religious sense) would be real.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't want her to hug him. He reminds me of the character in Star Trek V who takes people's pain away but at a price.

She might have held on to her grief too much but she should have allowed it to go away naturally.

I worry that he is either a fraud or is using 'magic'. If the rapture is real then magic (in the religious sense) would be real.

Holy Mike has been a weird character but e seems the real thing. How he does it, that's the question. He seems somehow linked to the event and with him also predicting his own death soon....well, as you say...magic is around us.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reminds me of:
    Bones, you're a Doctor, you know that pain and hate can't be taken away at the wave of a magic wand, they're the things we carry with us, they're the thing that make us who we are. I don't want my pain taken away... I need my pain.
    - can't remember what I did last week but this I can (ish) :)

As for him being magically, I'm not sure we saw him do anything like that... yet. I thought he was just giving her permission to grieve, saying it was ok to let go, that she wasn't betraying her loved ones by loosening her grip on her grief (ish).
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see so many sticking with this show despite the fact that it is hella dark!! :o

Thought the last episode was on par with the episode about Chris Eccelston's character and as the series continues I'm enjoying Patterson Joseph's acting more and more. Always thought he would make a great Dr Who but it seems he might make a better villain! :cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finally caught up now and despite it being confusing and weird in equal measures, I think I'm enjoying it. I thought the most recent episode was the best. Nora is one of the most interesting characters and it was good to take the show out of Small Town America.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show more and more as it goes on, no idea what could be happening but I love it :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renewed for a second season
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renewed for a second season

Yah! Great news! :cool:

Not sure about that last episode... too much sheriff and not enough Wayne for my liking :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We gave this two episodes yesterday and I have to say I'm far more interested in where the disappeared went than how the people left behind cope and deal with it. I'm just not a fan of 'human drama', there's enough of that in our real lives.

But evidently the show doesn't really care about where the disappeared went, and so I don't think we'll continue, interesting-ish as the characters and their stories are, they aren't interesting enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    HBO have made some great shows over the years but I fear this ain't one of them.
    I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it picks up but I'm not hopeful.
    BTW, where did all the snow come from in ep2? Last week they were all in shirt sleeves.

Dialogue in ep 2 makes clear that "weeks and weeks" have passed between ep 1 and ep 2. Liv Tyler says it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice the English flag flying over the church?

It is a bit worrying that people who seem to have sinned have disappeared too. Does this mean it wasn't the Rapture or does this mean there is a question about who was good or not?

The show works on the assumption it was the Rapture, but could it have been aliens or something similar?

I also like the title of the episode 'Two Boats and a Helicopter', it is one of my favorite 'jokes' about religion.

It might make you think of the 'Rapture', but seeing as it doesn't strive to take the side of science or (ridiculous, made-up, outdated) religion, and has no interest whatsoever in explaining what happened, I wouldn't continue to try and work it out for yourself. It's not meant to be solvable, and will never be solved on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW has anyone in the show said that they have actually seen someone disappear? Or did everyone go when they were not being watched? If they were seen did they just blink out of existence or didn't they fly up into the sky or did a white light envelope them?

These are the sorts of questions we should have had answered by now.

Why does it matter, and why "should" they have been answered "by now"?

What happened to the people that went will *never* be answered, which is partly why I don't really care about the show. And that's not a guess or an assumption, it's part of the show's advertised basis, via Lindelof. The show is entirely about the people left behind, about whom I don't care at all on the basis of the first two eps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW has anyone in the show said that they have actually seen someone disappear? Or did everyone go when they were not being watched? If they were seen did they just blink out of existence or didn't they fly up into the sky or did a white light envelope them?
    These are the sorts of questions we should have had answered by now.
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Why does it matter, and why "should" they have been answered "by now"?
    What happened to the people that went will *never* be answered....

erm koantemplation wasn't asking why the show hadn't answered the big "why the heck did they go" question (which it never will/should), rather asking if the show had shown leftbehinders talk about their experience during leavingday, of seeing people there one sec and gone the next. (which is certainly a question the show would/should cover).
    I'm sure the leftbehinders talked about that stuff during the many weeks that the show hasn't covered, but maybe we'll be treated to some flashback eps where we see the chats :)

iirc we haven't had someone say they saw them go, all experiences describes/shown, like the lady whose baby went, and that oik in the fridge, those left whilst not being viewed by anyone. So maybe ONLY people who weren't being looked at were taken.
    btw: thinking about all those mad dogs, didn't they go loopy BECAUSE they saw their masters leave, so maybe a future ep will deal with a loopy person who saw someone go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Sheriff, his daughter and GR story line this episode, so all 3 characters I dislike in one lump.

The daughter's character (in writing terms) is terrible. US dramas really don't do teenagers well. And now she is with her mother and the GR.

I kept wanting Amy to smack Liv in the face to shut her up, what part of 'No Talking' doesn't she get?

The only saving grace is that Nora was in it and we now know she is the Priest's sister.

The GR really are an ugly lot, and not just in looks but in spirit. Even Amy Brenneman who is attractive physically doesn't come out of this looking good.

I can't tell what the GR are up to at the moment, they just seem intent of peeing everyone else off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^we've yet to see the GR stood outside a house, watching the owners, and them come out and offer the GR people a cup of tea and some biscuits, and possibly a chair or two to rest themselves on. Would they refuse, throw the offerings away, or just do nothing.
    We almost got that in the latest ep with the not-really-an offer of those tupperware cake thingies, but close is no cigar darn it. (maybe people did try doing that early on but soon found out it was pointless - darn those series time jumps :( )

And when will a deaf person come join the GR. I really want to know if signing is a no-no with the GR. And what do the GR do when faced with a blind person, do they stamp out a message on their pad in braile ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^we've yet to see the GR stood outside a house, watching the owners, and them come out and offer the GR people a cup of tea and some biscuits, and possibly a chair or two to rest themselves on. Would they refuse, throw the offerings away, or just do nothing.
    We almost got that in the latest ep with the not-really-an offer of those tupperware cake thingies, but close is no cigar darn it.

And when will a deaf person come join the GR. I really want to know if signing is a no-no with the GR.

I can't see the point of the 'No Talking' rule as they are still communicating when they write, and we've seen the Leader talk when she wants to.

Most people treat the GR with contempt because of what they've done in the past. I'm hoping there is some secret organization behind them using them to sow seeds of anarchy or something similar. The thing with the clothing is going to pee a lot of people off, especially if the clothing belonged to the departed as I suspect.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only saving grace is that Nora was in it and we now know she is the Priest's sister.

We knew that from the very beginning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Sheriff, his daughter and GR story line this episode, so all 3 characters I dislike in one lump.

The daughter's character (in writing terms) is terrible. US dramas really don't do teenagers well. And now she is with her mother and the GR.

I kept wanting Amy to smack Liv in the face to shut her up, what part of 'No Talking' doesn't she get?

The GR really are an ugly lot, and not just in looks but in spirit. Even Amy Brenneman who is attractive physically doesn't come out of this looking good.

I can't tell what the GR are up to at the moment, they just seem intent of peeing everyone else off.

Yeah, not a great episode after the last few have been very good.

I almost didn't recognise Liv Tyler in this but credit to her for taking such a "plain" role. I've always thought of her as being an attractive actress rather than a good actress but I have been quite impressed with her in this.

Nora is by far the most interesting character.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying watching the Chief unravelling (or whatever is happening to him) I wonder who he will end up as?

If the ever annoying Jill ends up with the GR, I wonder how her Dad's personalities will react.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Monday morning I download this and The Strain, and am surprising myself by now watching this first. Something about it has really got me hooked.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to watch the first eight episodes over the last few days

Brilliant show. Deffo the best new show of the year so far. It leaves me confused, it leaves me sad, it leaves me lost and it leaves me wanting more. The show is very much a strange look on death, but without the death. The many questions we ask. Where do people go when they die? Except this show deals with where are these people gone when alive. Are they alive? How do we live our lives when they are gone? Do we move on? Do we not?

Amy brenneman does not say a lot but she doesn't need to. Her facial expressions. Her body language. That tells me more as a viewer. She is fab.

Carrie **** as Nora is simply wonderful and out of this world. She has shown so many sides to Nora. She plays her as if she has been playing her for a long time. Her performance in episode 6 was stunning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Started to watch this show last week and am loving it! I love the pacing (though it may be slow to some) and the mood of the show. A shame there's only two episodes to go!

And I can honestly say I am far more intrigued to find out what happens with the existing characters and their stories in the show then what happened to The Departed.

Oh and JOHNSON! Loving Patterson Joseph too - it was a pleasant surprise to see him show up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrie **** as Nora is simply wonderful and out of this world. She has shown so many sides to Nora. She plays her as if she has been playing her for a long time. Her performance in episode 6 was stunning.

There should be a Emmy nomination for her for that episode. She's by far the most interesting character and the best actor in the whole ensemble.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Started watching episode 9 thinking it was going to be a bland episode, but then realised the clock was ticking to the end. Brilliant episode, brilliant series. I've no idea what I'm watching but i feel I'm watching something special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Started watching episode 9 thinking it was going to be a bland episode, but then realised the clock was ticking to the end. Brilliant episode, brilliant series. I've no idea what I'm watching but i feel I'm watching something special.

A good back ground episode, just a shame that everyone seemed to disappear off camera.

The only person who might have been seen disappearing was the one who went while they were holding hands to complete the circuit. So it seems they just blink out of existence, no flash of light or anything similar.

I just wasn't sure if the person in the circuit had someone looking at them or not, but they certainly had someone holding their hand when they went.