Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
  • Options
    CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only discovered this last week, and i have to say its one of the most genuinly hilarious programs on TV

I was literally crying laughing at the sushi belt in ep 1
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's lots of little things in the show that make me laugh like when in the 'previously in my life' where Stevie and Miranda are doing Making Your Mind Up and the skirt rips off revealing her pants or when she pushes Stevie over.

Tilly is my favourite character after Miranda, not sure why she's friends with Miranda though,
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    ..Tilly is my favourite character after Miranda, not sure why she's friends with Miranda though,

I assume Tilly and her 'cool kid' gang kept Miranda around more to laugh at than anything else - hence why they call her "Queen Kong".
    As for Miranda I suppose any attention was better than none. Bit sad really :(
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    The other thread seems more like an "Appreciation" thread. The show is dire it relies on poking fun at someone with fairly obvious mental problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pedro wrote: »
    The other thread seems more like an "Appreciation" thread. The show is dire it relies on poking fun at someone with fairly obvious mental problems.

A sort of Frank Spencer for 21st century, see what you mean.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    ...it relies on poking fun at someone with fairly obvious mental problems.

Erm... are you watching the same show as me?!?

I think she's wonderful and seems to remind people I know of... well me, which might explain why she makes me laugh.

I have no obvious mental problems btw.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Love the show and loved last night. Found Gary and Miranda together really touching and sweet.

HOWEVER - my husband's and my big fear:

If Miranda and Gary were to really get together, would it be the end for Miranda as a show?
    Please no.
    Could it develop further into a type of "Some Mothers do Have Them" type show? Or would this be a travesty?

I'm glad people are discussing this plot development. Although I enjoyed last night's episode I have to say I thought it seemed very random the way Gary came out with his big declaration of love (lust?) to Miranda almost out of the blue, particularly since he barely seems to have noticed her constant drooling over him in previous episodes. I was seriously expecting some sort of comedic twist or misunderstanding - although I hoped it wouldn't be a lazy "We see Miranda wake up with a start because it's all been a dream"... ;)

Does seem an odd turn of events though. I had thought "Miranda getting Gary" would have been one of these running sitcom storylines that just never actually happens - except maybe in the very last episode. Certainly odd to just throw it in halfway through a series, because you wonder where they can go with it now, with it kind of "hanging".
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is a very odd programme.

first time i saw it i HATED it, thought it was lame, not funny etc

then caught the S1 repeats and loved it. its very old fashioned and the jokes ARE cheesy but somehow it works. i would put this totally down to miranda hart herself. she got bags of charm i think and you completely get behind her
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Harrowing wrote: »
    A sort of Frank Spencer for 21st century, see what you mean.:D
    As the genuinely funny Frankie Howerd used to say "Don't mock the afflicted"...............................Ooo err missus!!! ;)
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I'm glad people are discussing this plot development. Although I enjoyed last night's episode I have to say I thought it seemed very random the way Gary came out with his big declaration of love (lust?) to Miranda almost out of the blue, particularly since he barely seems to have noticed her constant drooling over him in previous episodes. I was seriously expecting some sort of comedic twist or misunderstanding - although I hoped it wouldn't be a lazy "We see Miranda wake up with a start because it's all been a dream"... ;)

Does seem an odd turn of events though. I had thought "Miranda getting Gary" would have been one of these running sitcom storylines that just never actually happens - except maybe in the very last episode. Certainly odd to just throw it in halfway through a series, because you wonder where they can go with it now, with it kind of "hanging".

I think the viewers want to see Miranda and Gary get together but are amused when it inevitably goes wrong. I'm not necessarily of the opinion that it will kill the comedy if they do get together but it will certainly be interesting. Would love to see mo9re of Sally Phillips also :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this programme. I wish the bbc would put it on bbc 1 then it would get more ratings
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who's got the mental problem!? I've not seen anyone like that on the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    it's total cheese but totally brilliant, like Vicar of Dibley (my other guilty pleasure)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Would love to see mo9re of Sally Phillips also :o

If you have a red button thingy there's an interview with the Delightful Sally Philips wearing a foxy pair of specs.

It's about time she got her own show. I've been an admirer since Fist of Fun.
  • Options
    southbysouthby Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why sally philips has to bother with this drek is hard to fathom. she looks positively uncomfortable during the mugging/waving panto-style finale.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show. It's unashamedly old school sitcom but very knowingly so (like Miranda's look to camera when she said "This is like a French farce").

I think it's very well written even though it trawls all the old comedy clichés from slapstick pratfalls to being caught in embarrassing / compromising positions.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's consistenly funny. A very satisfied customer here.
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    I love this show but can any one answer this for me? yesterday there was a male ginger hitch hiker was it Tom Atkin that chef?
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hewjars wrote: »
    I caught this program last night and it is dire. Whoever comissioned this pile of dross needs their bumps feeling.

Whoever commissioned this is probably in line for a fat bonus given that it's that rare beast... a new comedy hit that's drawing in millions.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a little bit too much of a slapstick/French farce element to this episode for my liking. I prefer the more gentle interplay between the main characters, and the little asides to camera. That's only a minor criticism though, still loved the show.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever commissioned this is probably in line for a fat bonus given that it's that rare beast... a new comedy hit that's drawing in millions.

I must say that it was a very brave piece of commissioning - but a gamble which has paid off. Taking risks is exactly the thing that the BBC should be doing.

Recently, Rev and Miranda have both shown that there is an audience for traditional or "old style" comedy alongside more modern style stuff. If it's funny then that's all that matters.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people get 'lighthearted' mixed up with broad and lowbrow, and that annoys me because this is genuinely funny and extremely likeable. Just because something is easy to watch doesn't make it rubbish. Miranda Hart has worked her way up, been plugging away for years and I'm very glad that the BBC took a risk with this, because it's fantastic. Just like The Old Guys and Roger and Val, something that could go so wrong, but hasn't. I love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »
    I love this show but can any one answer this for me? yesterday there was a male ginger hitch hiker was it Tom Atkin that chef?

The hitchhiker was Richard Sutton.
    Mindbear wrote: »
    I think people get 'lighthearted' mixed up with broad and lowbrow, and that annoys me because this is genuinely funny and extremely likeable. Just because something is easy to watch doesn't make it rubbish. Miranda Hart has worked her way up, been plugging away for years and I'm very glad that the BBC took a risk with this, because it's fantastic. Just like The Old Guys and Roger and Val, something that could go so wrong, but hasn't. I love it!

I definitely agree there... and it IS unfortunate that the programme has that thorn in its side. One can never please everybody at the same time though, and personally, I am happy to be counted under the "love" category of this apparent "love it or hate it" show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As the genuinely funny Frankie Howerd used to say "Don't mock the afflicted"...............................Ooo err missus!!! ;)
    LOL. At least she's self-mocking and laughs at herself, whereas Frank was just a total loser who looked like he was wetting his pants whenever the Shed/Latest Job/Whatever fell apart around him :D

I like the comedy Miranda, BTW :)