Options

Does your town get very many American / Canadian tourists?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
Forum Member
Well, does it?

Also, have you seen Asian-American, Hispanic-American, or African-American tourists? (With the first two, I guess they would have to open their mouth to be identified as such)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    My local towns get hardly any foreign tourists at all. The only groups I've ever seen are foreign exchange students from Europe.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kc0ltv wrote: »
    Well, does it?

Also, have you seen Asian-American, Hispanic-American, or African-American tourists? (With the first two, I guess they would have to open their mouth to be identified as such)[/QUOTE]

?..why just the first two ?,

And seeing as you asked so nicely ..yes.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL no, nout to see in my town.

They are everywhere in Oxford though, one once took a pic of my dog (never mind me eh?!) :D
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Thankfully not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankfully not.

Why? I know I'd be happy if my town got a lot of foreign tourists (Canadians excluded, Canada's two hours away).
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, we get alot of Hispanic tourists here, but considering where Im from that shouldn't be too surprising should it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    At the risk of this sounding racist I find Americans really annoying outside of their own environment. In America they don't bother me but there have been a few occasions in places like London and Paris that I've come across them and they have bugged me so much. :o
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Yes we do, we get loads. It's great!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few as we have the leader of Clan Elliot living here. The Americans/Canadians love their Scottish heritage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    yeah, we get alot of Hispanic tourists here, but considering where Im from that shouldn't be too surprising should it?

I live in a rural area so we don't really have tourists, but when I do see tourists, like in St. Louis, there seem to be more from Asia than from Europe. Based on the discussions on this board, I wonder if Europeans stick more to the typical vacation spots like LA, Miami, and New York.

I shopped in Jonesboro, Arkansas this past December. At the mall I heard a lot of Asian languages being spoken. There is a University there so maybe most of them were visiting their kids rather than on vacation. Still, you don't expect a lot of Asian people in Arkansas. Of course, they can live in Arkansas, but you just wouldn't expect it.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if they are interested in lock making:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can usually spot tourists round here they're the ones wearing kilts. How I would know if any of them are American without them opening their mouth is a mystery.

Apart from John Barrowman we can't seem to get rid of him.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    At the risk of this sounding racist I find Americans really annoying outside of their own environment. In America they don't bother me but there have been a few occasions in places like London and Paris that I've come across them and they have bugged me so much. :o

I have to agree that has been my experience too, when we visit the US I am always struck by how much nicer the Americans are than the English, but when I have crossed paths with American tourists in Europe the opposite has been true. Weird, maybe only the mean, rich ones travel;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no memory of ever witnessing an American or Canadian tourist in my town. However, in the largest and nearest city, there are loads of tourists from all different places.
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    I live in a rural area so we don't really have tourists, but when I do see tourists, like in St. Louis, there seem to be more from Asia than from Europe. Based on the discussions on this board, I wonder if Europeans stick more to the typical vacation spots like LA, Miami, and New York.

I shopped in Jonesboro, Arkansas this past December. At the mall I heard a lot of Asian languages being spoken. There is a University there so maybe most of them were visiting their kids rather than on vacation. Still, you don't expect a lot of Asian people in Arkansas. Of course, they can live in Arkansas, but you just wouldn't expect it.

No, but after the Vietnam war, more and more Vietnamese migrated here so now there are several generations of people that this is their country. Make things more interesting that's for sure. I love the diversity.

I see many tour buses in the Dallas area and it always makes me wonder why are they here and what are they looking at? We don't much to show around here, at least, I don't think so.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    TxBelle wrote: »
    No, but after the Vietnam war, more and more Vietnamese migrated here so now there are several generations of people that this is their country. Make things more interesting that's for sure. I love the diversity.

I see many tour buses in the Dallas area and it always makes me wonder why are they here and what are they looking at? We don't much to show around here, at least, I don't think so.

Maybe they are looking for JR:D

You'd be amazed at how popular tours based on TV shows are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I have to agree that has been my experience too, when we visit the US I am always struck by how much nicer the Americans are than the English, but when I have crossed paths with American tourists in Europe the opposite has been true. Weird, maybe only the mean, rich ones travel;)

It's true that the Americans who travel overseas tend to be wealthier.

Just curious, what do Americans do to annoy you in Europe? Loud voices, pushy, etc.?
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true that the Americans who travel overseas tend to be wealthier.

Just curious, what do Americans do to annoy you in Europe? Loud voices, pushy, etc.?

Working in Central London i can honestly say the American tourists are no more annoying that those from an other country.

Although sometimes a little loud they are generally courteous if maybe a little naive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Working in Central London i can honestly say the American tourists are no more annoying that those from an other country.

Although sometimes a little loud they are generally courteous if maybe a little naive.
    I would agree with this. I like American tourists. They are loud, freindly and excitable but they do seem to really enjoy themselves when they come over here.
    The foreign visitors I hate are the racist ones. There are some, from especially from certain Eastern European countries, who are still openly very anti-jewish people and I find that really shocking in this day and age.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Notice them when in Edinburgh and also when I lived in York there seemed a lot of them. Baseball cap, shorts, poncho and camera round the neck - that's my view of a typical tourist lol. They are all incredibly friendly I find. Can't comment on the ethnicity of them as I haven't noticed
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    You can usually spot tourists round here they're the ones wearing kilts. How I would know if any of them are American without them opening their mouth is a mystery.

Apart from John Barrowman we can't seem to get rid of him.

John Barrowman is Scottish, he simply grew up in America from the age of about 5. His parents returned to the UK by the time he was an adult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourists in Rotherscum? Don't be daft.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Well, does it?

Also, have you seen Asian-American, Hispanic-American, or African-American tourists? (With the first two, I guess they would have to open their mouth to be identified as such)[/QUOTE]

?..why just the first two ?,

And seeing as you asked so nicely ..yes.

OP, you need to answer this question. The 3rd example could just be African. So surely the "opening of mouth thing" is applicable to all 3:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Yes. This is the home town of the Beatles. We get every tourist going.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    We get a famous American swimmer. Peter somebody or other.