Options

Digital Switchover & Retunes: London (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    I missed the ITV caption because I had switched over to C4 for the next switch off. How come you guys who saw it stayed on ITV? Were you not tempted to go straight to C4 in case you missed it going off?

No, although it initially cut to black, then started thrashing around, the carrier hadn't actually dropped, so I stuck with ITV !
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we get advance notice of switch off times for the 18th?

At a guess they may very well be at the first programme junction after midnight again. Going by the Digital UK Newsletter Channel 5 will be the last to go and may not disappear until as late as 9am on the Wednesday morning.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice the Arqiva light show is stated to be at 9.15pm on 18th April.

http://www.arqiva.com/corporate/digital-switch-over/digital-switch-over-london-region/switchovernight/

Shouldn't it be on the 17th April as switch over night is really the previous evening? By 9.15pm on 18th April it will all be over.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.arqiva.com/corporate/digital-switch-over/digital-switch-over-london-region/switchovernight/

Shouldn't it be on the 17th April as switch over night is really the previous evening? By 9.15pm on 18th April it will all be over.

That to give people time to rescan,;)
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member

Yes, it's to commemorate switching off analogue there's not much point doing it the night before when it's still on.

Also I suspect the engineers working on the switchover could do without Chris Evans, David Attenborough and other VIP guests there when they're about to do what they need to do!
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One question as analogue finally bows out of which I never discovered the answer to. Back in 1997 why was the decision taken to broadcast Channel 5 from Croydon and not Crystal Palace. I know this decision caused many problems for viewers who had their aerials aligned to Crystal Palace not to mention aerial contractors.Was it because there was not enough room in the equipment halls, also would it have meant too much disruption to existing services with shutdowns and extended periods of reduced power operation and antenna modifications. It seems to me when the decision was made to bring Channel 5 on air they virtually tore up the rule book in the procees. Also imagine this for a problem. How would an aerial contractor set about balancing a signal where BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, and Channel 4 were being broadcast with an ERP of 1000 kw and Channel 5 with only 10 kw ERP as was the case at Sandy Heath.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the BBC said there was no room on the CP mast - and there was also the question of the additional weight.But others have suggested this was a ''spoiling'' tactic as the BBC had no difficulty in adding various aerials of its own subsequently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I believe the BBC said there was no room on the CP mast - and there was also the question of the additional weight.But others have suggested this was a ''spoiling'' tactic as the BBC had no difficulty in adding various aerials of its own subsequently.

There was also the issue that Croydon was (at the time) an NTL owned site, so as NTL were building the C5 network, it was cheaper to provide the service from their own mast, rather than pay the Crown Castle (not the Beeb by then) mast rental space.

Same situation with SC/Lichfield, and Pontop/Burnhope,
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Same situation with SC/Lichfield, and Pontop/Burnhope,

Did C5 at Lichfield stay on air until 9am at DSO2 like C5 is scheduled to at Croydon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did C5 at Lichfield stay on air until 9am at DSO2 like C5 is scheduled to at Croydon?

No, it went off around 1am I think

Here's a You Tube video of the Arqiva bods shutting it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIki7CYc9o
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys

I have an old Pace freeview box which I have had since the demise of ONdigital. So it has done good service.

Since the London switchover it has lost the BBC channels (all of them) and using auto-update or loading the channels again does not help.

Is there a way of reloading it or has it finally come to its last days?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Probably end of its days.

There are threads about this at
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1648365
    and
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1185740
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys

I have an old Pace freeview box which I have had since the demise of ONdigital. So it has done good service.

Since the London switchover it has lost the BBC channels (all of them) and using auto-update or loading the channels again does not help.

No, ONdigital boxes will stop working at switchover, the new digital MUXs have a slightly different (and more efficient) transmission standard

Best just to get a new one, you'll be amazed how much better they've become since the ONd days
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys

That type of box ceases to work at switchover, due a mode change in the digital signal.
    Older On Digital and some early Freeview boxes (when Pace were still making them) that are not 8k compatible lose all remaining services at stage 2.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to those who posted with your advice, i will get a new one today.

I cant complain as I got plenty of faithful service....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you to those who posted with your advice, i will get a new one today.

I cant complain as I got plenty of faithful service....
    Even if you don't need it now, you might as well get one with HD capabilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    leslie123 wrote: »
    One question as analogue finally bows out of which I never discovered the answer to. Back in 1997 why was the decision taken to broadcast Channel 5 from Croydon and not Crystal Palace.
    Channel 5 awarded it's transmission contract to NTL, it was a unusual at the time as the contract was for for 'total' distribution of the channel - not just the transmitters

To save costs, and presumably to keep more control over their network, NTL decided to, where-ever possible, to transmit Channel 5 from their sites. Hence it came from Croydon and Lichfield rather than CP or Sutton Coldfield.

They could have co-sited at CP - NTL had their own part of the building but I suspect they'd have had to pay extra rent either for aerials on the towers (on sites where they did co-site they mostly had to add extra Channel 5 aerials lower down the mast) or rent for combiner space. So I suppose putting in UHF aerials at Croydon wouldn't have cost that much more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there also a sense that Ch 5 transmission/reception was going to be a compromise all round and that would have to be accepted, even to the extent of paying to send "technical" people round to every house to help retune VCRs or even filter out the new channel.

"Hi I'm from Channel 5. Would you like me to prevent your TV from receiving us?"

I presume the provider's licence cost reflected this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could have co-sited at CP - NTL had their own part of the building but I suspect they'd have had to pay extra rent either for aerials on the towers (on sites where they did co-site they mostly had to add extra Channel 5 aerials lower down the mast) or rent for combiner space. So I suppose putting in UHF aerials at Croydon wouldn't have cost that much more

They may have mitigated the cost of that, by offering ITV and C4 the standby Tx facility at Croydon, I think it became active around that time too. The BBC joined in much later, 2005 ish I think.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    During today's episode of Deal or No Deal this afternoon on Channel 4 Analogue there was a message popped up on screen telling us to Retune our Digital TVs or set top boxes on the 18th of April 2012
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During today's episode of Deal or No Deal this afternoon on Channel 4 Analogue there was a message popped up on screen telling us to Retune our Digital TVs or set top boxes on the 18th of April 2012

Will you put it on youtube?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Will you put it on youtube?
    I hope not!! :)
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about you albert, but the Channel 4 analogue signal has been atrocious here since DSO1 and I've no intention of watching it to spot any DSO messages!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    I don't know about you albert, but the Channel 4 analogue signal has been atrocious here since DSO1 and I've no intention of watching it to spot any DSO messages!
    Very strange. I hadn't tried it since DSO1, but I just had a quick look, and it seemed fine.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Very strange. I hadn't tried it since DSO1, but I just had a quick look, and it seemed fine.
    I do worry about my aerial system sometimes! In my case, since DSO1, BBC1 is not too bad, but significantly worse than before, ITV1 and C4 are poor.