Options

The Matt Cardle Appreciation Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• Options
    CardlescardieCardlescardie Posts: 4,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reads like a press release so I think it's probably true. Judging by the twitter reaction it seems like quite a few of us wondered when we saw that some of the people he has been working with over there are signed to EMI publishing.

Another indicators is the Higbarn gig (which i just didn't see Sony sanctioning)

It sounds like the classic musical differences, Matt wanted to go in a different direction and they didn't want that. It's hard to see what that means exactly, whether he has some outlandish ideas or whether they just wanted bland and no band we probably won't know until the album comes out.

I get the feeling that this is pretty old news again, in that the statement says he didn't renew his contract which I think was up some time ago.

I must say though, if this was his choice as the article seems to imply, I really admire his balls - setting up a new management company and leaving the safety of his record label takes guts.

It also seems to indicate that some of our various reservations about things that happened since winning X Factor, were also felt by him. Maybe we are more tuned in than we gave ourselves credit for!
    If we reckon the parting with Modest was around the time of Starlight, could this really have happened that long ago?
    I hope Matt gets totally his own way about his musical direction, but see earlier post, it's a shame I have such doubts (based admittedly on very little evidence) about the stuff in LA.
  • Options
    piebaldladypiebaldlady Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    Been quite a morning hasn't it just. Feel sorry for those affected re Boston but they must have had serious concerns to cancel, it wouldn't have been a decision taken lightly. As for the other article landed on the doorstep with a thud, well for me it's important to make and release the music he wants too, if that means a diff label a smaller label so be it :)
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It reads like a press release so I think it's probably true. Judging by the twitter reaction it seems like quite a few of us wondered when we saw that some of the people he has been working with over there are signed to EMI publishing.

Another indicators is the Higbarn gig (which i just didn't see Sony sanctioning)

It sounds like the classic musical differences, Matt wanted to go in a different direction and they didn't want that. It's hard to see what that means exactly, whether he has some outlandish ideas or whether they just wanted bland and no band we probably won't know until the album comes out.

I get the feeling that this is pretty old news again, in that the statement says he didn't renew his contract which I think was up some time ago.

I must say though, if this was his choice as the article seems to imply, I really admire his balls - setting up a new management company and leaving the safety of his record label takes guts.

Same here Wkd I know this is old hat too however I am still bemused by the facf that Will left MM and joined Matt its all interesting.;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been quite a morning hasn't it just. Feel sorry for those affected re Boston but they must have had serious concerns to cancel, it wouldn't have been a decision taken lightly. As for the other article landed on the doorstep with a thud, well for me it's important to make and release the music he wants too, if that means a diff label a smaller label so be it :)

Ditto Pie could not have put it more clearly myself.If it gives him more freedom to create work he feels happy with then so much the better. Good on him;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a press release statement? It coincides with Matt's return to the UK which makes me think it has to be.

I HEAR MATT CARDLE has parted company with his label Columbia following the end of his contract. The X factor 2010 winner who had a number one hit with his debut When We Collide, is currently in Los Angeles where he is recording new material. Matt, 29 wants to take his career in a different direction. A source close to the Essex hottie told me: "Everyone wishes him well."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    Ditto Pie could not have put it more clearly myself.If it gives him more freedom to create work he feels happy with then so much the better. Good on him;):D

I think between Matt and all of us, we'd all love him to put an album - and lots more - out that he wants to do and have the backing from a label as well.

Fingers crossed this means what we all have said we would want from a new album from him. I for one, am backing this and am sure it means good things for all involved.
  • Options
    Linda ShawLinda Shaw Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this moving away from Columbia will give Matt the freedom to take his music in the direction he wants it to go and not have to pander to what the industry thinks he should be recording. Not sure if this will mean delaying the album or not?? Let's hope the press don't see this as a negative situation and start saying that Matt has been dropped by the label etc etc. I hope Will has a press statement ready so he can deny any such rumours (if needs be) and let everyone know if Matt has signed to another label.

I do agree with Cardie that I really wanted the band to be more involved with the second album and that it wasn't full of collaborations from too many other writers. Hopefully this will still happen. I remember a post on MCAG from Mark Harker saying that if Matt's tour goes well he may make enough money to start the independent record label that he's always wanted to. This is something I'd much prefer than Matt being signed to another label.

I think going to America was a good thing in terms of Matt gaining experience of the industry and for him to network, but, like Cardie I was uncomfortable with him getting involved with reality tv and soap opera stars. Not sure how they fit in but maybe that was just him partying and letting his hair down?
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty positive if he had been dumped then the paper would have pointed it out no mistake. Do you reckon he will go to an independent?

much too early to say. I'm sure he'd rather be with a major label especially if he has international aspirations which he must have or he wouldn't have been in LA and he wouldn't be playing in Canada. I don't know when the decision was made but he made a few "it's all up in the air" comments during the tour. I remember reading that Joe's renew date was April but the actual decision to part company was made as early as February to I'm assuming that was similar. We know there was discussions about the band being involved in the album or not and Matt being keen to involve them what we don't know if which side of that fence the label was. We may never know.
    It also seems to indicate that some of our various reservations about things that happened since winning X Factor, were also felt by him. Maybe we are more tuned in than we gave ourselves credit for!
    If we reckon the parting with Modest was around the time of Starlight, could this really have happened that long ago?
    I hope Matt gets totally his own way about his musical direction, but see earlier post, it's a shame I have such doubts (based admittedly on very little evidence) about the stuff in LA.

LA is all about networking and he's been doing that. He's been hanging around with Nigel Lithgoe (who has connections to Idol and Simon Fuller - Cowell's nemesis) but you can't expect to go there and be rubbing shoulders with the A list in 3 weeks - it takes time and he's made a good start. As to the people he's been writing with, well I
    think we have to trust in Matt and I actually am less concerned about this knowing the label isn't behind it cos if it's Matt's decision I think he'll be fine.
    Is this a press release statement? It coincides with Matt's return to the UK which makes me think it has to be.

I isn't reported as a press release but it reads like a release there's a source close to Matt and a Columbia source and no agenda just reporting the facts - which usually means (like the Sarah split release) that they've put it out. The fact that it's the Mirror Group again also lends support to this conclusion.
    bluecandy5 wrote: »
    I think between Matt and all of us, we'd all love him to put an album - and lots more - out that he wants to do and have the backing from a label as well.

Fingers crossed this means what we all have said we would want from a new album from him. I for one, am backing this and am sure it means good things for all involved.

I agree - we may have to be patient re timing but it will be good for him to have more control and not to be subject to the pecking order of Sony artists release dates
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    I hope this moving away from Columbia will give Matt the freedom to take his music in the direction he wants it to go and not have to pander to what the industry thinks he should be recording. Not sure if this will mean delaying the album or not?? Let's hope the press don't see this as a negative situation and start saying that Matt has been dropped by the label etc etc. I hope Will has a press statement ready so he can deny any such rumours (if needs be) and let everyone know if Matt has signed to another label.

I do agree with Cardie that I really wanted the band to be more involved with the second album and that it wasn't full of collaborations from too many other writers. Hopefully this will still happen. I remember a post on MCAG from Mark Harker saying that if Matt's tour goes well he may make enough money to start the independent record label that he's always wanted to. This is something I'd much prefer than Matt being signed to another label.

I think going to America was a good thing in terms of Matt gaining experience of the industry and for him to network, but, like Cardie I was uncomfortable with him getting involved with reality tv and soap opera stars. Not sure how they fit in but maybe that was just him partying and letting his hair down?

where does Mark get the idea he wants to start and independent label> doesn't sound like Matt at all:confused:

Neillo already has one - just thought I'd throw that in:D
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Omg what is going on???!! I am super pissed off about Boston, can't even speak on that.

Now he's split with Columbia? We'd be very naive to think people won't take that as he's been dropped. This doesn't sound food to me at all, he was so enthusiastic about being signed to them.
  • Options
    Linda ShawLinda Shaw Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where does Mark get the idea he wants to start and independent label> doesn't sound like Matt at all:confused:

Neillo already has one - just thought I'd throw that in:D

No idea where Mark got the idead from! :confused:

Ah......... right. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Morning all

I've just caught up and am a bit lost for words :eek:

First of all I'm very disappointed for those of you who were going to the Boston gig but understand the reasons why it had to be cancelled. Safety is of utmost importance and to be honest wasn't sure if a sports hall was the right place to host a music gig.

As for the break up with Columbia, I am shocked. I didn't see that coming at all :eek: I'm not sure what to think. I just hope that the press don't turn this into a "Matt has been dropped" scenario :( I thought if anything we would hear that Columbia have taken over 100% and that Matt had left Syco.

Regarding the people that Matt has been linked to in the US, musically we don't really know what he's been doing except for the fact that he wrote a break-up song which was inevitable due to recent circumstances. Some of the people who have been mentioned were I think social contacts and nothing to do with his musical direction so not concerned with tweets from the likes of an actress, reality stars and Westlife wife.

I hope Matt is happy with his current situation but do worry that without a big label behind him he won't get the backing and media attention he will need when album number 2 is released. At the moment we don't even know if there's another label interested in signing him :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenJ wrote: »
    Morning all

I've just caught up and am a bit lost for words :eek:

First of all I'm very disappointed for those of you who were going to the Boston gig but understand the reasons why it had to be cancelled. Safety is of utmost importance and to be honest wasn't sure if a sports hall was the right place to host a music gig.

As for the break up with Columbia, I am shocked. I didn't see that coming at all :eek: I'm not sure what to think. I just hope that the press don't turn this into a "Matt has been dropped" scenario :( I thought if anything we would hear that Columbia have taken over 100% and that Matt had left Syco.

Regarding the people that Matt has been linked to in the US, musically we don't really know what he's been doing except for the fact that he wrote a break-up song which was inevitable due to recent circumstances. Some of the people who have been mentioned were I think social contacts and nothing to do with his musical direction so not concerned with tweets from the likes of an actress, reality stars and Westlife wife.

I hope Matt is happy with his current situation but do worry that without a big label behind him he won't get the backing and media attention he will need when album number 2 is released. At the moment we don't even know if there's another label interested in signing him :(

But all the songwriters he's been working with in LA are signed to EMI so there is a possibility that he left to go with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    But all the songwriters he's been working with in LA are signed to EMI so there is a possibility that he left to go with them.

I hope your right Broken. I don't like the thought of Matt not being signed to a label. I hope an official announcement is made soon to clear things up

I expect he will be asked about this today as I presume there will be press at the gig
  • Options
    chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member
    Disappointed but not really surprised about Boston - it always seemed a bit odd, and I think Matt and Will have done the right thing by not going ahead with it.

Regarding record labels - not sure what to think yet, but we were fairly certain that Chris Briggs was at the Hotel Cafe gig, weren't we? Wouldn't that indicate he was still with Sony? I can't imagine Matt funding a junket to LA on his own either...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DenJ wrote: »
    I hope your right Broken. I don't like the thought of Matt not being signed to a label. I hope an official announcement is made soon to clear things up

I expect he will be asked about this today as I presume there will be press at the gig

it may way well be that he has already signed for another label but if he hasn't it isn't necessarily a bad thing, There is a lot to be said for producing the album he wants and then finding a record label who likes it and wants to promote it rather than the other way around. That said if that's the way he is going it does mean he's funding the second one himself - which begs the question about how much money he has made from the tour etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Disappointed but not really surprised about Boston - it always seemed a bit odd, and I think Matt and Will have done the right thing by not going ahead with it.

Regarding record labels - not sure what to think yet, but we were fairly certain that Chris Briggs was at the Hotel Cafe gig, weren't we? Wouldn't that indicate he was still with Sony? I can't imagine Matt funding a junket to LA on his own either...

We know he was with someone called Chris and we assumed it was Chris Briggs - could have been anyone

I think it's unlikely that Sony is behind the LA trip and a decision like this is made and announced the day he comes back - it's just too quick. Then there's the thorny issue of copyright - if Sony has funded the trip then they own the copyright in the songs which is going to confuse matters

I believe this happened to Diana Vickers part way through her contract with RCA and the allowed her to take the songs when she went, assuming she'd go independent. Now she has signed with (Virgin I think) and apparently there is a copyright dispute that is delaying the release of her album - so lets hope that's not happening here.

ETA Tilly has just pointed out to me that Chris was probably Chris de Stefano
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm assuming on Matt's side of things that this has been known for some time yet he still went to LA to work with songwriters and I doubt it was self funded so someone must be behind him. That said, it seems too arse about face for him still to be with Sony and not with Columbia:confused: Also, someone on twitter said that Sony and EMI don't mix so it doesn't quite fit that he has been working with EMI writers if he is still with Sony.
  • Options
    tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member

No I think we later concluded that it was Chris de Stefano with him. But someone organised it because there is no way Matt would have had access to some of the social events over there if he went off his own back. Nor would he waste his own money on such an extravagance if he wasn't backed by someone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know he was with someone called Chris and we assumed it was Chris Briggs - could have been anyone

I think it's unlikely that Sony is behind the LA trip and a decision like this is made and announced the day he comes back - it's just too quick. Then there's the thorny issue of copyright - if Sony has funded the trip then they own the copyright in the songs which is going to confuse matters

I believe this happened to Diana Vickers part way through her contract with RCA and the allowed her to take the songs when she went, assuming she'd go independent. Now she has signed with (Virgin I think) and apparently there is a copyright dispute that is delaying the release of her album - so lets hope that's not happening here.

Ooops just seen the ETA and was bringing this over

Reply Retweet Favorite
    6 May Chris DeStefano ‏@destefanomusic
    Amazing show from @matt_cardle_uk last night at Hotel Cafe.

He was there:D
  • Options
    MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt working with EMI writers might not mean anything. Artists sign record deals with labels and publishing deals. It could be Matt had a record contract with Columbia (Sony) and publishing deal with EMI. Him working with songwriters from EMI might mean nothing.
  • Options
    tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member

It's all truely confusing and we might never hear. I initially thought it was Chris Briggs but it was Crabbie who raised the possibility of it bring De Stefano. He was writing with him at the time and that hadn't even crossed my mind at the time
  • Options
    chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member

ah, makes sense! I'm sure it'll all work out for the best - you can't keep talent like that down :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi chosen its all slightly misty at the moment however with regards to the sony situation its interesting. With regards the LA 'junket' as you refer to it well ....... The thing that keeps going through my mind why did Will leave MM where he had a good job and contacts? We know so little of what has gone on speculation one again. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mateja wrote: »
    Matt working with EMI writers might not mean anything. Artists sign record deals with labels and publishing deals. It could be Matt had a record contract with Columbia (Sony) and publishing deal with EMI. Him working with songwriters from EMI might mean nothing.

Matt did sign a publishing deal. Does anyone remember who with?
This discussion has been closed.