• Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Godfather - felt like it would never end
  • Options
    Austin_PearceAustin_Pearce Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (it scares me to death at the end)
  • Options
    SirPsychoSexySirPsychoSexy Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fight Club
    Shawshank

2 massively over rated films.
  • Options
    laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Gravity – Floating around in space, floating…floating….floating. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Raiders of the Lost Ark – Considered among the greatest movies of all time but is nothing more than your average adventure flick – not a bad one by any means but certainly not one of the best films ever.

Anything by the Coen brothers (with maybe the exception of No Country For Old Men) – Don’t ask me to explain why, I probably couldn’t even explain, but I’ve never connected with any of their films.

Jurassic World – Again, not terrible but nowhere near as good as everyone made out it was. Main story aside, every subplot was cliché-ridden, although the effects were fantastic.

Avatar – Three hours of nice, pretty CGI images with a very standard story.

Breakfast Club – Five teenagers, none of whom are particularly likable, fool around in detention and then have a long heart to heart at the end. No thanks.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Slumdog Millionaire

How it won best picture over Benjamin Button will always baffle me

The only thing I can think of is that it had a feel good factor
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravity – Floating around in space, floating…floating….floating. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Raiders of the Lost Ark – Considered among the greatest movies of all time but is nothing more than your average adventure flick – not a bad one by any means but certainly not one of the best films ever.

Anything by the Coen brothers (with maybe the exception of No Country For Old Men) – Don’t ask me to explain why, I probably couldn’t even explain, but I’ve never connected with any of their films.

Jurassic World – Again, not terrible but nowhere near as good as everyone made out it was. Main story aside, every subplot was cliché-ridden, although the effects were fantastic.

Avatar – Three hours of nice, pretty CGI images with a very standard story.

Breakfast Club – Five teenagers, none of whom are particularly likable, fool around in detention and then have a long heart to heart at the end. No thanks.

I didnt like No country for Old men either, i dont think the coen brothers have done any good films. Like Donnie Darko, i maybe just dont 'get' them.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt like No country for Old men either, i dont think the coen brothers have done any good films. Like Donnie Darko, i maybe just dont 'get' them.

Their work can be very good or, well, not very good. I recently tried to watch Gambit, starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz and Alan Rickman and written by the Coens.. It's one of their satires on the grotesque rich and it's grim stuff, almost unwatchable. Yet their screenplay for Bridge of Spies is superb.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Their work can be very good or, well, not very good. I recently tried to watch Gambit, starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz and Alan Rickman and written by the Coens.. It's one of their satires on the grotesque rich and it's grim stuff, almost unwatchable. Yet their screenplay for Bridge of Spies is superb.

I thought Fargo was awful. Didnt understand the fuss about it at all.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Citizen Kane. I have tried to 'get' it but I can't see what the fuss is about.

Scent of a Woman. Still don't get why Al got an oscar for that film/performance. For me it was just about an arrogant bloke shouting 'hoo aaah' all the time.

The Revenant. The 'baddie' mumbled his way through all of his scenes. Brutal stuff. But the scenery was nice, I'll give it that.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donnie Darko. I possibly just didnt 'get' it, but i thought it was a load of sh*te

Thats one of my favorite movies ever :p
  • Options
    TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people need to learn to differentiate between films that are actually bad and films which are just not for them.

For example MM Fury Road didn't really do it for me but I wouldn't say it's a bad film cause I can appreciate that it's well done and fans of the genre will love it but it's just not for me.
  • Options
    Goggle girlGoggle girl Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Really cannot fathom why anyone liked that film.

More recently, and I know this will be controversial - The Revenant (puts on tin hat). He is really able to keep his tinder dry enough after being swept down waterfalls and miles of raging river to light a fire when he eventually gets to the bank? The horse dies but he lives without serious injury and emerges from said horse without entrails & blood covering him from head to toe? Wild animals were not attracted to the severed guts of said horse? And so on. I will never get those 2 hours of my life back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't really rate Wolf of Wall Street much either, and that is one LONG film.
  • Options
    Goggle girlGoggle girl Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot: The Shawshank Redemption. I keep hearing that this is an uplifting film, don't see it myself. Was hugely dissapointed.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really rate Wolf of Wall Street much either, and that is one LONG film.

I absolutely detested the film. I kept watching hoping for something to redeem itself but no. I actually felt like I needed a shower after watching it. It was so morally repugnant. Mind you I find a lot of Scorcese films like that. Other films mentioned on here too that I agree are crap - No Country for Old Men - couldn't get into it at all. Slumdog Millionaire actually annoyed me for some reason. One of the most lauded ones that is really :confused::confused: for me is Lost in Translation. What the hell was that about. So boring.

I did like Donnie Darko though! And having to study film theory at uni we were constantly told by the intellectuals that Citizen Kane was the greatest film of all time. I can honestly say everyone in our group thought it was rubbish! I think a lot of lecturers and film critics just do what I call 'intellectual wanking' and jump on the same bandwagon.

Look at the latest poll of best films in the 21st century. Mullholland Drive :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    And having to study film theory at uni we were constantly told by the intellectuals that Citizen Kane was the greatest film of all time.

Doesn't studying film at degree level make you one of those intellectuals?
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Deer Hunter - Far too long, lots of inaccuracies and things that didn't really make sense. I did really like Walken in it though.

Another vote for the Deer Hunter. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it- if you can "enjoy" such subject matter - but the pacing is terrible - too much time spent on the wedding and their lives pre Vietnam. Too little time on what came after. Just can't see where all the acclaim comes from

Whilst I enjoyed the Deer Hunter, I can't say the same about Sideways. I turned it off after about 15 minutes. Too dull.

And anything by Quentin Tarrintino leaves me cold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I absolutely detested the film. I kept watching hoping for something to redeem itself but no. I actually felt like I needed a shower after watching it. It was so morally repugnant. Mind you I find a lot of Scorcese films like that. Other films mentioned on here too that I agree are crap - No Country for Old Men - couldn't get into it at all. Slumdog Millionaire actually annoyed me for some reason. One of the most lauded ones that is really :confused::confused: for me is Lost in Translation. What the hell was that about. So boring.

I did like Donnie Darko though! And having to study film theory at uni we were constantly told by the intellectuals that Citizen Kane was the greatest film of all time. I can honestly say everyone in our group thought it was rubbish! I think a lot of lecturers and film critics just do what I call 'intellectual wanking' and jump on the same bandwagon.

Look at the latest poll of best films in the 21st century. Mullholland Drive :confused:

Thank you for reassuring me I am not alone in my bafflement regarding Citizen Kane.
    I swear people think I'm just saying it to wind them up, but I just do not get it.
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people here probably won't have seen it yet but Viggo Mortensen's latest film "Captain Fantastic".

it scores 8.1 on IMDB but after the first half hour the smug family were annoying me so much (another of those "How are they affording this lifestyle?" films) that I just had to leave then you check out the IMDB reviews and you see the 1st comment

"This is simply the best movie I have seen since Shawshank Redemption"
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Miss Sunshine:
    A nice, perfectly serviceable movie that you might watch on a lazy Sunday to while away a couple of hours. Worthy of the widespread acclaim it received, and oscar nominations to boot?! Hell no.

Lost In Translation:
    I just didn't get it at all.

Gravity:
    No real story, just great special effects.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    If I had to point at just one in particular it would probably be Schindler's List. It's the alleged holocaust film that makes the holocaust seem not that bad. Giving in to one of his worst tendencies, Spielberg once again sugar's the pill and we get film that's nothing like as hard-hitting as it could've been (and maybe should've been).

For an overrated concept - deconstructions. Fine if you want to be flattered, but many have little more to offer than that.

I've found most Spielberg films to be incredibly sentimental and sugary. I don't think S/List is the masterpiece it was hailed as either.

My favourite of his was 'Munich'. One of the lesser known ones. You need to watch it a few times to get the gist of it.

Sorry, not really 'on thread'!
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Doesn't studying film at degree level make you one of those intellectuals?

well the film theory was only part of the degree. It was very varied. As much as I though I'd love to write about films I watched, it became quite tedious. In fact after the three years, you tended to watch all films and apply theory to them instead of actually enjoying them as a film. I actually stopped watching films for many years and don't watch that many now.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,045
    Forum Member
    Interstellar
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Revenant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the film theory was only part of the degree. It was very varied. As much as I though I'd love to write about films I watched, it became quite tedious. In fact after the three years, you tended to watch all films and apply theory to them instead of actually enjoying them as a film. I actually stopped watching films for many years and don't watch that many now.

That's not good!

I found myself doing that with the car chase in Jason Bourne - and I've never even studied film theory. But it was so long, and so stylised, I couldn't help analysing the technique instead of just watching it. In cases like that, it's surely the film that's to blame.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get the fuss with Inception. It seemed like a very old Sci-Fi idea with an unnecessarily convoluted plot.