Options

GCSE requirement for cleaning job?????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking a part-time job for extra cash at xmas and do not mind if it is temporary, this is taking things to a whole new level. Anyone care to elaborate on why someone would need a GCSE to do a cleaning job?
Job Description

Comments

• Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they either a) want to exclude foreign workers or b) just want someone who has passed grades to prove they're reliable? I mean, most people should be able to pass GCSEs at grade C, so maybe they want to exclude people too slow to do that (it can be a drain on management resources to work with someone 'thick'), or those who could have passed but couldn't be bothered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four GCSE's grades A-C? I can only assume they've put that to whittle down the number of applicants.
  • Options
    tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you have young people with degrees going for 15K admin jobs - blame Tony Blair.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you have young people with degrees going for 15K admin jobs - blame Tony Blair.

15K for an admin job isn't bad - when you consider that some companies are offering science jobs requiring a science degree for less than that.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe they want some one who will understand health and safety COSHH etc sometimes cleaners will have to use various chemicals etc and the company will need to make sure that they are covered etc
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are three grammar errors in the bit that asks for a qualification including English Language. Marvellous. Asking for that will be to screen people out a little and keep applications to a manageable number. It makes it easier at the recruiter's end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    15K for an admin job isn't bad - when you consider that some companies are offering science jobs requiring a science degree for less than that.

It is when they're expecting 25K grad jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is when they're expecting 25K grad jobs.

I was commenting on the pay for an admin job (which presumably doesn't require the degree that the graduate has) as opposed to the pay for an actual graduate job which does require a degree. I wasn't commenting on what the graduate's expectation is/was.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well about time is all I can say, I know popular view is even a monkey could do a cleaning job but with chemicals and coshh and possibly working with equipment that can be very dangerous you do need some sort of brain in your head and to be able to speak and read English and understand it too.

Would be good to have some sort of test of a persons common sense before employing them would be good too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    There are three grammar errors in the bit that asks for a qualification including English Language. Marvellous.

Presumably the person who wrote the advert only had a C ;)
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably the person who wrote the advert only had a C ;)

Heh. I'm refusing to comment on the grounds that it could trigger a pile-on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was commenting on the pay for an admin job (which presumably doesn't require the degree that the graduate has) as opposed to the pay for an actual graduate job which does require a degree. I wasn't commenting on what the graduate's expectation is/was.

Thanks to Tony Blair any mediocre has a degree, so they can't get a degree standard job, they are going for 20K admin jobs that people with A-Levels usually go for.

As an employer, who would you pick - A-Level or the one with the degree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Heh. I'm refusing to comment on the grounds that it could trigger a pile-on.

Well it's true - you only need to get about 55% correct to get a C at GCSE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=DianaFire;62479998]There are three grammar errors in the bit that asks for a qualification including English Language. Marvellous. Asking for that will be to screen people out a little and keep applications to a manageable number. It makes it easier at the recruiter's end.[/QUOTE]

The irony:)
    on top of that a lot of jobs are asking for security clearances, maybe in the tax office
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a sign of the current job market. Demand for jobs outstrips supply so employers can be afford to be very picky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galaxy99 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=DianaFire;62479998]There are three grammar errors in the bit that asks for a qualification including English Language. Marvellous. Asking for that will be to screen people out a little and keep applications to a manageable number. It makes it easier at the recruiter's end.

on top of that a lot of jobs are asking for security clearances, maybe in the tax office[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily I am cleared to work where I do and it's a publishers office I am crb checked for an adult school and security cleared to a higher level for work in a designers office. They need honest people in cleaning many of us work alone with no one to see what we may take our pay is low so they think temptation to pass on company info is greater too I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's just a sign of the current job market. Demand for jobs outstrips supply so employers can be afford to be very picky

Aye, my grandparents could sack one job in the morning and get another in the afternoon - it was when employers were begging for employees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    on top of that a lot of jobs are asking for security clearances, maybe in the tax office

Not necessarily I am cleared to work where I do and it's a publishers office I am crb checked for an adult school and security cleared to a higher level for work in a designers office. They need honest people in cleaning many of us work alone with no one to see what we may take our pay is low so they think temptation to pass on company info is greater too I guess.[/QUOTE]

You've no experience - so it's a waste of time you training.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Does seem a bit silly tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily I am cleared to work where I do and it's a publishers office I am crb checked for an adult school and security cleared to a higher level for work in a designers office. They need honest people in cleaning many of us work alone with no one to see what we may take our pay is low so they think temptation to pass on company info is greater too I guess.

You've no experience - so it's a waste of time you training.[/QUOTE]

Experience of what and training for what ?

I have 35 years of experience of cleaning industry and trained to use most equipment including fork lift truck.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, imagine educating the plebs? What were they thinking!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've no experience - so it's a waste of time you training.

I have 35 years of experience of cleaning industry and trained to use most equipment including fork lift truck.[/QUOTE]

Over qualified, you've more brains than the manager - he's not going to employ you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Yes, imagine educating the plebs? What were they thinking!?

Well to be honest it's why we have the situation now - degrees are worthless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 35 years of experience of cleaning industry and trained to use most equipment including fork lift truck.

Over qualified, you've more brains than the manager - he's not going to employ you.[/QUOTE]

I'm working - I don't understand why you would say that I have never had any great difficulty getting a job, references when taken up ensure that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over qualified, you've more brains than the manager - he's not going to employ you.

I'm working - I don't understand why you would say that I have never had any great difficulty getting a job, references when taken up ensure that.[/QUOTE]

A lot of it is pure luck or you know the right people.