Constructive Criticism Needed!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hi guys,

I came on here a few months back with the 1st singing video I made. You guys seem to be the best at dishing out the criticism, no matter how brutal!

So, here's another!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXeOt1E5GI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Sorry, tried having a look but wouldn't load. Youtube is being a pig at the moment.
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was lovely :) You have a great voice.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not really a 'video' for a start but ignoring that - it was alright. Not sure I'd go any further than that. Bit 'whiny' for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I agree with the video part - it works best if the viewer can see you singing rather than just a pic.

it was ok - you have a lovely voice but I felt some of the notes were too low for you, i think song choice is a big issue with a lot of your vids, you definitely have the voice but seem to just sing popular 'singer songs' - at risk of sounding like a talent show judge, you need to figure out your style, and what songs suit your voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice voice but not the kind of music I like. Not a video either. I like to see the person singing.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have a lovely voice, but there's nothing to set it apart from thousands of others. Maybe it's the song (not one I'm familiar with, I must admit) but it lacks "depth" for want of a better term. You're missing something, but I'm not sure what to call it. Authenticity, soul??? Perhaps. It may be that you'll develop those qualities in time. How old are you?
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can certainly sing but there's no real performance or emotion - it just felt like a competent reproduction of the song, if you see what I mean. That could be because it's been performed in a pretty sterile environment but it makes it a bit soulless.

It would be better to pick a song that has some emotional content you can relate to - and perform it on video - that would give us some idea about you as a performer. Music isn't just a technical skill it's a form of emotional expression, communication. It didn't communicate to me I'm afraid (but I think you do have a very nice voice).
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speaking as someone in the biz, so to speak.....

You'd probably make a decent backing singer, but that's as far as I'd go. Your voice is peasant but not distinctive enough for you to make it as a lead vox. Plus, as others have said, there's no emotion. Music isn't meant to be perfect, if singing with passion means you hit a duff note or get a little shouty at times, so what? At least we'd know you meant what you're singing
    Also, one final point, the key is too high for you, it needs to be a semitone to a tone lower.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    speaking as someone in the biz, so to speak.....

You'd probably make a decent backing singer, but that's as far as I'd go. Your voice is peasant but not distinctive enough for you to make it as a lead vox.
    Also, one final point, the key is too high for you, it needs to be a semitone to a tone lower.

You beat me to it, was just going to say it is in wrong key.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You beat me to it, was just going to say it is in wrong key.

great minds etc ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!!

RE the video, the only recordning device I have is my phone, and it isn't great, Maybe I should get myself a decent camera!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Others have said what I was going to say: pleasant enough voice, a bit shaky on the top notes, and a bit thin. Nothing that a few lessons wouldn't sort out, you'd also find a better key for you. I liked it - with those provisions.