Options

Unemployed to cook for pensioners (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »

It has been estimated that these nutters have thrown away almost £2b on their hairbrained 'reforms'. As a result, 3 new food banks a week are springing up, the NHS is in chaos, families are being threatened with eviction, job seekers are being sanctioned to meet targets, the sick are being turfed off benefits by Atos jobsworths, ...all while the Bullingdon Boy is quaffing £45 bottles of champers while entertaining Millionaire Tory donors at the conference.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree but what amazes me is people actually fall for their shit :confused:, honestly they must be completely thick or have no idea about current affairs
    Never Nude wrote: »
    The saddest part of all is that people are swallowing this type of crap. The government must be laughing at how easily this type of thing is accepted, its quite amazing how quickly those at the bottom turn against each other. We are doing the hard work for them.

Its is indeed a horrible time

I know - and it amazes me too - there was anger and much more political awareness and action in the eighties. It wasn't all good, but people just didn't 'roll over'.

And they didn't think the poor and unemployed were automatically crap either.

I despair, really.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

'These are people who have been unemployed for three years and we’re saying in return for that you’ve either got to do some work in your community like cleaning the graffiti up or cooking meals for the elderly or you’ve got to be signing on every day at the Jobcentre, or you need to be getting real help with some of, perhaps, your underlying problems like a drug problem or illiteracy.

What about the people who are already doing these jobs and are been laid off.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    karijn wrote: »
    It has been estimated that these nutters have thrown away almost £2b on their hairbrained 'reforms'. As a result, 3 new food banks a week are springing up, the NHS is in chaos, families are being threatened with eviction, job seekers are being sanctioned to meet targets, the sick are being turfed off benefits by Atos jobsworths, ...all while the Bullingdon Boy is quaffing £45 bottles of champers while entertaining Millionaire Tory donors at the conference.

this post sums it up for me,

I can honestly say I HATE Osborne and Cameron, IDS that prat who 'leads' the lib dems oh f@ck it I hate the lot of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can honestly say I HATE Osborne and Cameron, IDS that prat who 'leads' the lib dems oh f@ck it I hate the lot of them.

Seconded.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know - and it amazes me too - there was anger and much more political awareness and action in the eighties. It wasn't all good, but people just didn't 'roll over'.

And they didn't think the poor and unemployed were automatically crap either.

I despair, really.

I think this is a reflection of modern day politics (can't really compare them to the 80s since I wasn't born :o). People have lost faith in the politicians and politics itself. All the parties are going after the populist centre vote and there is a feeling of why should I bother, I can't change anything and they are all the same anyway. We are underpaid, overworked, social mobility is at its lowest then it has ever been, its no wonder that so many are swallowing such lies and demonising the unemployed
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member

I'm with you on that...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    People have used the word "menial", even "degrading", to refer to these cleaning and cooking jobs. Do they not realise, people do these jobs for years? Sure, I disagree with this plan because people should be paid fairly, but it is quite telling when people come out with terms like degrading to describe jobs like this.

I suppose they think legitimate, full time cleaning jobs like this are beneath them and so are not applying for them?

I made this point earlier: it devalues the people that are paid to do these jobs to equate them with "community service" type work. Cooking, whether it is for Sketch or Sunny Days Care Home for the Elderly requires some skill and passion to serve people. A person may be a street sweeper because they want the area to look nice and they like working outdoors. I think it says a lot about those that are proposing the unemployed do them lest they be workshy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I think this is a reflection of modern day politics (can't really compare them to the 80s since I wasn't born :o). People have lost faith in the politicians and politics itself. All the parties are going after the populist centre vote and there is a feeling of why should I bother, I can't change anything and they are all the same anyway. We are underpaid, overworked, social mobility is at its lowest then it has ever been, its no wonder that so many are swallowing such lies and demonising the unemployed

I think many are demoralized - but the VITRIOL, the ignorance and the acceptance of government spin on these issues, that's worse now, worse than I've ever seen it.

Perhaps it's fear that it'll happen to them, or anger that even as a working person it's hard.

But the irrationality of it all bewilders me.

Only 3% of the benefit budget goes on JSA, and a tiny proportion of them are wasters.

Attacking them as this government has probably costs more than it saves, and causes huge hardship and misery.

It's POLITICAL in the worst possible way.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karijn wrote: »
    all while the Bullingdon Boy is quaffing £45 bottles of champers while entertaining Millionaire Tory donors at the conference.

You do realise the Labour front bench has seven millionaires sat on it including darling leader Red Ed Miliband, who lives in a £2.3 million house? And who could forget the other Ed:
    The Balls family have gone from wonks to millionaires entirely out of the public purse. The power couple had a joint income of almost £300,000 per annum for the half a decade during which both public schoolboy Ed and Yvette held high office. After years of jumbo expense claims, ‘flipping’ their main home not once but three times, you can see why the Ballses managed to collect properties worth well over a million.

And as for the "bullingdon boys" thing.. they all went to the same schools.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think many are demoralized - but the VITRIOL, the ignorance and the acceptance of government spin on these issues, that's worse now, worse than I've ever seen it.

Perhaps it's fear that it'll happen to them, or anger that even as a working person it's hard.

But the irrationality of it all bewilders me.

Only 3% of the benefit budget goes on JSA, and a tiny proportion of them are wasters.

Attacking them as this government has probably costs more than it saves, and causes huge hardship and misery.

It's POLITICAL in the worst possible way.

It really worries me to see the extent of that vitriol, especially as it is based on nothing but government lies and media spin. Why do people believe such hot air? I have no idea.

Too young to remember if it was any different in previous times but the amount of hatred I see towards the unemployed is staggering, why is it happening? I have no idea. I wonder if the chav stereotype and jeremy kyle shows have anything to do with it, being unemployed and the stereotype of wearing tracksuits, drinking lager on a bench all day, yobbish and refusing to work now seems to have been completely merged. Apart from that I have no answer whatsoever
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    yep and they are paid to do these jobs, degrading comes into it when you are forced to do it for basically nothing.

Yeah, which is exactly why I said later in that same post how I disagreed with people not getting paid properly. I do get the impression though that people find certain jobs degrading or beneath them or 'menial', which was another term that was used, and so do not even apply for them. I think if you've been unemployed for years, you should be prepared to look for cleaning jobs and things like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    What sort of food are they going to cook?
    Pensioners may have simpler tastes so they may not want curries, pasta and the like.

When a elderly family member had cancer they had a "carer" come in every lunch time to "cook". The "cooking" consisted of putting soup in a bowl and then putting it in the microwave, shoving it on the tray and then rushing out the door. This was presumably a fully qualified person doing this. This went on until other family members had enough and stepped in and took over.

I can only imagine what is going to happen when an untrained harcore doley doing it for nothing comes in. They'd probably be lucky to get a rich tea on a saucer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    When a elderly family member had cancer they had a "carer" come in every lunch time to "cook". The "cooking" consisted of putting soup in a bowl and then putting it in the microwave, shoving it on the tray and then out the door. This was presumably a fully trained person doing this. This went on until other family members had enough and stepped in and took over.

I can only imagine what is going to happen when an untrained doley doing it for nothing comes in.

Probably a minimum paid worker with a huge caseload from a private company subcontracted from the council.

It's all gone tits up, truly.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unemployed to be cooked for pensioners

That's better!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Probably a minimum paid worker with a huge caseload from a private company subcontracted from the council.

It's all gone tits up, truly.

Oh I agree for sure. Just entertaining the idea that anyone on this scheme *risks* having a curry cooked from scratch for them is, well, absurd!
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Oh I agree for sure. Just entertaining the idea that anyone on this scheme *risks* having a curry cooked from scratch for them is well, absurd!

It's not that difficult to rustle up a decent curry from scratch. Could probably teach someone how to do it in under an hour.

Yes, I know that probably wasn't the point you were making :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree for sure. Just entertaining the idea that anyone on this scheme *risks* having a curry cooked from scratch for them is, well, absurd!

It is. And talking about absurd - this made me laugh:D:D:D
    Unemployed to be cooked for pensioners

That's better!

And cheered me up, strangely.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the people who are already doing these jobs and are been laid off.

Who said anyone will be laid off , how long does graffiti sit on walls without being cleaned at present ( I can point out some I have seen in situ for two years) so I doubt anyone will be laid off by them cleaning it. Meals on Wheels is a voluntary service from the RVS (formerly known as WRVS) I am sure their volunteers would be happy to have their workload reduced or be able to focus on other things as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Yeah, which is exactly why I said later in that same post how I disagreed with people not getting paid properly. I do get the impression though that people find certain jobs degrading or beneath them or 'menial', which was another term that was used, and so do not even apply for them. I think if you've been unemployed for years, you should be prepared to look for cleaning jobs and things like that.
    Hmm... I suppose it depends on the level of qualifications a person has before unemployment. Say you are an accountant and you haven't been able to find a job in awhile. If you apply for a cleaning job, the employer may not hire you because they think you will up sticks once a better job comes along.

I can remember being willing to take anything when I was unemployed and I was only unemployed for a couple of months. My caseworker at the JC would tell me that I was too overqualified for certain jobs and didn't put my name forward for them. I found my job on my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who said anyone will be laid off , how long does graffiti sit on walls without being cleaned at present ( I can point out some I have seen in situ for two years) so I doubt anyone will be laid off by them cleaning it. Meals on Wheels is a voluntary service from the RVS (formerly known as WRVS) I am sure their volunteers would be happy to have their workload reduced or be able to focus on other things as well.

I suppose two years is when the cuts started, though you could have a fairly lazy council. Maybe they just don't have enough people to do it. Who's going to train them to use the cleaning equipment and protective gear? Graffiti is cleared fairly rapidly where I live. You can tweet the council to clear up mess.

This scheme seems like it would cost a lot to produce a very little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... I suppose it depends on the level of qualifications a person has before unemployment. Say you are an accountant and you haven't been able to find a job in awhile. If you apply for a cleaning job, the employer may not hire you because they think you will up sticks once a better job comes along.

I can remember being willing to take anything when I was unemployed and I was only unemployed for a couple of months. My caseworker at the JC would tell me that I was too overqualified for certain jobs and didn't put my name forward for them. I found my job on my own.

This is a massive issue for me.

I'm working but it's unreliable and I really need steady money. But I'm hugely qualified and a middle aged woman.

I'm willing to accept anything I can do, but i get no responses.

I feel like I'm on the scrap heap, to be honest. And there are a lot like me about, sadly.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Around by me, they are supplied by a private company called Apetito.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    You do realise the Labour front bench has seven millionaires sat on it including darling leader Red Ed Miliband, who lives in a £2.3 million house? And who could forget the other Ed:

And as for the "bullingdon boys" thing.. they all went to the same schools.

Who mentioned Labour? This thread is about this government and its reforms.

It's both courteous and customary to post a link with a quote. Any idea how the Chillaxer got his job in politics? Did you know Osborne's mum was a Labour voter? ....

The Bullingdon Boys have nothing to do with going to the same schools, as well you know.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But at the same time surely charities want and need willing volunteers? Not reluctant people who have been sent to them by force.