Options

How often do you use cash these days?

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Yesterday I was in the supermarket and because I only had a couple of items I decided to use the self service, which I usually hate and avoid.
It was just over a quid so I searched my pocket for change to pay instead of using my card.

It reminded me that it's the first time this year i've paid for something with cash.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about the only time I use cash is in the pub (buying beer on plastic is dangerous) and when I pop into the corner shop for some bread or milk.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I use it all the time except for bigger purchases or paying for stuff online. For everyday shopping I use cash. I just bought a bag of crisps and I used coins for that.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Very rarely I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used it in the past year
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cash. I gave my window cleaner a ten pound note for cleaning the windows and the gutters.

Otherwise only if I want to go to the cinema or shop in charity shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just about the only time I use cash is in the pub (buying beer on plastic is dangerous) and when I pop into the corner shop for some bread or milk.
    ah, I haven't been to the pub this year :(

Roll on Friday night though! :D

Life has changed - no more saying I have to goto the cashpoint first. I just get cashback in the pub.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use cash most of the time. I find that I'm more likely to make unnecessary impulse buys when using my card whereas actually physically handing over money tends to sober me up and makes me reconsider.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every day.

Edit: Well apart from the days I don't leave the house. I never use cards in a shop.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    smc81 wrote: »
    I use cash most of the time. I find that I'm more likely to make unnecessary impulse buys when using my card whereas actually physically handing over money tends to sober me up and makes me reconsider.

I'm the opposite if I can't see the cash I'm less likely to use it.

Plus have no cash on me means I don't tend to get lazy and say order a takeaway as that would mean needed cash and I would have to go to the machine for it anyway.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very often. I sometimes go out at lunch with my colleagues and use cash then.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I use it all the time except for bigger purchases or paying for stuff online. For everyday shopping I use cash. I just bought a bag of crisps and I used coins for that.

Ditto
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost always use cash.I love actual,physical money.Even though the small change mounts up over the months,that is good as well because I chuck it all in a few containers and change it at one of those machines in the supermarkets.Even getting 90p for a pound,I got £130 last time I changed it.

A while back,when I used to bag up my change and take it to the bank,I saved all my small change for about two years or more, and threw in the occasional £1 or £2coin.I got up to £600 and bought a digital SLR camera!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time to be honest, but i did use my card in morrisions this evening, but normally pay with cash.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be really pro-cash but now I'm not. I don't think I've used any cash for the year yet.

It just takes too long for maladroit people like me. You have to unzip wallet, take out notes, unzip the coin compartment… Then, if you receive change it's more drama as you have to balance the receipt, any notes and coins plus inevitably the coins fall off your palm start rolling all over the floor - madness! I can't be doing with all that.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much every day as I usually end up having to nip to the corner shop for bread and milk. The only time I use my card in there is if I'm getting more than just that as there's a 50p charge for doing so.
    Plus have no cash on me means I don't tend to get lazy and say order a takeaway as that would mean needed cash and I would have to go to the machine for it anyway.

Heh, round here our favourite (none Chinese that is) takeaway is on Just Eat so having cash isn't required!
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid in cash in the supermarket the other day, £45, the assistant looked as if she thought l'd stolen it from somewhere.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I only use cash if I have to, usually for topping up my gas and electric. I give my son cash for his dinner at College, my younger sons dinner money is topped up online. Everything else is paid using my debit card.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to use cash all the time except for large purchases or online shopping.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A while back,when I used to bag up my change and take it to the bank,I saved all my small change for about two years or more, and threw in the occasional £1 or £2coin.I got up to £600 and bought a digital SLR camera!

I have a container into which I throw in any loose change smaller than 50p. It hasn't been emptied in over a year but it's looking ready to take down the the coin machine at the supermarket. Even though you pay a percentage fee it's still less hassle than counting, bagging it and taking it all to the bank.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use cash for everything apart from online and large purchases.
    thing is, if i use my card i forget how much i have been spending, then get a shock when i get a statement thru the post. with cash i can see how much i am spending & how much is remaining.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Every day.

Edit: Well apart from the days I don't leave the house. I never use cards in a shop.

I'm the same ,always use Cash
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So rarely that I could say 'never'

All shopping, both in shop and online is done with card

Petrol bought with card

We only go to pubs and restaurants that take cards

Order takeaways online with our card

Pay for parking on my phone

The only time it crops up and causes me a problem is when they want money for the tea and coffee tin at work and I never have cash, then have to remember to stop off somewhere to draw out some money, never do, then get asked again and again, never remember and so it goes on.
    Also leaving and birthday collections at work, I never have any cash

I would love to have a window cleaner but I know its doomed to fail as he wont take card payments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the time, unless I have to buy something big or online. The only time I really use my card is if I have to take some money out.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Every time I go out. I regularly shop in charity shops and only spend a couple of £'s, so I need cash.
    I'd say I use my card an equal amount though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »

I would love to have a window cleaner but I know its doomed to fail as he wont take card payments
    See if you can find one who takes paypal payments :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yesterday I was in the supermarket and because I only had a couple of items I decided to use the self service, which I usually hate and avoid.
    It was just over a quid so I searched my pocket for change to pay instead of using my card.

It reminded me that it's the first time this year i've paid for something with cash.

so youve had some loose change in your pocket from last year ?

i very rarely use cash nowadays...only time i use cash is to give my kid pocket money ...or pay the dealer