Man United Supporters Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a detailed article on the BBC web site written by Savage talking about the MUFC line up for the CL game V BM which talked about how Mata should be deployed - he did not seem aware that Mata was unavailable cos of being cup tied.

Honestly if I wrote on a prestigious national web site I would make sure that my basic facts were right - but not our Robbie it seems

He gets paid for being the 'everyman' moron. That means that he doesn't have to do any research.

That level of professionalism is for those who have 'never played the game', apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Of course it is, I'm being flippant.

I know. I was just making it clear for the 'characters' of the forum.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nearly 11:05 and we haven't been on MOTD yet.

I blame Moyes. And Fergie. And the Glazers. And the banner. And Drasdo. And the plane.

:D
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me neither, Bloody hell Terry, you and I are agreeing on something :o:)

I can't remember a time when I have disagreed with you, I'm quite easy.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    It's nearly 11:05 and we haven't been on MOTD yet.

I blame Moyes. And Fergie. And the Glazers. And the banner. And Drasdo. And the plane.

:D

I noticed on Soccer Saturday United were the first topic of conversation. Usually this season they're mentioned around 2.30! lol

But it is strange these days being on MOTD near the end of the programme. They only feature near the start if it's another humiliating defeat, of course.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Just read his latest comments, really can't stand the guy any longer.
    “A lot of the stuff I do is a building plan – I’m here to build a team which I’ve done in the past: take it forward and introduce young players, that is what I am trying to do,” Moyes said.

Guardiola also inherited a daunting legacy and, if anything, Bayern have improved, but Moyes is quick to stress the differences.

“He had a year of preparation before he took the job in Munich,” Moyes said. “It gave him the chance to learn German, watch the games, so I think he did take over maybe a bit more prepared and ready. Also, with respect, he took over the champions of Europe which means they had a lot of things in place.”
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many excuses. He could write a book.

Bottom line is he inheritted a side that won the title 9 months ago.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “He had a year of preparation before he took the job in Munich,” Moyes said. “It gave him the chance to learn German, watch the games, so I think he did take over maybe a bit more prepared and ready. Also, with respect, he took over the champions of Europe which means they had a lot of things in place.”

Moyes really doesn't help himself when he opens his mouth. Where's Phelan when you need him?
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Poor ol' Moyes, only had three months to learn English :(

It's like the guy has zero self awareness about what he is saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't really give a toss what he says, anymore.

Win games, play well. That's all that he has to do. And too often, he's failed to do it.

Smash Bayern, and I might start to believe that there's something there. Of course, there's more chance of a Macheda-Messi swap deal, but keep the dream alive, eh?
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    “A lot of the stuff I do is a building plan – I’m here to build a team which I’ve done in the past: take it forward and introduce young players, that is what I am trying to do,” Moyes said.

Guardiola also inherited a daunting legacy and, if anything, Bayern have improved, but Moyes is quick to stress the differences.

This is KJs quote again. It deserves to be copied and pasted.

Actually read it.

Moyes is comparing his situation to Pep at Bayern and the key differences seems to be, in his eyes, that Pep had a year in which to learn the language and watch games. Flawless logic when you transpose it back to Moyes at United and realise that he speaks the same f****** language and has had eleven bastarding years to watch games because its the same league that he has always managed in.

Oh and because Pep took over the CL winners he had a lot of things in place? Unlike when you take over the champions of your country where everything is just thrown together and you have to start again from scratch………Seriously if anyone, even the biggest Moyes fan, is reading these quotes over the weekend and feels anything other than a sense of hatred building up from their stomach then they need to re-read.

Oh, and if you have taken the Champions of England from Champions to mid-table what the hell are you doing getting involved in a discussion whereby you are comparing yourself to a coach who has made a seamless transition? Why would you even go there? Back out, make excuses, don't draw attention to the fact that you are a failure. Its so basic its untrue.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    This is KJs quote again. It deserves to be copied and pasted.

Actually read it.

Moyes is comparing his situation to Pep at Bayern and the key differences seems to be, in his eyes, that Pep had a year in which to learn the language and watch games. Flawless logic when you transpose it back to Moyes at United and realise that he speaks the same f****** language and has had eleven bastarding years to watch games because its the same league that he has always managed in.

Oh and because Pep took over the CL winners he had a lot of things in place? Unlike when you take over the champions of your country where everything is just thrown together and you have to start again from scratch………Seriously if anyone, even the biggest Moyes fan, is reading these quotes over the weekend and feels anything other than a sense of hatred building up from their stomach then they need to re-read.

Oh, and if you have taken the Champions of England from Champions to mid-table what the hell are you doing getting involved in a discussion whereby you are comparing yourself to a coach who has made a seamless transition? Why would you even go there? Back out, make excuses, don't draw attention to the fact that you are a failure. Its so basic its untrue.

I actually felt my stomach churning with anger reading that latest Moyes utterance.
    It's pure self-serving and at the same time total BS, I'm beginning to think that he is taking some medication of some sort!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good opinion piece in the Guardian from David James about Moyes

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/29/david-moyes-everton-ways-manchester-united
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I actually felt my stomach churning with anger reading that latest Moyes utterance.
    It's pure self-serving and at the same time total BS, I'm beginning to think that he is taking some medication of some sort!

The only people who have lost the plot in any way are people like yourself. Picking apart every comment a manager makes and trying to twist it against him, you're embarrassing yourself.

You have De Gea, Rooney and Van Persie and the rest of the team are average, so the team is sitting pretty much exactly where it should be in the league. I'm not sure where you think the team should be or what manager you think would achieve this?

Give the guy a chance to do his job, the impatience of football fans nowadays is ridiculous and pathetic. Surely your club more than any should know that results are achieved when you give a manager time to do their job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    The only people who have lost the plot in any way are people like yourself. Picking apart every comment a manager makes and trying to twist it against him, you're embarrassing yourself.

You have De Gea, Rooney and Van Persie and the rest of the team are average, so the team is sitting pretty much exactly where it should be in the league. I'm not sure where you think the team should be or what manager you think would achieve this?

Give the guy a chance to do his job, the impatience of football fans nowadays is ridiculous and pathetic. Surely your club more than any should know that results are achieved when you give a manager time to do their job.

Chelsea, Man City, Real, Barcelona, Bayern and countless Italian teams all have had multiple managers who have come into the club and been a success without needing years to show results. This idea that stability = success has been disproven time and time again. Alex Ferguson was the exception not the rule. What other clubs have kept an underachieving manager for multiple seasons and gone on to be successful?
    Forum Member

LOL!

Yeah, question the person with 20 years of season tickets behind her.

Good one.

Ive highlighted a part of your post, please explain it to me. However before you start have a wee think about the difference between taking over a club in 1986 that needs to be rebuilt from top to bottom and hasn't won the title for 20 years with inheriting the current Champions.

Take your time, you'll need it.

Oh and to qualify for this discussion please tell us which club you support and how long your current manager has been in post.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    statement from the organisers of the flyby today. Whatever you think of the intention its hard to argue with the comments.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/215202457/Post-Match-Press-Release#fullscreen

Spot on, agree with every word. Fair, concise and reasonable. From Champions to 7th, with the manager's previous team higher in the league than us.

I don't agree with others on here who have said Moyes needs time, not based on where we are now. If we were showing signs of improvement, then yes, but we're not. I believe if we stick with him for even another season, then this time next year, we'll be in a very worrying part of the league table. I don't doubt or dispute he's a decent man with integrity and I wish him well, but this doesn't change the fact that he's not the right man to manage our club and inspire our players.

I didn't expect us to win the league this season but I did hope for top 5. That seriously isn't too much to ask - after all, as the statement by the banner organisers says, other teams who have changed managers are doing well (and Chelsea's standards haven't fallen, have they).
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally disagree with this! For a start some of the stuff Moyes has come out with this season is small time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he absolutely reminds me of Roy Hodgson at Liverpool. He's out of his depth.

If I were a United fan, there would be a few things worrying me. Firstly that the board are seriously contemplating giving him so much money in the summer and secondly that he is actually gaining support because people are feeling sorry for him, in regards to this banner nonsense etc.

If you guys lose to Munich (and that is an if, because unlike others I think you have a chance albeit a small one) then the board have to take action.

Hes a good manager for a mid table or relegation threatened club but that is it. If you keep him on and he proves me wrong then fair play to him, but if the United board don't want to sack him because they don't think its a United thing to do, then that is very dangerous in my opinion
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only people who have lost the plot in any way are people like yourself. Picking apart every comment a manager makes and trying to twist it against him, you're embarrassing yourself. .

Most of Moyes' comments speak for themselves. Liverpool are favourites. We should aim to be at City's level. Guardiola had an advantage because Bayern had things in place. Nobody needs to twist anything, Moyes digs his own grave every time he talks.

(Speaking about having things in place, good job on cancelling the Alcantara deal, and changing the backroom staff in the first few weeks)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!

Yeah, question the person with 20 years of season tickets behind her.

Good one.

Ive highlighted a part of your post, please explain it to me. However before you start have a wee think about the difference between taking over a club in 1986 that needs to be rebuilt from top to bottom and hasn't won the title for 20 years with inheriting the current Champions.

Take your time, you'll need it.

Oh and to qualify for this discussion please tell us which club you support and how long your current manager has been in post.

I don't support any club team.

Although your team were champions last season, let's make a realistic assessment of where your squad's abilities lie. Man Utd's squad is way behind Man City and Chelsea's and probably on a par with the other teams battling for Champions League football in the Premiership. Only De Gea, Rooney and Van Persie, (maybe Rafael?) would be good enough to play for a team which could challenge for the title. The whole Man Utd defence and midfield needs an overhaul and that is not something which can happen overnight.

So, what needed to happen was appointing the correct man and then giving him time to make that overhaul. The people who made the decision, Alex Ferguson being one of them, are far more qualified and have far more information at their hands than you or I to decide who the right man for the job was. If Moyes was their decision, then you have to trust that and support the team. Give the guy a chance to do his job.

That's the problem with football fans nowadays. The first slight sign of trouble and they're demanding the manager sacked. There are far too many clubs stuck in cycles of hiring a new manager every 12-18 months or less because they bow to fan pressure and sack managers at the first sign of trouble. The clubs that are brave enough to ignore this pressure and stand by their manager are the ones that reap the rewards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I totally disagree with this! For a start some of the stuff Moyes has come out with this season is small time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he absolutely reminds me of Roy Hodgson at Liverpool. He's out of his depth.

If I were a United fan, there would be a few things worrying me. Firstly that the board are seriously contemplating giving him so much money in the summer and secondly that he is actually gaining support because people are feeling sorry for him, in regards to this banner nonsense etc.

If you guys lose to Munich (and that is an if, because unlike others I think you have a chance albeit a small one) then the board have to take action.

Hes a good manager for a mid table or relegation threatened club but that is it. If you keep him on and he proves me wrong then fair play to him, but if the United board don't want to sack him because they don't think its a United thing to do, then that is very dangerous in my opinion

They wouldn't have appointed him if he was just 'a good manager for a mid-table or relegation-threatened club.'
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wouldn't have appointed him if he was just 'a good manager for a mid-table or relegation-threatened club.'

And that's the baffling thing, because that's all Moyes is.

And it's not a case at wanting to get rid 'at the first sign of trouble'. The fans have stuck by him for months now, even those who didn't think he was the right appointment (I certainly didn't) but hoped he'd do well - we want him to do well!. But it quite clear, as time has gone on, that the job is too big for him, United and Moyes is not a good fit and never will be - sometimes that just happens, and it's time to acknowledge that and for both parties to part ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    And that's the baffling thing, because that's all Moyes is.

And it's not a case at wanting to get rid 'at the first sign of trouble'. The fans have stuck by him for months now, even those who didn't think he was the right appointment (I certainly didn't) but hoped he'd do well - we want him to do well!. But it quite clear, as time has gone on, that the job is too big for him, United and Moyes is not a good fit and never will be - sometimes that just happens, and it's time to acknowledge that and for both parties to part ways.

'The fans have stuck by him for months now.'

Hahaha, that's exactly my point right there. 'Months now,' said as if that's a long period of time. Support the team, have a bit of trust and give the guy time to do his job.
    Forum Member
    'The fans have stuck by him for months now.'

Hahaha, that's exactly my point right there. 'Months now,' said as if that's a long period of time. Support the team, have a bit of trust and give the guy time to do his job.

Thanks for your input.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "first signs of trouble"??
This discussion has been closed.