Options

Why do motorists hang about at green?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
Following on from the thread about not heeding traffic lights at red, here's another thing I have noticed.

When the lights go green some motorists are really slow to get away making for an oversized gap in the traffic that means that three or four cars have to wait for the next sequence due to the unnecessary delay. I have even seen people very slow to get away from rest then go through amber or red. Sometimes people even sit there when green arrives and not move and red comes on again (usually they are given a horn blast from behind which moves them reluctantly on).

I asked around and everyone says that they are quick away at green but someone must at least have had a lift from a 'green lingerer'. What are they doing? Are they dreaming or looking out the side window? Its almost as if they are not expecting to have to move in the near future!

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably they are waiting for all the red light jumpers from the other thread to get out of their way? :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too busy texting probably.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new york minute.
    The time between the light turning green and the guy behind sounding his horn.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely texting. Check your rear view mirror when waiting and you'll regularly see the dope behind bobbing their head up and down like a hen pecking at the ground.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Texting. Or daydreaming about the next cyclist they want to run over. ;-)If they're manuals not automatics they seem to take an age as well.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Definitely texting. Check your rear view mirror when waiting and you'll regularly see the dope behind bobbing their head up and down like a hen pecking at the ground.

Are you sure they're texting:o:D?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Because they wait until the lights green, before releasing handbrake (if they have one), and selecting first gear. It amazes me how many people can't read the traffic lights sequences ie when there's is going to be next etc so they can be ready to move.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Presumably they are waiting for all the red light jumpers from the other thread to get out of their way? :)

Yes, that'll be it! Always 4 cars going through red.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Bristol the traffic lights are set to be red on the road that has traffic on it and green when there’s nothing to go so we tend to fall asleep waiting for green.:)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they have more sense than to assume that 'green means go'.

A sensible motorist knows that 'green means consider going' and therefore at least some of these motorists are probably assessing the junction before actually moving.

As I mentioned in that other thread I was once on the outside of someone who thought that 'green meant go'. He got T-boned from the right by an arsehole who ran the red lights. As he shot off he probably laughed at the Nissan Sunny alongside who hadn't even started to move. I'm not sure but he'd probably stopped laughing by the time the ambulance arrived to carry him to hospital.

For the morbidly curious it happened here, shortly after the junction opened.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Maybe they have more sense than to assume that 'green means go'.

A sensible motorist knows that 'green means consider going' and therefore at least some of these motorists are probably assessing the junction before actually moving.

Quite - at one of the junctions on my commute you can guarantee there will be right turners coming onto the ring road long after they have got the red light. If I shot forward the instant I got the green light I would smack into them.
    Also my car has a bit of a sticky clutch so it can take a little while to get in gear:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP is referring mainly to those who are not paying attention to the lights and without a gentle reminder would continue to not pay attention.

a green light does indeed mean proceed if it safe to do so, but ultimately it does mean, its time to move off.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    The new york minute.
    The time between the light turning green and the guy behind sounding his horn.

I thought that was the definition of a split second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I thought that was the definition of a split second.

not according to the urban dictionary
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    before releasing handbrake (if they have one), and selecting first gear.
    Er, they should be selecting first gear *then* releasing the handbrake.

Me? I select first gear when I see the lights for the cross-traffic go Amber then ready to release the handbrake as my lights go Red and Amber. Of course if it is a set of lights that I know is on a quick change cycle then I go straight into first gear as I pull up. Or if in the works van with its damn slow semi-automatic gearbox.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they wait until the lights green, before releasing handbrake (if they have one), and selecting first gear. It amazes me how many people can't read the traffic lights sequences ie when there's is going to be next etc so they can be ready to move.

Yes, and even if you're in an unfamiliar area and don't know it's going to be your turn next, that's what the amber light is for. It's telling you to get ready because it's your turn next, so time to get the handbrake off and gear in.

I do realise there's times when you just miss it, very occasionally you might be looking for somewhere and trying to get your bearings in an unfamiliar place and get distracted from the lights for a moment.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Following on from the thread about not heeding traffic lights at red, here's another thing I have noticed.

When the lights go green some motorists are really slow to get away making for an oversized gap in the traffic that means that three or four cars have to wait for the next sequence due to the unnecessary delay. I have even seen people very slow to get away from rest then go through amber or red. Sometimes people even sit there when green arrives and not move and red comes on again (usually they are given a horn blast from behind which moves them reluctantly on).

I asked around and everyone says that they are quick away at green but someone must at least have had a lift from a 'green lingerer'. What are they doing? Are they dreaming or looking out the side window? Its almost as if they are not expecting to have to move in the near future!

Have you ever thought of starting your journeys five minutes earlier?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    This phenomenon was around long before mobile phones and texting ... hence the age old head-out-of-the-window question "What f**kin' shade of green are you waiting for?"

I would also suggest that in the vast majority of cases it is not because the driver at the front is waiting for any red-light-jumpers to clear the junction. It happens even when there's no approaching traffic, and it's clear that most "lingerers" simply aren't ready to move when it's safe and legal to do so. A green light seems to come as a bit of a surprise ... in just the same way as so many people at the supermarket checkout seem surprised when they're told the total price of their shopping, so the thought process is along the lines of ... "Oh, do I now have to pay? Where did I put my purse/wallet?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I think the OP is referring mainly to those who are not paying attention to the lights and without a gentle reminder would continue to not pay attention.

a green light does indeed mean proceed if it safe to do so, but ultimately it does mean, its time to move off.

Exactly that - those who are part of a queue but when they are supposed to move along (at least as far as the lights) they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Have you ever thought of starting your journeys five minutes earlier?

I am rarely late as I set off in good time however I would rather be driving along as opposed to waiting for no good reason just because someone wants to 'do their own thing' in the rush hour traffic.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people exaggerate this stuff.

I mean, if you're ever sat at a set of lights by yourself, try counting slowly to 5 after the lights turn green before you move forward.
    It seems like an eternity but it's just 5 seconds.

I guess some people don't pay attention to the flow of other traffic in order to pre-empt the lights by selecting a gear and placing their hand on the handbrake, ready to move away, and those people will always be slower away from the lights but, geez, it'll only be by a few seconds.

And, so what if you don't get through that set of lights because the person in front was tardy in pulling away?
    You'll get through next time the lights go green, 2 minutes later.

Don't sweat the small stuff. :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    But that five seconds can turn into a couple of minutes if it means someone behind having to wait for the next cycle. Do that ten times and you are pushing half an hour of lost time.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    But that five seconds can turn into a couple of minutes if it means someone behind having to wait for the next cycle. Do that ten times and you are pushing half an hour of lost time.

If you go through that many lights every day and you're still finding yourself late arriving at your destination then it's probably time to question your own planning abilities.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is they drive me up the wall.
    I am always ready when the lights change to green, car in gear, handbrake off no messing about with gears etc, as I appreciate other drivers behind me maybe in a hurry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    But that five seconds can turn into a couple of minutes if it means someone behind having to wait for the next cycle

oh i see, an anti cycle thread by the back door.

:D